#
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 17   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1978 323 wagon
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:35 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

ouch! yeah, I've spilt blood for my cars too!

I've thought that the 1300/capella/808/929/121/626/323 range was the ideal candidate for a MX-5 driveline transplant!

(a 4AGE almost literally bolts up in an 808 too!)

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:46 am 

If 4age's weren't so expensive it might be worth a look. 323's have the same engine bay as the 808 so it should fit in nicely...

I got the engine out of the car today and tipped it over for a look at the crankshaft. I checked two big end bearings and one main bearing and they are all smooth and shiny 8) . I've got to undo the crankshaft pulley bolt before I can check the rest (Otherwise I'll never get it undone)

Tomorrow afternoon my mate and his friend who owns an engine shop are coming past to decide the best parts to rebuild with. A plan shall be hatched and I'll get it all progressing ASAP!

Just incase you wanted to know how much stuff fits in the boot... Including the set of rims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:23 am 
Mild Cam

Damn, I need a wagon! :shock:

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:02 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Modern wagons and soccermum mobiles have nothing on how much a 70's or 80's wagon can fit!

spill the beans timmy, what's the go? I may have also found you a parts donor, but I can't make any promises yet...

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:48 am 

Camshaft wrote:
Damn, I need a wagon! :shock:

ewokracing wrote:
Modern wagons and soccermum mobiles have nothing on how much a 70's or 80's wagon can fit!

spill the beans timmy, what's the go? I may have also found you a parts donor, but I can't make any promises yet...

Yep, wagons are the bomb. I reckon I could fit 3.5 sets of rims in the boot with the back seats down (I just might try this)
Spares are always good! Picking some more bits up this weekend too hopefully..

Big new this week.. Engine parts are in!! The bill is yet to come though

I spent $61.70 today on degreaser, ring compressors, cheapy oil and some wet&dry.

Rebuild starts tomorrow afternoon!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:39 pm 

Last night...

Crank in with new bearings and oiled up, spins like a dream!

New rings on, pistons installed and bolted up to the crank with new bearings!

More details and crappy mobile phone photos to come :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:51 am 

Alrighty. Friday night the engine was stripped down and ready to go. New main bearings are in
Lots of oil putting the bearing caps on
Pistons in. The shop that I got the parts from lent me a set of ring expanders which made it so easy! I bought a set of ring compressors too
Saturday I picked up some bits
Re-trimmed seats, only going to use the fronts as the they came from a hatch (the hatches have different rear seat bottoms)
Better dash top (the top one)
Started painting up the block on sunday
and the other bits
so now the timing cover, fuel pump, engine mounts, water pump, oil pump and timing chain are back on. I've got to tighten up the crankshaft pulley before I can put the sump on.
*note to self- clean garage :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:16 pm 

On thursday night did up the crankshaft bolt. Pretty tight too!
Then put the sump on. Much easier to do with the engine upside down on an engine stand.
Head, camshaft, rocker assembly went on next and approximately did the valve clearances
The clutch went on next, followed by the gearbox after a bit of a struggle..
Called it a night about 12:00 and had Friday free during the day so decided to get the engine in.
Left it yesterday without the radiator and gearbox and engine oil.

Today we decided to get it going. Radiator in, oils in.
Gave it a crank over and nothing. I thought maybe the timing was 180 degrees out, so we swapped it over. Still nothing, so then we noticed the carby wasn't squirting any fuel. Swapped the carby and still nothing. Swapped timing back to what it was at the start and it fired up. It was very rattley from the tappets because we set the clearances cold instead of hot. Pulled off the oil cap to check the oil was getting around and it was all milky :( . Must have had an issue putting the head gasket on, possibly the head/block is warped? Could possibly be the combination of 1.4 block and 1.3 head with the 1.4 head gasket. I'll pull it down Monday to see what happened..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:26 pm 

Sad, you have no luck with it.. :( But will find the answer :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:51 am 

Toyohead wrote:
Sad, you have no luck with it.. :( But will find the answer :wink:

Yep, we'll get to the bottom of it.. Hopefully not too much work!

Engine is out of the car now and head, sump and timing cover are off now.

Nothing obvious it sticking out at the moment, i need to have a better look sometime..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:08 pm 

Alrighty

I put the engine up on the stand and was checking out the timing cover gasket. It wasn't quite the right shape when I put it on and I thought it was possibly leaking water where the water pump feeds into the block. It was in perfect condition when I pulled it apart and had no signs of leaks so I bolted it back up.
Next cause of concern on the list was the head gasket. I cleaned up the bottom of the head again and the top of the block. Dug out my old drawing set square and both surfaces were perfectly flush. I cleaned up the head gasket and bolted it all back together. I wanted to see what would happen when the water pump was running so I knocked up this adapter. (I can't bolt up the flywheel/starter while it's on the stand)
So filled it up with water and turned it over with some Bosch power. Water started spewing out of the camshaft bearings and down the rocker arms. I'm guessing it came up the head bolt holes
Video link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55685928@N03/6271194058/
We weren't sure if the head gasket wasn't sealing or if it was something else. To eliminate the head gasket it got sealed up with liquid gasket goop and bolted up together again. I didn't put the camshaft or rockers on the second time to pinpoint the leaks. I was pretty sure it was the gasket now, as it all worked fine before. So this morning after the goop cured I gave it another spin with the drill, and it was all good, no leaks anywhere.
For the last few months I've had the gold wheels on one side and the black on the other. The black side has been facing out for a change and I'd forgotten how much I like them... :)
I'm thinking the cause of the leak was the brake cleaner I used to clean the block and head before we bolted them together. It's a bit more harsh than the usual degreaser but dries quicker and cleans much better, which is why I used it. When I cleaned the gasket before using it the second time it dissolved the clear layer, which I asume normally helps it to seal.
So I'm going to order some new gaskets this weeks - head, exhaust, sump.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:54 am 

Yeah it's the same one. He was clearing up a bit before the move and I got a few bits off him. His new white one is in pretty good nick so he won't need the repair section.

