#
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Nate's 72 Colt Project Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:47 pm 

I'm usually over at Classic Colt, but I figured I'd share here as well.

As many of you already have seen, I scored a very nice 72 Colt with the help on Mark (Wagonman). I got it here about a month ago, and have just been trying to go over it and fix little things since then. There isn't allot technically wrong with the car, but I'm going to try to fix a few things more to my likings. I had 4 new tires put on it, as it had 3/4bias plies, it feels like a completely different car now. I also replaced the front wheel bearings, as it was makings a slight ticking sound, but now I really think it was the old brakes on it. I'll be replacing them soon as well.

The car was advertised as being all original with a 5 speed swap. I discovered that it had a 4g35 after it arrived, so apparently something happened to the original engine at some point, something that was bad enough to constitute a JDM import engine. It also has had some paint work on the rear end, not sure when, but I can tell it was done.

Here are a few pictures of the car and some of what I've been doing.

The 5 speed swap in it is a little sketchy in my opinion, it works, but someday I'll be redoing the mounts...

I pulled the carb, as the secondary wasn't opening. My brother did a rebuild for me.

I refurbished and installed a Vintage License plate, in my state we can run them for the year of the car, older than 75(with a V sticker, not shown).

I'm still sorting out some small things, Heater valve issue, I think there is also some trash in the gas tank. I'm hoping to find some nice old mesh wheels for it and a stock dual down draft set up, and maybe a header, but I'm in no rush :D

Post subject: Re: Nate's 72 Colt Project Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:11 pm 

The original 4G32 engine on that Colt was seized. It sat quite a while in one of my customers shop. I found out about the car a day before I was going on vacation. I was going to pick it for chump change the day I was supposed to leave, but the owner did not show up in time. So it never happened. A friend of mine who buys and sells cars ended up with it. He did the 4G35/5spd. swap on it and sold it to the last owner. Last owner was not really mechanically inclined so he did not know what to do with this car. He evenyually got bored with it and tried to sell it on CL with no luck. I had a very clean 74 Colt which he wanted to trade with that 72 Colt, but I declined because I knew how much I could have bought the car.

You have a great car in your hands with alot of potential and very little to do. The interior on that car is pretty cherry and the body needs very minor TLC. You can still get some cool dual downs or sidedraft manifold for these 4G3x series, but its a littlle harder to find headers for it unless you have one made. I am holding a stainless steel header for a buddy, but I'm doubting he will ever sell it. Glad it went to someone who can do some work on it. Cool to hear Mark helped you out on the deal.

-Mike

A picture of your car at a meet last September:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:28 pm 

Thanks for the information, I was hoping to learn a little more about it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:04 am 

your gearbox mount may be in back to front... :D (or is the crossmember just not far back enough?)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:11 am 

Very nice Colt you have there! :tu: :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:42 pm 

Thanks guys!

Hey Brad! I'm glad your doing something with yours! Post some progress, and join up on the classic colt forum as well! Tinkering on this one really has me wanting one I can go crazy and turbo swap, but its not in the cards for now.

Dropped the tank today. someone had already been there... and went way deeper than I did!

The Vent hose was off the tube on the left.

Overall what I could see the tank was just a little nasty, it needs a few tanks ran through it, and a few more fuel filters to clean everything out. I did find a piece of RTV floating around in the tank, and I'm betting its what my stalling issue was.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:00 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Looks like you are doing a great job cleaning her up. I'll be in the market for a 1s gen galant myself pretty soon. I think I'll take most of the summer off and start getting caught up on other projects though.

87 Montero swb turbo, 1987 Minicab van Supercharged
86 mighty max 4x4
84, 85, and 86 lancer ex1800 turbo
78 lancer
73 galant coupe
65 Debonair Deluxe
80's Hero

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:16 am 

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 pm 

Really clean car Nate,where did you get the headers? Can you help me find one. thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:47 am 

Dax, I looked for about a year and one popped up for sale on the Classic Colt Forum. I was lucky enough to be first in line for it. Good luck on your search!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:12 am 

Natedog wrote:
Dax, I looked for about a year and one popped up for sale on the Classic Colt Forum. I was lucky enough to be first in line for it. Good luck on your search!

Wow hows Classic colt going these days? I created that group with Oldcolt years ago! we started out with about five of us on MSN groups.

Nice colt btw, I used to have one just like it, although 90% of it was rust truth be told.

'79 Honda C50
'73 Honda ST90
Custom Honda Chaly
'85 RX7
'79 B1600

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]