#
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:49 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: [DIY] : 808/RX3 Tail Lamp Restoration.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:43 pm 

I did the project coz I gave up my hope of finding a brand new (NOS or maybe from Taiwan) tail lamp. Basically, Mazda 808 parts are very hard to find nowadays. Once found, it is much better if you can save it. As for me, I found the square version of the tailies. I rescued it from a scrapyard, and now, it is time for a treatment that the tailies deserve, a restoration.

This will be a long shot. Stay tuned.

The test subjects. My current tailies and the square model.

The next step is to remove the cover from the lens. It was really hard as some of the screw had already in super rusty condition and some of em had no Philips head anymore. What did I do was cursed it, then try unscrew it. Failed, I cursed it again and pull it as strong as I can BUT be careful with the old plastic cover so that it didnt break. Some of em just broke into pieces some of em still attached to the cover.

Now, remove the lens. BUT please be extra careful especially if the lens is crack like this one. I had broke it anyway. Now it is in 2 pieces. Oh, shit happened sometimes. I had super glue it back.

Clean it up with a strong current water and some cleaning agent.

Once done, dried it up and it is ready to be painted.

And my second victim was..

This one was preety easy to be disassembled as most of the screw had been replaced.

Repeat the cleaning process and dried it up too.

Once dried, tape up the necessary parts and sand it so that some of the surface will be smooth.

I used the flat black spray can. Spray it a few layers and for a finishing, I used the clear coat so that it will be scratch resistant.

While waiting for it to dried up, focus on the polishing job.

And AutoSol-ing the emblem. From this:

To this!

Bee now has a black eye! Looks like she was punched.

Once everything had finished, time to reassemble everything back. Lens were ready to be fitted with the housing.

To make sure the lens is protected from outside moist, use the silicone as a sealant. If you messed up, dont worry. Once the silicone had dried, it becomes a rubber seal. Just pull the spoilt area.

And for the final touch up, the paint marker. Why? This is to make a 'fake' chrome lining to replace the orginal chrome lining that had fade away. This is the hardest part. Take your time, do it slowly, and try your best not to f**k it up.

Once done, spray it with a few clear coat so that the 'fake' chrome didnt fade away.

Once done, assembled everything back and congratulations! You just got yourself a new tail lamp and helping the old relics to be preserved!

http://rossobloggy.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:59 pm 
Administrator

nice write up! and congrats on your restored tailies! :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:32 pm 
Administrator

Does the silver pen really look like chrome? The lights look stellar, just not chrome :)

I love the writeup though :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:55 pm 

ben wrote:
Does the silver pen really look like chrome? The lights look stellar, just not chrome :)

That's why I said 'fake chrome'.

=) From far it is like a chrome, but if you get close, nope, its just a metallic silver.

http://rossobloggy.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:18 pm 
Not fair! Why do Mazdas have their own garage in JNC while Daihatsus don't! Hahaha just kidding.. As always, :tu: love your dedication on your 808, Rosso! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:33 pm 
Administrator

ballpencil wrote:
Not fair! Why do Mazdas have their own garage in JNC while Daihatsus don't!

Get all your Daihatsu buddies to join and we'll happily create one :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:53 am 

ben wrote:

Hi Ben, there is no such thing as a chrome pen. If you want a chrome reflective finish on plastic parts you either need to have them plastic chromed (Vacuum Metalising) which is expensive in Australia OR you can try using a chrome paint made by Alsa in the USA which is expensive as well !

I did a bit of research into this when restoring my Rx3 tail lights. In the end they were deemed "more than good enough", cleaned them up and had someone 2pack the candy apple colour. I have a second set which will be rechromed (Vacuum Metalising) later on. Im looking at around AU$300 to do both tail lights, definitely not cheap in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:23 am 

great write up :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:59 am 

Good DIY resto there!

I may add that should the surface chipped, they should be filled, smoothen and primered before giving them a final coat of paint. This make them more presentable and the paint last longer due to primer.

From my experience, paint sprayed (esp. from spray can) wont adhere well directly on plastic, esp without primer.

Just my 2 cents worth

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]