#
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 pm 

anyone here know more about this kind of transmission?, it is a manual but it also use a torque converter from what it looked like, its from a jdm galant sapporo non turbo sohc 4g63

Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:07 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:53 am 
Administrator

old colt would know

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 am 

matt wrote:
old colt would know

yep i hope he does, just wanna know if this ones worth using :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:04 pm 

FWIW, I believe Volkswagen had a similar set-up in some of the old Beetles. It shifted like a stick shift but had no clutch pedal...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:47 pm 

john wrote:
FWIW, I believe Volkswagen had a similar set-up in some of the old Beetles. It shifted like a stick shift but had no clutch pedal...

i also think so, we had an auto stick bug before, but this galant still had a clutch pedal and well, a clutch... haha

i'm thinking how do you use this thing as i never driven one, let alone ever seen one, like do you use the clutch only in first gear when going from a stand still then no more clutching when its running or do you use it the same way a real manual and clutch every shift?, OLD COLT WHERE ART THOU?... hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:41 am 

Probably on Classic-Colt where he is more active? :wink:
I messaged him on ClassicColt, so he'll probably jump on here sometime soon. :)

77 Colt Galant Wagon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 am 

RaptorReed wrote:
Probably on Classic-Colt where he is more active? :wink:
I messaged him on ClassicColt, so he'll probably jump on here sometime soon. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:13 pm 

Some interesting reading that may shed some light on this transmission. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/fluidrive.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:45 pm 

OzLuvTrucker wrote:
Some interesting reading that may shed some light on this transmission. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/fluidrive.html

thanks, almost the same set up or actually the same set up :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:50 pm 

FYI

Quote:
Apparently the NSU RO 80 also used a torque converter and clutch:

The alternative NSU finally chose was the three-speed Saxomat, a semi-automatic transmission made by Fitchel & Sachs, also used by Porsche under the name Sportmatic. The Saxomat was essentially a standard three-speed synchromesh gearbox (with an overdrive top gear) with both a dry-plate clutch and a torque converter, sharing the engine's oil supply. The clutch was operated by a vacuum servo, controlled by a switch in the top of the shift lever; simply touching the gearshift knob would disengage the clutch. The Saxomat's torque converter offered two major advantages for the Ro 80. First, there was no direct mechanical connection between the engine and the gearbox (the gearbox input shaft was driven by the converter turbine), largely eliminating the overrun snatch. Second, the converter provided additional torque multiplication at lower speeds (2.3:1 at stall), helping to compensate for the Wankel's mediocre low-end torque, as well as reducing the need to shift in gentle driving. (A fully automatic transmission was apparently ruled out because it would have sapped too much engine power.)

(from here:http://ateupwithmotor.com/luxury-and-personal-luxury-cars/298-nsu-ro80-history.html?start=2)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:06 am 

john wrote:
FYI

Quote:
Apparently the NSU RO 80 also used a torque converter and clutch:

The alternative NSU finally chose was the three-speed Saxomat, a semi-automatic transmission made by Fitchel & Sachs, also used by Porsche under the name Sportmatic. The Saxomat was essentially a standard three-speed synchromesh gearbox (with an overdrive top gear) with both a dry-plate clutch and a torque converter, sharing the engine's oil supply. The clutch was operated by a vacuum servo, controlled by a switch in the top of the shift lever; simply touching the gearshift knob would disengage the clutch. The Saxomat's torque converter offered two major advantages for the Ro 80. First, there was no direct mechanical connection between the engine and the gearbox (the gearbox input shaft was driven by the converter turbine), largely eliminating the overrun snatch. Second, the converter provided additional torque multiplication at lower speeds (2.3:1 at stall), helping to compensate for the Wankel's mediocre low-end torque, as well as reducing the need to shift in gentle driving. (A fully automatic transmission was apparently ruled out because it would have sapped too much engine power.)

(from here:http://ateupwithmotor.com/luxury-and-personal-luxury-cars/298-nsu-ro80-history.html?start=2)

thanks also, but i think the fluidrive is much similar to the one i had which is seemingly only a manual tranny with just a torque converter, no servos or vacuums or switches or whatnot...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]