#
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 23 of 23   [ 454 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: 1974 RX-4/929 wagon.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:12 am 

Ah well, at least the VC is going to live on with another enthusiast! Intermittent faults are the worst to chase - I only found it by luck.

This weekend I had a bit on, but I did the gearbox cross member and tail shaft with no dramas, and moved the engine crane clear. However, I struggled bitterly with the exhaust. Luckily, it separated at the flange near the diff (will it go back together will be the next challenge), and after a couple of hours of terrible frustration, I finally got the extractors and front half of the exhaust bolted up to the block.

To do list for this weekend:

Hang the rest of the exhaust.
Wiring.
Firing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:33 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Nice one!

I too hate exhausts.

If you go to Radiant (? I think that's their name), maybe look into having some heat shielding put under the drivers seat and around the steering box. You'll thank me in summer!

I bought a handful of brass fittings and an industrial valve tap to also stop coolant going through the heater matrix, I reckon that's another good idea - heat usually dumps out of the heater core even if the controls are closed. The cabin can get pretty hot in summer.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:30 pm 

I had a flood at work that severely dented my plans, but I did manage to fit the rest of the exhaust last night. I can't get it to hang off all the mounting points, but it'll limp to an exhaust place for finishing without dragging along the ground.
Also, I had to remove the intake manifold to get the extractors on, and on refit found that it it a) cracked, b) has a stripped thread.
I am now in the market for another weber to 13b manifold. If anyone has, please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:27 pm 

Does anyone know how many litres of gearbox oil a Mazda Rx7 series 4 5spd gearbox holds? Filling is via the hole for the shifter, right?
(Unsurprisingly, my Mazda 929 workshop manual contains no clues for this one!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:26 pm 

You fill these gearboxes from the bung in the side of the main casing. Fill it up to the bung and you're done. Not sure how much oil that is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:03 pm 

Thanks Ben, followed your instructions and have a good going box now.

The car is finally on the road. Got helped across the line (by a very-generous-with-his-time) Jed from Buzzme to help untangle the mess of two looms grafted into one. What looked like 45 mins work was actually a full 6 hours with Jed troubleshooting half a dozen other small odd problems that also came up, while I spent the bulk of the 6 hours swapping a return fuel line from the donor car to my car - a surprisingly tough job.

After some tuning, the car is going well, but it is WAY to loud; instant defect territory. Ill need to quieten down the exhaust very quickly before I attract the attention of the nearest highway patrol.

At the moment it is running extractors, three generic mufflers and (at a guess) a 2.5 inch exhaust. The exhaust has been checked for leaks, and there are none, but it still makes a hell of a racket.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a quieter system? Ie Number of/make/type of muffler. The car will stay a standard 13b six port, and a streeter only. I don't mind hovering on the loud side, but at the moment I'm probably over 96dB at idle! I'm not looking to spend an absolute fortune if I can avoid it, but better that that getting defected!

Other odd problem, when I connect the (yellow with green trace from memory?) taco wire to negative on the coil, I can see the taco twitch when I crank the car, but the car absolutely won't fire, only crank. When I disconnect the taco wire from negative, the car starts up fine, but the taco remains dead. I tried connecting the taco wire to neg on the second coil, and got a massive backfire when I turned the key, so immediately stopped playing with it after that. Any hints?

Final issue, the brakes have gone spongy - no idea how the engine swap affected the brakes. Unfortunately, the maiden voyage I didn't crank the handbrake on hard enough, and when I returned to the car after helping the girlfriend move into her new house I found the car had rolled nose first into a ditch, smashing up the driver's quarter panel some. D'oh! Time for more panel beating and another touch up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:10 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

exhaust: if they are cheapy mufflers, then they may have burnt out and aren't actually muffling - just a thought.

tacho: I'll see if I can dig up an RX-4 wiring diagram for you.

brakes: :( oh noes! That's a strange one. Maybe it's something to do with vacuum and the booster?

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:14 am 

coupe72001 wrote:

The car is finally on the road. Got helped across the line (by a very-generous-with-his-time) Jed from Buzzme to help untangle the mess of two looms grafted into one. What looked like 45 mins work was actually a full 6 hours with Jed troubleshooting half a dozen other small odd problems that also came up, while I spent the bulk of the 6 hours swapping a return fuel line from the donor car to my car - a surprisingly tough job.

Other odd problem, when I connect the (yellow with green trace from memory?) taco wire to negative on the coil, I can see the taco twitch when I crank the car, but the car absolutely won't fire, only crank. When I disconnect the taco wire from negative, the car starts up fine, but the taco remains dead. I tried connecting the taco wire to neg on the second coil, and got a massive backfire when I turned the key, so immediately stopped playing with it after that. Any hints?

Final issue, the brakes have gone spongy - no idea how the engine swap affected the brakes. Unfortunately, the maiden voyage I didn't crank the handbrake on hard enough, and when I returned to the car after helping the girlfriend move into her new house I found the car had rolled nose first into a ditch, smashing up the driver's quarter panel some. D'oh! Time for more panel beating and another touch up.

yeah the yellow with a green trace is the taco wire, it goes from the - negative on coil 1 ( if connected to + 12v side may cause issues) to the taco in the dash, the dash is powered via the Green with a yellow trace . you said you had electrical issues ?? when you looked at the wiring and pieced together 2 looms??

ok this can cause some major issue when using 2 looms from different years. you original car was a S1 929 wagon "right". the doner car was a 75-77 929 wagon??
with the emission upgrade in the later model it changes 10% of the loom and pin outs are different and i had some issue when i used a late model loom in my 74, i had dead shorts and battery issue due to these differences and had to repair the original loom to fix the issue ( since then i have just repair/rebuilt the hole loom)..

with the brakes going spongy maybe you have installed the 1 way valve to the booster the wrong way and will give a soft pedal feel but brake will still work

hope this helps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:15 pm 

Ok, had a go at swapping the one-way valve, but still have spongy brakes.
I have a spare master cylinder, so Ill swap and rebleed, and see how we go.

Haven't had any joy figuring out the taco. Are there two different tacos for single coil and twin coil Mazdas?

You are correct in guessing the donor car was a 75 wagon with a chopped up loom to suit the rotor, and the existing loom was standard piston 74 929. The two are now sort of grafted together!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:13 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I hear this has new wheels now? :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:38 pm 

coupe72001 is the new owner?
Same bloke that had the white c210?

hj75 cruiser: Offroad
1988 Cefiro: 395RWKW- Dragracing
Gen 3 cr500AF: wheelie machine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:11 am 

Yep, the one and only!
I had the C210 for about a decade, when a string of electrical problems and a defect notice (noise/height in rear/tyre wear) broke me and I just about gave the thing away in a rage. Not long after a handful of absolutely awful C210s went on eBay for far better money :/
Anyway, since then I've owned around 10 other early Japanese cars trying to find something that can fill the Skyline-shaped hole. Maybe the Mazda is a keeper.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:32 am 

Ah nice,
sad to here about the c210.

I told geoff to put a rotary in the wagon a long time ago... he doesnt listen (im pointing at you sv_i and your damn datsun strut idea)

hopefully you have alittle more luck with the wags

hj75 cruiser: Offroad
1988 Cefiro: 395RWKW- Dragracing
Gen 3 cr500AF: wheelie machine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:27 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

bah!

1. Money - rotaries eat money.
2. Rallying needs a degree of fuel economy - the plan was to do this:
http://www.thegreatescape.org.au/

if aaron and I did it, we would have had to literally fill the rear area with jerry cans for some stages.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 23 of 23   [ 454 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23