#
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 22 of 23   [ 454 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1974 RX-4/929 wagon.
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:31 am 

Hi Dazz, Thanks very much for the reply. You are correct in guessing I haven't lived with a bridge port at all. I lived with a very raucous Nissan L28, and after 10 years of good times I ended up with a very expensive defect via a cop with a decibel meter on her iPhone! As much as I enjoy noisy cars, I would rather live without the grief of another defect due to noise.
The 13b Bridgeport was running a standard carb from memory. I can get a Weber with the package, but obviously would need to budget for jetting and tuning etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:48 am 

My 626 has a 13B Secondary Bridge and makes a healthy 170rwhp with a 650 Edelbrock.
This is what it sounds like, and I'm very happy with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcGfxm5jz1Y

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:00 am 

8) sick vid. Love that sound.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:47 pm 

Phillip, despite the amazing sounds coming from your 626, I've decided to run with the 6 port wagon.
I have the skills and budget to to a basic engine swap, but cobbling together and tuning a bridge port from assorted parts is probably beyond my skills and the contents of my wallet.
This is a video of the car I've bought. The belt noise is a little off putting, but the exhaust note and volume is spot on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__PetiTc ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:56 am 

After a couple of poor attempts due to rookie error, I finally got a decent gloss off the gun spraying in acrylic enamel. It shows the body has a few shallow imperfections, but it's pretty tidy over all.
The car is still the original Mazda colour, Neptune green.
There are a couple of runs to sand out, but Ill have to wait for decent weather again.

In other news, my rotary wagon arrived:

Ill check it's running right, and swap engines in the next little while if all goes well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:22 pm 

First impression of the rotary wagon:
- very loud
- not very fast

The taco is bust, so I am afraid to wring it's neck, but I gather all the excitement is in the upper rev range. There's not a whole lot happening low down.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:13 pm 

Things to look at.

Weber jetting. Lots of people put race car spec chokes and jets in street cars, basically you kill bottom end, and still get no top end.

If it's a stock 6-port, I would be looking at 39-40mm chokes maximum. It'll probably have F11 emulsion tubes, and circa 200 fuel and 120-160 air jets, and 70-F10 or 65-F10 idle jets.

In std or mildly ported motors, I favour the following.

39mm chokes (maybe 40 with a really good exhaust, but then it's loud)
F2 emulsion tubes
180-190 fuel jets
200 air jets
probably a 65-F10 idle jet, but could be a 60/65/70, each motor like something a little different.

If sticking with F11 emulsion tubes, the same 180-190 fuel jets will be ball park, and 120 air jet a good start. Aspirated motors do not like to be rich, they run like puss, so anyone who recommends things like 220-240 fuel jets, ignore them.

Dropping choke size will matter little if you rarely rev it past 7,000rpm, but will make the bottom end so much nicer and responsive.

Also look at timing, if the dizzy doesn't have much advance it will be doughy down low. It may need a re-graph to give it more advance at idle and down low but still keep it to circa 20-25 degrees advance up top.

Also try running it on the lowest octane fuel you can find, if you can find non ethanol 91 unleaded, use it, otherwise 95, no need to run 98.

Check plugs too, these make a difference, NGK BR8EQ's are a great all round road plug.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:33 pm 

Hi Dazz, Thanks again for your response - Ill check all and update.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:25 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Willing to lend a hand with the swap. (time permitting!)

The ausrotary crowd/Ian will be pleased.

I drove away the other day going "hmmm.... maybe I could buy the white wagon". Then I slapped myself and went and did some work on the Rover. :lol:

What Dazz (and others will also be nodding about) is spot on. People use all kinds of weird jetting etc.
I'd also say that a good, solid spark is a must. Carry spare spark plugs in the glovebox! If you can also get your head around rotary timing, you'll be way out in front too.

Yell out when you are ready for the rear brakes. I also dug out some period wheels for your perusal as well. ;)

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:04 am 

That's a very generous offer - it'd be great to have a hand for the engine swap.
I'm keen to have a look at some period mags. The white wagon has 16 inch modern mags - not really my thing.

