#
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 16   [ 310 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:49 pm 

mazda 818 wrote:
well, i like green... :mrgreen:

Ha Ha, so do I!! Looks great, and a bit different too! Glad to see I'm getting some support with my air cleaner!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:58 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Any updates Benn? I reckon like Gypsy's RX-3, this build up thread should be on the main page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:50 pm 

Not much to update!! Got bitten in the ear by a spider, turned in to a NASTY outer infection, that knocked me off my feet for 7 days!!

Have decided that the engine bay still has to much peel, it appears once again that it is only the clear, so I have rubbed it back again. I need to flow coat it orange again, and then clear it.

I will have to spend some more time getting the gun right, it seems that the clear is not atomizing correctly.

I have a feeling that i will have to bump up the air pressure for the clear, as the orange seems to flow very smoothly!!

Apart from that, broke as, the "RX Fund" has taken a hit, so will need to try to save some cash and get back on track. At least there is heaps to do that doesn't cost anything!!

Will also need to buy more paint, as I have used a heap just on the bay!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:39 pm 

Spray painting can be so much fun, better you than me rubbing back the engine bay :lol:

I have a few cheapy guns and I find a big difference between them. The Workequip gravity gun I have is pretty average, and has been delegated to only spraying Polyester and 2K primer (3 different needles). There's no way I'd use it for any sort of top coat. The other cheapy I have had for years and is a Star suction gun, it has a great fan and sprays beautifully. With the right needle it would do a reasonable topcoat. I mainly use this one for 2K primer, it has a nice even wide spray pattern. I have another old Star HVLP gun and it also sprays/ atomizes pretty well.

Good gun wise I have 2 Japanese guns. The Minigun that I'll use for the engine bay does a very good job. The other also does a great job, its biggest feature aside from the fine atomisation is the really wide flat fan. Both of these are gravity guns (not HVLP) and Im very happy with them. The mini gun will make painting the engine bay easier especially around the tight areas reducing the chance of knocking freshly painted areas. A pro would use the Iwata and turn down the fan for the hard to get to areas. Having said that a gun will only spray as good as it's operator. In my case a pro could get a better result straight off the gun with one of the Star guns than what I could probably do with the Iwata. When I test sprayed the bonnet with the Iwata is turned out pretty slick. You wouldnt bother wet sanding it unless you wanted the flat buffed look like Dave's 323. I surprise myself sometimes :lol:

It would be getting a little too cool too be painting now I think Benn without a heated booth (well in Melbourne anyway).... yeah ??

I feel for you with the RX fund, Ive been pretty lucky to date and have spent peanuts. Most of what I have spent is on parts and having a few things professionally restored and polished. My biggest expense to date was my seats.... however I will probably be in the same boat as you soon ! I was going to rebuild both 10a engines myself but then decide to have the Bridgey done professionally to speed things up + it will need a few tricks done to it to make it go better. Dropped off the side housings today to clean up the ports, and also have the side plates lapped. Im having the rotor housings exterior blasted for the clean factory finish. There's $600 just in lapping. The start of my real expenses :shock: Once that's done will send off the rotating assembly to be cleaned up balanced then eventually put together with all my 10a go fast bits. :)

I've got to be careful with spiders as well... I have a garage full of redbacks.... They're a pain, The garage is pretty clean but you never know what lurks under that tidy stack of parts. I literally jumped out of my skin the other day when I had a huge huntsman jump out of the cupboard as I was reaching down the back. Almost had a heart attack... hate the buggers.... Its the main reason I dont want spares about once Im finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:22 pm 

Ha Ha, yeah getting good at rubbing back the engine bay!!! Done it a coupe of times :D

Yeah the painting can be painful, as I said it just seems to be the clear. I am going to leave it now until the weather improves, although we had 25 degrees today, so I snuck in a bit of priming while I could.

My mini gun is what I swapped to, and the orange seems to be fine. I backed off the pressure to about 38 PSI last time, but I suspect it needs to go higher - maybe closer to 50 PSI.

I am going to spend some extra time next time around, and spray an old panel orange and then use it to setup the clear......very frustrating :twisted:
about
I'm sure I will get the result that I want in the end. I have also got to put the cost of the body/paint into perspective. I was quoted $20K by 2 different places....this will owe me less than 1K !!!!!!

I reckon when I painted the chassis rails and trans tunnel was when I got my little ear visitor! It started coming out in lumps not long after I finished. I was laying flat on my back under the car at the time of painting.

Hoping to save up some funds over winter so I can get the engine built before Xmas. So far it owes me about 7.5-8K, including buying the car, so I am still on track for my idea of $12,999 driveaway!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:53 pm 

Your project is coming along great!
A little off topic but does anyone know what color or color code the cream white car is?

jdmrx2 wrote:
Minor updates.....still haven’t hi filled the shell......

Modified my RX4 air cleaner box by removing all the unwanted pipes from the bottom, and cut off the vent that usually has the hose that goes to the exhaust manifold for cold starts.
I welded a section in here, so the air cleaner box is simple and uncluttered. I have an older type Mazda Rotary decal to go back on the lid. Air box will be painted body colour.

