#
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:02 pm


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
Author Message
 Post subject: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 am
Posts: 135
Location: philippines
anyone here know more about this kind of transmission?, it is a manual but it also use a torque converter from what it looked like, its from a jdm galant sapporo non turbo sohc 4g63

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:07 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 am
Posts: 135
Location: philippines
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:53 am 
Administrator

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:45 pm
Posts: 2568
old colt would know


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 am
Posts: 135
Location: philippines
matt wrote:
old colt would know


yep i hope he does, just wanna know if this ones worth using :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:04 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:57 pm
Posts: 8526
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
FWIW, I believe Volkswagen had a similar set-up in some of the old Beetles. It shifted like a stick shift but had no clutch pedal...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 am
Posts: 135
Location: philippines
john wrote:
FWIW, I believe Volkswagen had a similar set-up in some of the old Beetles. It shifted like a stick shift but had no clutch pedal...


i also think so, we had an auto stick bug before, but this galant still had a clutch pedal and well, a clutch... haha

i'm thinking how do you use this thing as i never driven one, let alone ever seen one, like do you use the clutch only in first gear when going from a stand still then no more clutching when its running or do you use it the same way a real manual and clutch every shift?, OLD COLT WHERE ART THOU?... hahaha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:41 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 434
Location: tumwater, WA
Probably on Classic-Colt where he is more active? :wink:
I messaged him on ClassicColt, so he'll probably jump on here sometime soon. :)

_________________
91 Galant VR4 1350/2000
76 Colt Galant Coupe
75 Colt Galant Wagon
77 Colt Galant Wagon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 am
Posts: 135
Location: philippines
RaptorReed wrote:
Probably on Classic-Colt where he is more active? :wink:
I messaged him on ClassicColt, so he'll probably jump on here sometime soon. :)


thanks :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:13 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:41 am
Posts: 38
Location: Australia
Some interesting reading that may shed some light on this transmission. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/fluidrive.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:45 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 am
Posts: 135
Location: philippines
OzLuvTrucker wrote:
Some interesting reading that may shed some light on this transmission. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/fluidrive.html


thanks, almost the same set up or actually the same set up :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:50 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:57 pm
Posts: 8526
Location: Arlington, TX, USA
FYI

Quote:
Apparently the NSU RO 80 also used a torque converter and clutch:

The alternative NSU finally chose was the three-speed Saxomat, a semi-automatic transmission made by Fitchel & Sachs, also used by Porsche under the name Sportmatic. The Saxomat was essentially a standard three-speed synchromesh gearbox (with an overdrive top gear) with both a dry-plate clutch and a torque converter, sharing the engine's oil supply. The clutch was operated by a vacuum servo, controlled by a switch in the top of the shift lever; simply touching the gearshift knob would disengage the clutch. The Saxomat's torque converter offered two major advantages for the Ro 80. First, there was no direct mechanical connection between the engine and the gearbox (the gearbox input shaft was driven by the converter turbine), largely eliminating the overrun snatch. Second, the converter provided additional torque multiplication at lower speeds (2.3:1 at stall), helping to compensate for the Wankel's mediocre low-end torque, as well as reducing the need to shift in gentle driving. (A fully automatic transmission was apparently ruled out because it would have sapped too much engine power.)

(from here:http://ateupwithmotor.com/luxury-and-personal-luxury-cars/298-nsu-ro80-history.html?start=2)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what transmission is this?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:06 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:07 am
Posts: 135
Location: philippines
john wrote:
FYI

Quote:
Apparently the NSU RO 80 also used a torque converter and clutch:

The alternative NSU finally chose was the three-speed Saxomat, a semi-automatic transmission made by Fitchel & Sachs, also used by Porsche under the name Sportmatic. The Saxomat was essentially a standard three-speed synchromesh gearbox (with an overdrive top gear) with both a dry-plate clutch and a torque converter, sharing the engine's oil supply. The clutch was operated by a vacuum servo, controlled by a switch in the top of the shift lever; simply touching the gearshift knob would disengage the clutch. The Saxomat's torque converter offered two major advantages for the Ro 80. First, there was no direct mechanical connection between the engine and the gearbox (the gearbox input shaft was driven by the converter turbine), largely eliminating the overrun snatch. Second, the converter provided additional torque multiplication at lower speeds (2.3:1 at stall), helping to compensate for the Wankel's mediocre low-end torque, as well as reducing the need to shift in gentle driving. (A fully automatic transmission was apparently ruled out because it would have sapped too much engine power.)

(from here:http://ateupwithmotor.com/luxury-and-personal-luxury-cars/298-nsu-ro80-history.html?start=2)


thanks also, but i think the fluidrive is much similar to the one i had which is seemingly only a manual tranny with just a torque converter, no servos or vacuums or switches or whatnot...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
610nm Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net