The car has been running really well the last few weeks. So well infact the daily has been in the garage for three weeks, and when some parts turned up 2 1/2 hours away I thought "why not?".
In preparation for the trip I thought I'd change the water for coolant (water is recommended when putting a new head gasket in) and see if I could work out the rattle in the engine. I was pretty sure it was the timing chain not being tight enough, as it was only noisy at idle and and when coasting in gear. I pulled out the radiator out to access the timing chain guide adjusters and I borrowed a small socket set to fit through the timing cover. At least the socket fit through the adjusting ports on the spare timing covers I had out. Apparently the timing cover in the car has smaller holes compared to the spare ones
The timing chain was tight anyway. The oil pump chain was another story..There is no adjustment or tensioner so it just must be stretched and in need of replacement.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AiPkNrkd0
So I put it all back together and drove off the next morning. Although the temp looks good in this picture, it has never ever been this high before. Turns out there must have been some air in the system, but I had the rest of the coolant bottle in the boot, just incase. At least I know the temperature gauge works! (and I'm so awesome I can drive and take photos)
So a slow and steady 350km later and I was back home
My passenger on the way home
The bit I was most interested in is the electronic dizzy. I've got to work out the wiring and then I'll put in on the current engine. The engine is a D5, which was the final 323 rwd engine. It is a stroked version of the UC which I've currently got, so it is 1.5L.
And tucked away for another day...