Alrighty. Just got back from a couple of weeks on holidays and I'm keen to get back into it.
This is what I've got to work with:
1) 1415cc UC that came with the auto gearbox, codename 1.4A.
This is the engine that I used for a month before the oil pressure issues from the clogged oil pickup. The crankshaft is worn and the big end bearings are shot. The camshaft is also worn and the head has been scored, but is savable. The intake manifold is a late type auto with all the emissions stuff blanked off. The exhaust manifold is a late type air injection with the EGR blanked off.
It's the one on the left
The head looks new and has been skimmed before. The only issue is the scoring from the cam.
Big end bearings
And the crankshaft.
2) 1415cc UC that came with a 5 speed gearbox, codename 1.4M.
This is the engine that I put in the car and found out it had no compression. I pulled off the head and there is scoring in the bores and a bit of corrosion on the head. It's also got a spilt valve. The camshaft is a good condition Crow Cam, it looks identical to stock though unfortunately. The intake manifold is a late type manual 1.4 with all the emissions stuff intact. The exhaust manifold is the late type air injection type. I'm not sure how good the clutch is either.
Where it is now
Bores are scored, it makes a squeak when you turn it over
Corroded head , it has also been skimmed before
Valve doesn't look too good
Head is reasonable on the top, but the exhaust manifold is stuck on with some rusty nuts I can't get off
3) 1272cc TC that came with a 4 speed manual, codename 1.3M.
I pulled this one apart before finding out the other one didn't work. The car I got it from had no bonnet, and no.4 piston looked to have been filled with water for a period of time. It's an early 1.3 with a single row timing chain. It was all sludgy inside. The head is in good condition but the valves on no.4 were all rusty.
From the refund of the rego and insurance I've got $636.92. The plan is to get all the work done for less than this so I'll keep a running total.
At the moment the plan is to get the crank from 1.4A reground and a new set of bearings. This will be put into block 1.4A because it was a good runner before, and had pretty good compression (about 130 over all 4). After that I'd like to rebore 1.4M and fit new rings and pistons so that I have a good condition spare.
For the head I'm thinking of either 1.4A or the 1.3M. Apparently you can get good results with a TC head on a UC block.
Other desirable but non essential modifications would be electronic ignition and an electric fuel pump and thermo fan.
I was lucky a few weeks ago when I saw the previous owner, she had found another part for me.. I had been looking for a good left hand blinker lens for a while.
Having the boot full of parts does make it sit nice at the back. I'll try to get it like this when I get it running again..