#
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Mazda Bus?
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:54 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Now, this is kakoii!

Bring back that Mazda script I say! Neko.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:46 am 
Mild Cam

Is this the rotary-powered bus Mazda manufactured?

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:45 am 

oh I want that!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:08 pm 

what's the front end character script to say "triple diamond mafia" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:55 pm 
Administrator

Camshaft wrote:
Is this the rotary-powered bus Mazda manufactured?

That would be the Parkway. This was simply known as the Mazda Light Bus. No idea why Mitsubishi owned one though. However, you can see Mitsubishi logos on old three-wheeled Mazdas as well, when they were sold under license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:13 am 
JNC Fanatic

That is so unbelievably cool, On my top 5 Mazda's to own list, that's number two, a Mazda light bus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:35 am 

I've got some brochures somewhere with some nice early Mazda buses in it (including this one), pretty rad designs. This one if full Dr. No...I can just see the henchmen pouring out of it!

Thanks for posting it!

Cheers,
Duane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:45 am 

Mazda made these light buses in the 1960s. The bus in the background is the AEVA (A) and the bus in the foreground is the AEVA (C). They were powered by a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine making 81 hp. Both were about 19 ft long and could sit 25 "Comfortable adults" and 45 "Uncomfortable adults". :D
The Parkway rotary was produced 1974-1977 and powered by the 13B engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:28 pm 
Administrator

^ Where was that Light Bus ad from? I didn't know they sold them outside of Japan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:44 am 

B1500boy wrote:
That is so unbelievably cool, On my top 5 Mazda's to own list, that's number two, a Mazda light bus.
Imagine the club committee meetings than woohoo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:54 am 

I don't thing the top is a rotary powered.

Mazda rotary powered bus Parkway.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

(Cut & paste)
The engine on the bus goes...

AS HEAVY as the Roadpacer AP was, it couldn't match the appalling mass of the Mazda Parkway Rotary26 bus. Launched in '74 and sharing the Roadpacer's twin-rotor 13B, the 2.8-tonne 26-seater's max speed was 120km/h (only 40-odd kays behind the Roadpacer). A Super DX version housed 13 passengers but kept the big brother's less-than-pedestrian performance. Mazda seem to look back on the tank with rose-tinted glasses as their website proudly boasts that "[its] most entertaining aspect was the low-vibration and quiet cabin comfort derived from the smooth operation of the rotary engine". We reckon the highlight would've been watching one trundling up Mount Fuji, fully loaded.

Post subject: Good link to Mazda Bus info
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:18 pm 

Here is good info on the Mazda Bus program... :tu:

Mazda sold its first bus in February 1960. It was a 13-seat minibus based on the D1500, Mazda's cab-over semi style compact truck that was sold to the Japan Defence Agency. With the seats folded down, the D1500 could also be used to transport injured soldiers on stretchers. In addition to this convenience, it sported a distinctive design and its comfort levels were on a par with ordinary passenger vehicles of the time. In December 1960, Mazda began exporting the bus to the Middle East, equipped with dual heaters, electrically operated doors and center-opening freestyle doors at the back that enhanced its qualities as an ambulance.

Mazda's first bus for general public use was a 25-seater launched in May 1965, called the Light Bus. With its innovative "dream car" styling, the Light Bus was an improved version of a concept model that had caused a stir at the 1964 Tokyo Motor Show, and was equipped with a 2-liter engine that delivered 81 PS maximum power. The bus featured a huge, curved windshield made from laminated safety glass and a head-turning futuristic styling.
D1500 sold to the Defense Agency (source: The Yoko, March 1960)

Evolution to the Parkway 26

On April 17, 1972, in response to a demand for upscale minibuses, Mazda launched a fully redesigned minibus dubbed the Parkway 26. Based on the outstanding Titan truck of the period, the bus featured rigid suspension, a range of powerful engines and exceptional economy and reliability as well as safety.

The Parkway 26 had the longest wheelbase in its class at 3,285 mm, a wide tread and stabilizers, and its suspension was given optimal spring rates. The engine lineup included a 2.0-liter unit that boosted maximum power from the previous 81 PS to 92 PS. Two diesel engines were also available: a 2.5-liter unit with 77 PS maximum power, and a 2.7-liter version delivering 81 PS maximum power. In addition to modern styling similar to passenger cars of the day and comfortable accommodation for 26 passengers, the interior featured a radio and a powerful heating system with 3-stage switching, soft ceiling trim and other refinements that created a spacious, premium ambience.

On July 22, 1974, Mazda introduced the world's first low-emission, rotary engine (13B) minibus, the Parkway Rotary 26. This bus had the exceptional performance and quietness of a rotary vehicle, as well as outstanding environmental efficiency for its day, which cleared Japan's exhaust gas emissions standards at the time by a wide margin.

-Bern

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]