#
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:02 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 16   [ 310 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:56 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Geez, so much for thinking I was going to be original using a Mazda air filter assembly on a Weber... was keeping that one quite for my modified engine. Oh well, I can still be original if I use a K & N filter assembly on the weber :lol:

Benn if you really want to be original you can track down a side draft Mikuni carburetor which I think Mazda used to sell as a go fast racing item. I disagree with your comment about a Stuber being nostalgic... an IDA weber would be more nostalgic. I bet you couldnt find a Stuber in the olden days (hate the term old skool, its a term for school kids who have no idea what old is :lol: ).... A period modified Mazda and a IDA Weber go hand in hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

stuber? ahhhhh ummmm :|

instead of old school, lets say "kettering system school" 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:22 pm 

The factory air filter box over th IDA is a nice idea.

We used to put them over the top of our standard 12A turbo top hats and run the air filter up in front of the radiator to hide them from the fuzz.

No restriction issues with this application of course, just pure aesthetics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:36 pm 

Whats happenin Benn, apart from freezin, FARK its cold. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:51 am 

Exactly that Matt, FARKING cold......every time I go out to the shed at night I contemplate doing something to the car, then go inside because it's too cold......

Been focussing on a couple of other things of late, still need to save some more coin, but basically waiting for some decent weather so I can respray the bay and finish off the last bits of the shell so I can paint it.

Still got some polishing to do as well, need to get cracking on that.

Hows the shed plans coming along?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:00 pm 

Get the keys to the house in 2 weeks hopefully, then got 2 weeks to get tiling, carpet, curtains in then move in then shed up. Prob going for 9x12 from shed king

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:54 pm 

mattrx2 wrote:
Get the keys to the house in 2 weeks hopefully, then got 2 weeks to get tiling, carpet, curtains in then move in then shed up. Prob going for 9x12 from shed king

9X12.....I am seriously jealous :cry:

That is a great size...plenty of room for toys...

Once my RX is finished, I have room for one more car, but will have to move the RX out while working on the other one. Would love to do a series one RX7 next, but also want to do another Turbo Sigma, but also want a ratted out beetle, and a 13b corolla......

Maybe I should finish the one i've got hey.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:43 pm 

Turbo sigma :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
A mate had one with a 4G63 evo motor in it big turb lots of boost, was a crazy car. I have always wanted one. Doooo itt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:19 pm 

Looks really good i will be doing the same thing this weekend.I painted my RX7 3 years ago and never got to do the engine bay.Now that im rebuilding the engine im making the best of it. I cant wait to see it all come together that orange color is sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:39 pm 

new job keeping u busy mate :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:21 am 

mattrx2 wrote:
new job keeping u busy mate :P

Yeah have bben flat out at work, haven't touched the 2 in ages......

Weather is getting better, so need to start to pull my finger out and get some work done on it. Spent some time giving the WRX a bit of a birthday, new rubber, brakes, some STI bits etc. Still need to finish repairing the front lip and then paint it. Also been wasting time on deciding on a new daily for me, as the other half now uses the WRX as her daily and I am sick of driving a diesel every day....sooooooo gutless.

Will hopefully have some updates soon. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:35 pm 

Some small updates. Got anothe 4 litres of orange mixed up, so will have 7 litres now.....Wasted a fair bit practicing and in the bay....

Have repaired the bay again and a small imperfection in the radiator support panel.

Have started going back over the panels to double check for any misses. Have found a few minor ones so far. A mall low on the passenger door and a couple of lows in the RHR quarter. Am going to go over every panel VERY THOROUGHLY again to make sure it as straight as. Dont realy want any surprises after its painted.

Its amazing that no matter how many hours are put into repairing a panel, when you think it is all done, you hi fill, rub it back and find an imperfection. Very frustrating :twisted:

Panel beaters must have an amazing sense of feel in their fingers.....

Got all the window, door and gutter trims polished up to a mirror finish. I actually quite enjoyed standing in front of the bench grinder for hours on end. The trims have come up great. One has a small dent in it, may have to send it off to get it repaired properly before fitting.