I'm not really sure what to do with the additional wagon yet - to swap the engine and sell it as a running piston engined car, not bother recommissioning it and selling as a roller... not sure. It's not a bad rust-free start for a project, but it's not particularly pretty either.

Assuming I set up the weber with 39mm chokes etc, and have a completely standard 13b 6 port with a nice set of extractors, what would be the appropriate diameter exhaust? I'm wondering if an over-sized exhaust is contributing to the big noise/not-so-much grunt combo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:01 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

whatever you do, don't cut the piston engine mounting tabs off the powdercoated crossmember - you'll need it to swap over to the white wagon. I'll explain when I catch up with you next.

I've got a set of Hayashis look a likes, they're Australian Made Sampson Engineering wheels. They're even take the tyres that are on there at the moment with a bit of stretch. (though I expect you'll be burning through the rear ones pretty quickly!) They're 14x6. Thats a bit down the track anyway.

Did you find out what brakes are on the front of the white wagon?

James with the Cosmo on here is interested in the piston driveline and so is another guy that I'm selling some stuff to. Might be easier to sell the wagon as a roller? You can swap all the brakes that I rebuilt on the green car across to the white car as a selling point too?

I'll bring aaron with me.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:17 am 

The white wagon appears to have slotted rotors, but otherwise the brakes are much of a muchness.
While I was stuck at work today I found time to shoot out and fit the most critical component of any 70's Japanese car:
The (now deleted) door mirror has dented the panel a little. Not sure whether to beat and fill, or look for some kind of blanking plate to hid the worst of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:51 pm 

Just a quick observation, I can't see the rod going from the Weber linkage to the oil metering pump.

So either the oil metering pump linkage is not connected and sitting in the idle position and the previous owner used additional pre-mix.

The oil metering pump linkage is set from half way to full with a cable tie, bit of wire, witchcraft etc.

If the OMP linkage is not set to between half and full, then you need to either fix it, or run around 50-60ml of pre-mix per 10 litres of fuel you put in the tank.

Ideally make up a rod that links the Weber to the OMP, not hard, and then it will work as God intended. Just make sure that you get the rod position on the linkage in the right spot so that the OMP goes to full open at the same point the Weber is wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:55 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Did you read my earlier posts from years ago? 'cause they are pretty much the wing mirrors I had in mind. Nice!

What Dazz said about the OMP. I had a modified factory rod working with my Weber.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:27 pm 

Ok, so I had a productive weekend overall.
Saturday was mild weather, so I pulled the 13B out of the donor car. It basically sprung out of the engine bay on it's own.
Sunday, I had help from forum members Ewokracing and Aaron to complete the swap. The company was excellent, but the weather turned a little nasty.

Starting off

Not going back to pushrod any time soon

Frozen rain

IN!

Hypothermia - by this stage icy puddles had flooded the sheltered section of the drive, and hail was coming in at a 45 degree angle.

Next weekend Ill have a go at the gearbox crossmember, exhaust, and starting her up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:29 pm 

Also, Dazz - you were spot on about the missing oil pump linkage, well spotted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:43 pm 

It's what I do :wink:

Great progress being made too awesome stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:29 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

What's wrong with you people, from rotary to piston to rotary.

Can we expect another piston engine swap anytime soon ? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:13 am 

I know, I know... but I don't think it'll be going back to piston after I massacred the cross member.
Next up Ill have to try some other flavours of rotary.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:26 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Mr D is too nice to point out that the fault with the VC motor after all of my pulling of hair was nothing more than a faulty spark plug. I think my face when he told me said it all.

Memorable quote of Sunday: "I have hail in my ear". :lol:

There's probably another two solid days of work (or one without rain interrupting). A few little niggles like the throttle cable being a bit too long, having to swap fuel pumps over, wiring etc.

It'll be an awesome cruiser this summer.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 22 of 23   [ 454 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next