Rims and air box prior to blasting

Air box etched

Another decal by “Letzgo” in Sydney. This guys wok is top notch. I have a stack of original style decals for the car all made by him. Very talented signwriter!!

Etch primed my rims

Black primed my rims

Painted my rims!!

I bought a double flare tool to do all my brake lines, but the flares are not quite perfect. Unfortunately I am now going to pay someone to flare them for me......properly.
Disappointed as I like to do EVERYTHING myself....... :(
I will use my flare tool to do my fuel lines. It seems to work well on bigger pipe.

Also got a lightened flywheel and a heavy duty clutch with a one tonne pressure plate. Better start my left leg excercises now!!!

Went to All Japan day on Sunday :D and came home from with more enthusiasm after seeing heaps of classic Japanese cars. My favourite of the event was this R100. I had ever seen it before, but absolutely loved it. I went back and looked at it 4 or 5 times!! It looks sensational!!

For more nice cars that were at AJD, have a look in the events section of this forum, I have posted a few up.
That’s about all for now. Hopefully next update will have the shell hi filled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:18 am 

Whats goin on Benn? U still alive or have the spiders eaten u? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:29 am 

Ha Ha, yeah still alive and kickin..... Have been a bit slack of late, cold weather putting me off, and have been trying to sort some of life's other matters..........

Hoping to get back on track soon, go over some panel work and get the chrome sorted etc.

I still haven't dropped off the brake lines to get flared either, must do that next week.

Hopefully some updates soon :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:31 pm 

jdmrx2 wrote:
Not much to update!! Got bitten in the ear by a spider, turned in to a NASTY outer infection, that knocked me off my feet for 7 days!!

That's why I'm kinda glad I don't live in Australia. I am terrified of spiders! But I have a few friends in Adelaide. This build looks great! I fully support your orange air cleaner! :tu:

1986 Ford Mustang GT almost at 200k
Past:
1972 Toyota Celica ST 22R swap RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:33 am 

a12a wrote:
Top build mate, keep up the good work.

Just picked up one my self (rx2 coupe) over the weekend. Looking forward to getting it in the garage and starting it from scratch. I dont think I will be able to do panel work my self (bit on the impatient side) but I'm going to try to do as much as I can my self.

Like you mentioned before, some ppl make it sound easy but write ups like this shows whats really involved in it.

Keep up the great work mate!!

Awesome!! Glad to hear of another RX2 Coupe coming back to life!! Start up a thread ASAP with some pics of her now. :D

Good luck with your project mate, I look forward to seeing the progress as hard as it may be some times!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:00 pm 

the car and the work you have done is going to be a credit.
I think I like the garage theme more than the car.
go well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:03 am 

B1600 wrote:
the car and the work you have done is going to be a credit.
I think I like the garage theme more than the car.
go well.

Thanks for your comments!! Yeah I love my garage theme as well!!
It sure spins some people out!! Wish it was bigger so I could fit it all in though. Still have other shell stuff in boxes in another shed. :lol:

Collecting it became a bit of an obsession for a while. I haven't added to it in years, with the exception of some MINT 1950's Shell maps of the USA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:38 am 

What are you up too with the car Benn ? Im trying hard to finish off the remaining bodywork which seems to be taking forever, the freezing weather is really slowing me down.

What are you doing engine wise ? I've just spent a small fortune having some machine work done to my little 10a, got the call yesterday to say its all complete. When I get time I have to send the rest of the engine so it can be assembled.... was going to do it myself but I want to concentrate on finishing off the shell. This is my first big expense and it hurts ! Next I'll be having the gearbox reco'd.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:43 am 

gypsy wrote:
What are you up too with the car Benn ? Im trying hard to finish off the remaining bodywork which seems to be taking forever, the freezing weather is really slowing me down.

What are you doing engine wise ? I've just spent a small fortune having some machine work done to my little 10a, got the call yesterday to say its all complete. When I get time I have to send the rest of the engine so it can be assembled.... was going to do it myself but I want to concentrate on finishing off the shell. This is my first big expense and it hurts ! Next I'll be having the gearbox reco'd.....

To be honest......not a lot of late.....Got my brake lines flared, got some carpet to trim out the boxed boot, sat and looked at all the stainless that I need to polish......picked up a piece, studied it, decided it was way too cold and went back inside :lol:

Haven't had much time of late to get stuck in. I have tuesday off so i will try to spend the day doing some work on it. I need to finish off some things on the shell, and found something that I wasn't happy with in the engine bay, so will repair that and throw some hifill on it. Not even going to contemplate any paint till spring.

I want to go over all the panels again just to be sure that it is straight and make sure that i haven't overlooked anything.

Engine wise I am going to wait until the car is painted and rolling again. I have an RX4 vintage 13B, it is extend ported on the primaries and has a massive extended bridgeport on the secondaries.
My engine builder is going to send my engine (with 3 others) to get the bridgeport CNC'd on the primaries shortly.

From checks thus far plates and rotors are all in great condition!!