Weather is now good, so will start spending as much time as I can in the shed. Really want to get this thing painted and rolling again. More updates soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:42 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Panel beaters use their fingers only as a guide Benn, they rely on using a guide coat and a long board (actually various blocks according to the panel) for paint prep. I dont believe fingers will ever pickup everything no matter how good you are and I dont believe anyone who says they only use their fingers and no guide coat !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:51 pm 

Good to hear you are back into it.....the world can't have enough Herschel 2 coupes!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:27 am 

gypsy wrote:
Panel beaters use their fingers only as a guide Benn, they rely on using a guide coat and a long board (actually various blocks according to the panel) for paint prep. I dont believe fingers will ever pickup everything no matter how good you are and I dont believe anyone who says they only use their fingers and no guide coat !

Yeah, rubbing back the guide coat is where i am picking up my amayeur errors. Only minor flaws, but I am sure they will stand out like dogs ball's once the car is painted!!
Its very frustrating when you think that the panel will be dead straight...this time...and its not and you have to repair again.....

I keep trying to remind myself how bent the car was 12 months ago and how close I am now.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am 

Beware wrote:
Good to hear you are back into it.....the world can't have enough Herschel 2 coupes!!!!

Thanks for the support Beware. I use the pics of your coupe as inspiration quite regularly. I have a few pics of it stuck on my garage wall.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:37 am 

Bout time you got back on the job mate, instead of playin with those silly subarus. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:42 am 
JNC Enthusiast

jdmrx2 wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Yeah, rubbing back the guide coat is where i am picking up my amayeur errors. Only minor flaws, but I am sure they will stand out like dogs ball's once the car is painted!!
Its very frustrating when you think that the panel will be dead straight...this time...and its not and you have to repair again.....

I keep trying to remind myself how bent the car was 12 months ago and how close I am now.....

The fact you picked the flaws up is a good thing :) look forward to the result. How did the engine bay turn out in the end ? Did you sort out your orange peel issues, techinique or setup problem ? All going well I'll be spraying the boot floor in some sealer possibly tomorrow, however no colour for me yet. Also what did you use to block the engine bay given the awkward shapes ?

Just went over your build, what a great read !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:50 am 

The engine bay peel issue ended up being me being a bit to liberal with paint.....maybe a tad overkeen. :D I have been practising with some other paint on some scrap rodeo panels. Using a different gun, really easy to setup and adjust on the fly.

Ended up rubbing the bay almost the whole way back again, am going to hi fill again and then re colour. Did all the flats with a couple of small sanding blocks, and the towers etc by hand.

I cut up some small timber blocks to use in hard to get to places.

Fingers crossed, all should go okay this time. Am hoping to paint the engine bay, door jams and the backs of some panels soon. Just hoping we dont get last years weather......we went into an 11 day heat wave (38 degrees plus) approx this time last year!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:13 am 

I have spent the last couple of days rubbing the shell back and repairing any lows that have been missed. Both quarters needed some minor work, more so on the driver's side.
Minor touch up on the roof was needed as well as the LH corner of the wiper cowl.

Have resprayed the shell in two heavy coats of hifill and will let it sink for a couple of weeks before blocking it down again.....

Starting to go back over all the hanging panels to make sure that they are right. Passenger door needs a little bit more work, and so does the boot. Guards, apron, bonnet and drivers door are pretty much ready for another coat of hifill and then a rub back for paint.

Started to clean up the bumpers, was hoping they might polish up, but they will need rechroming. Need to get the tail light rings rechromed too.
Anyone know who can repair and rechrome in SA?

Panel work is still driving me crazy.....Need to go and get some windscreen trim clips and some of the clip rivets as I removed some when I cut out some rusted sections around the windows. (Thanks for posting these in your thread Gypsy, I had almost forgotten about repairing these until I saw your updates!!)

Hoping to get all panel work finished in the next couple of weeks so that I can trial fit all the panels to the car and make sure eveything lines up.
Then onto painting the backs of bits, door jams etc.
Will post some pics soon.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 16   [ 310 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next