#
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:08 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: 1973 Colt Galant GTO
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:02 pm 

Hey guys,

I own a 1973 Mitsi Galant Colt GTO, I am wanting to restore her as much as I can possible to original, I am wondering if anyone knows of where I can find photos of an original interior, and did it come out factory with rear seatbelts and also where abouts were the front seatbelts mounted? My ones are mounted on the roof quite far behind the front seat and it damn near chokes you when you are driving, like they are def in the wrong place. They are retractable modern seatbelts but in the back I have really cool old big chrome buckles that are non retractable, I would just like to know if they are factory or not. I really want to change the front seatbelts cause they are horrible when you wear them. She has quite a bit of rust in the regular places but I am slowly saving up to get that done. Also it has a 4G63 in it, that was not a standard engine in them was it?

Cheers
Jayne

Attachments:
File comment: Some of my little personal touches to make it one of a kind :)
My car 1.jpg
My car 1.jpg [ 59.86 KiB | Viewed 2172 times ]
File comment: My little red rocket
My car 2.jpg
My car 2.jpg [ 52.05 KiB | Viewed 2172 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1973 Colt Galant GTO
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:31 pm 
Administrator

welcome aboard!

i think your car came with an astron 2.0 engine originally

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:25 pm 

Location: Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney
Thats some gnarly airbrushing but I can tell you that ain't the original motor. But having said that, its not a bad swap.

Where are you located? Your Rego plates look like Victorian ones, are you in Australia?
If so, check out sigma-galant.com there's a few GTOs over there. Wed love to see more.

As for your seatbelt I had the.same issue in my galant hardtop and I was put onto a set of drop links made by pentastar parts. They make parts for Australian Chryslers (but like most other Chrysler organisations in Australia, don't recognise the relationship between Chryslers and Mitsubishi in Australia)
The drop links are for a Charger but they bolt straight in and are perfect! Should be able to slip them over your existing seatbelts with out any dramas. Madethe world of difference.
also, it should have left the factory with rear belts but I'm not sure, there should be mounts for them either way, and I can't see why a set of galant belts wouldn't fit. They're not retractable in the back either.

Hope that helps a bit.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:32 pm 

Location: Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney
Woops, a link for thee drop links would help huh? :mrgreen:
http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=268

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:14 am 

Welcome to JNC. Good to have another Galant on here.
Being a GS, the original motor would of been a Astron 2.0 though I prefer the Sirius motors (4G6 series).
Is it a single or twin carb 4G63, or is it EFI?
My dad used to have a GB Galant with 4G63 SOHC with twin solex's and that went great.
As for the front seat belts, I know what you mean. I have the same issue with my '76 Galant hardtop. I'm fairly sure that is the original location. I will ask my dad's mate who also has a GTO. What I plan on doing to fix this issue on mine, is put early Scorpion belts.
Good luck with the resto. Really looking forward to seeing it completed.

Nath

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:19 am 

TJ,

Just saw your comment about the droplinks. That's another way to fix that issue.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:11 pm 

Wow, thank you for the reply, you guys sure know your stuff :D. I will have to look into getting some of those droplinks :) thank you again!
I am in New Zealand :). It is only a SOHC with a single carb. She goes like a little red rocket though :). I had run on issues with it but turns out she just liked 98 octane fuel not 91.
The rear seatbelts are non retractable, they mount on the parcel tray when not in use. I love them, I was hoping I could get some for the front. Do they all have colt embedded into the parcel tray? It may take me awhile to save up to get her restored properly, but I will post photos on here once she has been fixed up :).
Thanks again for the help guys!
Cheers
Jayne

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:45 am 

The GTO didn't come with rear seatbelts in NZ, but there are factory mounting points.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1973coltgt ... hotostream

Most GTOs don't have colt embedded into the parcel tray? For photos have a look at
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=galant gto

I think I had a look at your GTO when it was up for sale a while ago. Have contacted the NZ GTO car club as they will be able to answer most of your questions or put you in touch with other owners close to you? Is the car still in Auckland?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:33 pm 

I forgot to mention in my last post, thats not airbrushing, I would love to do airbrushing but thats hand painted, I got bored when I was unemployed lol :D.

Oh ok, I love the rear seatbelts that are in it, they are old style.

Oh really? It says colt and then has some lines either side of it underneath the vinyl on the parcel tray, it also has speaker holes cut into the parcel tray which I am assuming wasn't original either :(
Someone before me had butchered the centre console piece so I have been on the lookout for another one, they cut it up and then tried bogging the back of it up to repair it. It still looks ok for now until I find a replacement. I managed to track down a brake adjuster piece for the rear drum brakes as the other ones teeth had worn and when you applied the handbrake you had to pump the foot brake afterwards to have brakes.

Oh ok, yes I brought her from just out of Kumeu about 2 years ago, but it is not in Auckland anymore, it is in Hamilton, sitting in my garage waiting for me to save up enough to restore it. I did get it a wof when I first brought her but they said the rust had to be done for the next wof so I am not driving it until I have done the rust, there is some pretty gnarly rust in it but nothing thats not fixable!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]