I might have to pay you a visit sometime to get it installed..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:41 am 

RestoreMaz wrote:
No worries...check out my mate steves 323...almost finished.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEBLvJhfU-Y

Looks like a beast! That's on van 15" wheels?

All my gaskets turned up a few days ago. A new head, sump and exhaust gasket for $50.
Had some time for the car yesterday so I cleaned out all of the gross milky oil. I pulled off the strainer and cleaned out the oil pump and replaced the filter
Flipped it back over and turned it over to suck some fresh oil though the block.
Woo! Nice and clean
Cleaned the top of the block and bottom of the head for the rest of the day to make sure it was clean and dry. So today I put it all back together and torqued up
Adjusted the valves.. The compression now is super strong, I could barely turn it over by hand with my socket wrench :D I hooked up the drill again to spin over the water pump, and there was no leaks like before.
I bolted up most of the bits and pieces. The sump gasket will be ready to go tomorrow, I'll hopefully get a day/afternoon this week to put it in.

The budget so far..
$200 for the bearings/rings/bottom end gasket kit
$15 for ring compresser
~$100 for oil/filters/degreaser
$50 for new gaskets
$30 VRS kit
And thats about it! I was lucky I didn't need to get any major work done. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:57 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

So it was just a bad head gasket that caused your woes?

At least you'll be cruising for summer. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:12 am 

Excellent thread really enjoyed the read :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 am 

Good sign that compression allready :) Looks nice and solid this engine, as a big 1600 but its only 1300 right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:28 am 

ewokracing wrote:
So it was just a bad head gasket that caused your woes?

At least you'll be cruising for summer. 8)

Yeah, it was possibly just the gasket. I took longer this time and was more careful cleaning the faces. I also didn't use so much oil on the camshaft and rockers, which might have got under the gasket before. And I forgot to write this down before, but I used a TC head gasket this time..

Bring on summer :D
Mo's wrote:
Excellent thread really enjoyed the read :D

Thanks! Not quite in the same league as your cars, but it's a start, and a good place to learn and make mistakes.
Toyohead wrote:
Good sign that compression allready :) Looks nice and solid this engine, as a big 1600 but its only 1300 right?

It's a 1400 (UC) with a 1300 (TC) head. It went pretty good before under 70kph with the auto, so should go better with 5 speeds now instead of 3!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:25 am 

Must be getting better as I go along... Bolted up the flywheel and put the clutch and pressure plate on. Lined it up by feel and torqued it up. I kinda forgot while I was torquing it up that the clutch doesn't normally line up first time but thought I'd give it a go nonetheless. After the hour or so me and a friend took last time, it was a real surprise to get it on first go.

So now all the electrics are on, and nothing to do but put it back in.. Hopefully it's not raining tomorrow :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:50 am 

Hooray for sunshine this afternoon when I got home :D (although maybe a bit much at 30 degrees)
This setup is due to the fact that my engine crane doesn't fit under the control arms of the suspension. Gotta jack it up a bit and brick just incase
On the way in...
Put in the radiator next after this photo. The brake booster looks a bit manky, but I don't want to touch it because it works :) ...and I hate brake fluid
So I'd just got the engine in and was putting the fan and radiator on and it started to storm. But I now had a nice empty space at the front of the garage big enough to keep working once I pushed the front in.

I cranked it over till oil and fuel were getting through and then attached up the last of the bits. It started first crank with a bit of choke and a few squirts on the throttle! Gave it a few revs and realized I'd forgotten about a throttle return spring.. I found one on one of my spare carbys and checked the timing: I got 9 degrees BTDC after setting the dizzy in by eye yesterday, against the recommended 8! I've got to put the fan shroud back on before it gets some tweaks. The valves need to be redone hot and the idle and timing need to be sorted - not that it's too far off at the moment.

My biggest fear was that after all this work the gearbox wouldn't work.. The last job to do was connect up the shifter and driveshaft and hope for the best. The clutch was in pretty good condition, and it works fine, and the pedal pressure is just right. From the short reverse and forward up the drive it seems to go well, I might sneak round the block tomorrow if I get home at a decent time to check it out properly.

:D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:31 am 

I had a few things to sort out today:
Rattley valves
Poor idle
Gearbox condition

The first issue ended being exhaust valve no.1. It had somehow rattled itself loose and it wasn't opening the exhaust valve enough and bouncing around between the cam and valve. I re-did it up after checking the clearance, and tightened up the rest to make sure. The engine was now much quieter and smoother.. But not idling very well

The engine would only idle with almost all the choke on, and it didn't get better warm. I checked a few things and the float level in the fuel bowl was well over the mark. To fix the float level it a fair effort, so I just swapped in another carby for now. After I changed the carby the car was super smooth and very easy to start

I did a lap around the block after making all these changes and it goes pretty good. Gearbox shifts well and doesn't make any funny noises. It drives really well so far, I'm really impressed!

Still to do:
Check and tune timing and idle speed
Top up gearbox oil
Fix leak onto passenger floor then put the carpet back in
Split pins on the tie rod ends
Clean inside + out
Boot for the shifter + new gear knob
DIY front wheel alignment

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 17   [ 322 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next