#
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 21   [ 408 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: 1974 RX-4/929 wagon.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:09 am 

Fair enough! Still a damn cool car though! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:21 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I think it pales in comparison to the blue '4 that you have, Gypsy's projects and the cars that Dave pumps out! :lol:

None of the wheels I had for sale on ebay or gumtree sold so I think it's time for a change of wheels.

I'm also pitcrewing next week at the Alpine Rally so I think that rules out Classic Japan. :(

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:38 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

So the head stopped leaking after I did the main bolts up again, I fished around and found the missing rocker arm nut, checked the carburettor and points, generally lots of little things and it still runs like it is down on power.

So I parked it for a few months and let the rego run out.

Then the other day I started it up to move it and it was like its old self again, lots of power - so much so that I went for an hour long cruise. 8)

And so I sold it last night. :cry:

Unfortunately it's still in need of some TLC: it was starting to break out in rust bubbles from being parked outside near the beach, my p6b Rover has really been chewing up my spare time and I have a few other non car things on the go. I can't afford to spring for an engine rebuild at the moment and it was a waste just having it sitting there. I think the new owner is pretty keen to rotorise it and just cruise the thing into the ground, so it might pop up in the Melbourne rotor scene again.

Pity I never got to do any "motorsport" in it, but I did learn that it's far cheaper to buy a car already done than to do it yourself!

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:59 am 

Sad days Geoff.....was a cool wagon 8)

Hopefully the new owner keeps working on it and preserves it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:05 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Well the car is off to a fellow forum member!

It was really sad to see it go down the street. My wife told me I'm going to regret it! :P

In other news, I bought a box of stuff off a workmate, an "electric" distributor*, some workshop manuals, rubber bits etc. Turns out the distributor was a points one and the rubber bits were for a capella, so they're all pretty useless, but if anyone needs any Mazda gregory type manuals let me know.

I've also offloaded all the 929/RX-4 stuff out of the garage to the new owner. I now have some storage space back for my 1300 bits. :D

*PS. Philip - I have yours to give back to you. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:49 pm 

The drive from Ewok Racing's place to work in Port Melbourne went smoothly, and I'm pretty excited about getting work on the wagon underway.
As soon as I got to work I unpacked all the parts I had been gifted with the car (cheers G) and hit it with the angle grinder. There were plenty of tiny bubbles to scratch off from the salty air, a few of which has gone straight through. Absolutely nothing nasty though; the wagon will clean up really nicely. The exposed metal got hit with a rust converter, which I've left to react overnight. Today Ill get to welding up some of the holes.
Pics to follow...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:51 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

^ showed picture to my wife. She asked why I couldnt move that quickly! :P

I also had a lead on a GTI style front lip spoiler - will email you about it. I didnt see it but I know that either AH or I have a km/hr speedo too.

when you pull motor give me a holler. Will probably need some of the piston bits for the white car.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:46 am 

Ok, so this was the worst of the rust:
Cut it all out, soaked everything underneath in rust converter, and made a stencil in cardboard:
Finally tacked in some new metal:
Ill weld up any gaps nicely when I get some more gas for the MIG.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 21   [ 408 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21