Hopefully will just need seals (all genuine Mazda) a 12A timing cover and a starter. Need to send the carb off to get rebuilt and rejetted for the bridgy...already have the kit to put through it. Also need to get the dissy locked to suit the porting.

I am using a 12A Cosmo gearbox, got it from a guy who was going to put it in his RX3 behind a 13B, but has now gone 10A and 4 speed. The box appears super clean, shifts very well, still had "12A TURBO" written on it in pink wrecker texta....the price....$70!!

I figured i will put it in as is and see what happens!!

I have removed the mounts from the tunnel so in the worst case i will get hold of a series 5 turbo box and shove that in.

I do prefer the shift feel of the older style boxes though, but they don't like punishment. Should be OK behind a bridgeport that is not revved excessively.... I am certainly not going for an engine that will put out massive power, I just want it to sound nuts and have a big overlap on idle!

Before all this I need to top up some funds though :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 pm 

... what's happened in the engine bay that your not happy with, anything that I can learn from ?

The good old Rx4 13B, should have a bit of omffff. Are you going to use a Weber on the Bridge Port... not sure if a 4 barrel will give it enough fuel and air to see redline without coughing and spluttering. I had an old 13B bridge port built for club days years ago using all the good bits... wish I had kept it... everything was practically new :(

Years ago I pulled out a 121 gearbox myself from my favourite wrecking yard Dunkers U Pull it in NSW... never gave me any trouble probably because it was never every put behind a rotary. These days however another 10+ years have past and I dont think I'll have the same luck as last time. Im having a 5sp TQX semi auto reco'd, Im told that they now do something to stop the old over selection gear jamming problem thats present in the old gearboxes.

...and of course, nothing ever happens without money :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:40 am 

gypsy wrote:
... what's happened in the engine bay that your not happy with, anything that I can learn from ?

The good old Rx4 13B, should have a bit of omffff. Are you going to use a Weber on the Bridge Port... not sure if a 4 barrel will give it enough fuel and air to see redline without coughing and spluttering. I had an old 13B bridge port built for club days years ago using all the good bits... wish I had kept it... everything was practically new :(

Years ago I pulled out a 121 gearbox myself from my favourite wrecking yard Dunkers U Pull it in NSW... never gave me any trouble probably because it was never every put behind a rotary. These days however another 10+ years have past and I dont think I'll have the same luck as last time. Im having a 5sp TQX semi auto reco'd, Im told that they now do something to stop the old over selection gear jamming problem thats present in the old gearboxes.

...and of course, nothing ever happens without money :lol:

The "unhappy" spot is just me being fussy.....The section that usually has the battery tray didn't come up as nice as i had thought it would. There is a section that is press raised from the factory that i left and it now stands out like dogs nuts because there is no other clutter there..... Flattening it off and smooothing.

With the engine I am going pre pollution Nikki 4 barrel......Purely so I can use the original air cleaner. :lol: I know someone that has one of the legendary "Stuber" nikki's that is pulled down, so am going to get mine built to that spec. It was on a really big bridge and ran brilliantly....revved well off the tacho!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:41 am 

Quote:
the engine I am going pre pollution Nikki 4 barrel......Purely so I can use the original air cleaner

Soft :P

Im sure you could be able to do this, seeing as the rotas used a Nikki carby like the Gemini does...

http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/vie ... php?t=5419

Daily 78 Isuzu Gemini Sedan, stock G161z, Rodeo EFI, 500hp roller, 157rwkw. Fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:59 am 

F3ared wrote:
Quote:
the engine I am going pre pollution Nikki 4 barrel......Purely so I can use the original air cleaner

Soft :P

Im sure you could be able to do this, seeing as the rotas used a Nikki carby like the Gemini does...

http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/tech/vie ... php?t=5419

Only thing is a 32/36 weber probably wouldn't even give enough fuel to start a rota!! A Mazda nikki is way bigger than a gemini nikki. I have heard of someone doing something similiar with a 48IDA and a standard Mazda air box, but apparently had tuning issues.

I was originally going to inject it, but have chosen to stay nostalgic and run the nikki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:02 pm 

:wink:

was thinking about doing the same thing with my coupe, but retaining the blue box

it was restricting the air flow for the webber tho so im pretty sure it was taken off at some stage

the above car still made 219atw hp tho :D

theres also a bloke down my way in Melbourne that started the STUBER carbs, hes on ausrotary names stuie , from memory they were only 500 odd dollors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:16 pm 

Quote:
Only thing is a 32/36 weber probably wouldn't even give enough fuel to start a rota!! A Mazda nikki is way bigger than a gemini nikki. I have heard of someone doing something similiar with a 48IDA and a standard Mazda air box, but apparently had tuning issues.

I was originally going to inject it, but have chosen to stay nostalgic and run the nikki.

I know THAT [gem nikki is useless lol], meant more as an idea about how to do it...and then Buzz3n posted exactly what was going thru my head :P

Daily 78 Isuzu Gemini Sedan, stock G161z, Rodeo EFI, 500hp roller, 157rwkw. Fun :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 16   [ 310 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next