#
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:00 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: 72' coupe from the PNW.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:51 pm 

Well I picked this up a few weeks ago. It has been sitting for about 14 years out in the woods of Oregon. Before that I guess it was a "drift car" throughout the late 90's. did not see much street use and from the work on it I can tell. No evidence of collisions anywhere, but it has a fair bit of rot. The worst bit is in the trunk. floor boards are sound and surprisingly there is nothing.

I am not sure what motor I will be running at this point. I am toying with the idea of a 13bMSP naturally aspirated of course, or I do have a fully built Mazda 2.0L BP that is capable of about 600hp. It was in my last project that is now no more. We will have to see. What I do know is that the first thing I will be doing is stripping the car, then refabbing the trunk sheet metal. I plan on upgrading the suspension to something a bit more modern. Duel A-arms front and rear off of a NB Miata. I have already picked up the torsen rear diff, and the front and rear subframes will be coming later in the week. This is going to be the start of a great little project. though it will be slow going in the beginning, until about August.

Until then here are some photos.

Some really sweet fabricator thought they would shave the rails... it is horrible really. Still debating on sourcing some and rewelding them on.. looks to me like they did not grind them down all the way nor did they tack weld it together properly.. just filled in with body filler..

The worst is no trunk.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: 72' coupe from the PNW.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:06 am 

yes, refit the gutter rails.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:01 am 

Yeah it just changes the entire look of the car, and with the shape of the back side windows it just looks kind of off to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:30 pm 

+2 to refitting the gutter rails, at first glance of the pics i could immediatley tell something wasn't right.

Will you be painting it Hershal(sp?) orange like the original colour? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:58 pm 

Looks to me the reason that there are no rails is because it's rusted out between the roof skin and the inner frame. Hope I'm wrong though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:18 pm 

Everyone keeps asking if I am going to repaint it orange.. lol It is like the one color I do not care for that much. My thought was a nice gun metal or dark metallic silver. But I will decide for sure the closer I get to that.

I have chipped away at a few spots around the roof and it appears that it is only surface rust between the roof and frame. But I will not know that 100% until I get all of the bondo off. I did find a fiberglass repair on the front fender where the radio antenna was. So that tells me they could not weld. The emblem holes they just filled with more bondo..

It is going to be a little bit more work than I was hoping, but I still got it for a killer deal, so no complaints here.

I pickup my miata subframes tonight! Then the restoration and fabrication process will begin.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:31 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

interesting project. Part of me says keep it rotary powered as it's pretty special (an RX-2 coupe is such a good looking car). Part of me says that a BP powered hardtop is a great idea.

Hopefully the boot floor is the worst of the rust.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:26 am 

Yeah I am really leaning toward the BP. Only because I already have it, and it is a nasty motor. When I had it in my AWD car running a dump, most people thought I had done some kind of 4.6L swap into the car... It is a lopy, idles at about 1200 RPM.

But I got my front and rear sub-frames. got another really good deal on them. but just to get an idea, I put it up to the car.

These are the wheels I am going to mock the car up with. They are 16x6.5 with a +38 offset SE Miata wheels. The pics look worse than it really is. they only stick out about 1.5" - 2" past the fender edges. not nearly as bad as I was anticipating. So once I have the car up and able to put them up in place I will have a better idea of what I will be working with. I am leaning away from fender flares and more towards a proper flare of the OE fenders. Though I have not yet decided for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:01 am 

My dream car 8) Looking forward to more updates.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:48 am 

You Peaked my interest. Miata Subframes?? Please Elabtorate? I'm VERY VERY interested in this because of the option for Modern Steering, Modern Suspension, and updated wheel selection!

So please 8) go on? lol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:13 am 

The way I see it, there are limitations on the nearly 50 year old design. I would like to upgrade it a bit. The miata is about 5" wider in front and about 6" in the back. Miata parts are readily available, low cost, and there is some sweet suspension options that the 2 just does not have. So I am embarking on what seems to be uncharted territory. the only thing similar I could find online at least was someone who chopped up and shortened a RX7 sub frame into place. My goal is to do as little to the car itself as possible, and to modify the subframes to meet the car. from past experiences this seems to be the better route to go. I am not sure yet if I will shorten the width of the subframes yet or not, but regardless I will be able to get this car low and reduce the amount of body roll you see on a solid axle car. Plus the addition of an upgraded braking system and steering rack is a huge bonus. I am still having trouble deciding on the manual rack that I was fortunate to get with the subframe or if I should go for the little shorter ratio powered rack out of the MazdaSpeed Miata. its a tough call. The bay will look a lot cleaner without power steering in there for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:25 pm 

josh72rx wrote:
The way I see it, there are limitations on the nearly 50 year old design. I would like to upgrade it a bit. The miata is about 5" wider in front and about 6" in the back. Miata parts are readily available, low cost, and there is some sweet suspension options that the 2 just does not have. So I am embarking on what seems to be uncharted territory. the only thing similar I could find online at least was someone who chopped up and shortened a RX7 sub frame into place. My goal is to do as little to the car itself as possible, and to modify the subframes to meet the car. from past experiences this seems to be the better route to go. I am not sure yet if I will shorten the width of the subframes yet or not, but regardless I will be able to get this car low and reduce the amount of body roll you see on a solid axle car. Plus the addition of an upgraded braking system and steering rack is a huge bonus. I am still having trouble deciding on the manual rack that I was fortunate to get with the subframe or if I should go for the little shorter ratio powered rack out of the MazdaSpeed Miata. its a tough call. The bay will look a lot cleaner without power steering in there for sure.

You have peaked my interest sir. i'll be following this like a hawk. would LOVE to do the same or similar to my Deuce.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 am 

Well nothing major just yet, but I got my measurements done this weekend. In order to fit the Miata front end and get a proper height, I am going to have to channel the wheel well side of the frame rails in order to get it up into the chassis high enough. And to maintain rigidity in the subframe I I cannot chop it up too much, as well as the area that needs chopping is too close to the upper A-arm mounts, so it would not leave enough material. Should only be a weekend job, but cannot get to it until the first of Aug :(

The rear end is what I had expected it to be, and will need to be completely re worked to fit the miata subframe. I may just make myself a jig, and build a tubular rear. Either way I will need to beef up the rear frame rails. Good thing I bought a car that needed a bit of work anyway.

The other bit is what to do with my Intercooler.. Seems most mount them on the underside of the front bumper. Though I am after that stealthy look, and not to excited about having the IC just out in the open. I think, since I do not have a Rad anyway yet. I might be able to get away with installing it directly between the headlights. Only problem is there is only 20" of opening to work with. so I will need to shorten my IC from 27" down to 20" and have rear facing openings.. Another custom jobber, but the look will be worth the extra effort I think.

open to thoughts or suggestions.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]