#
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:44 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 18 of 23   [ 454 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1974 RX-4/929 hybrid-ish.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:32 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

always the way. I threw out 1300 parts like they were dirt. :(

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:12 am 

I think they're only available in early 80's (80-82) 929 cosmo, before the fe came out..

I was at fetter motors parts plus in preston just before christmas and they had quite a few early mazda parts that I noticed.. could try there

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:28 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Cool. Will have a look. I always thought those EFI manifolds came in something like a JDM 626, but a 4 cylinder Cosmo makes sense.

What motor was in the turbocharged 929 that we got in the 80's? F-series of motor?

oh and update: Brake place sorted brakes. Got all the handbrake cables sorted now (one click to put the rear brakes on! perfect) and it turns out that one of the rear brakes wasn't set up properly or something small that I didn't do right. Feels weird having a nice and firm brake pedal all the time.

Drove home yesterday from the city in 30+ degree heat, had the windows down all the way, still in bumper to bumper traffic I sweated like crazy. If I ever do an engine transplant and slot in something decent, I am plumbing in air con.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:42 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Had a bit of a spend lately, bought some parts for the Triumph and tried to resist, but also bought a twin carb manifold with no carbs, that one was a bit out of my price range at $250. If I ever go EFI on a VC or MA, this will probably be the manifold I use with twin ITBs.

RWC guy was right about the brakes actually, it wasn't the booster, it was the rear brakes out of adjustment. Got the handbrake sorted too.

which means I have sorted everything bar the dash lights and the stupid air filter heat riser piping. Had a look the other day and yes the front seal is oily, but its not leaking or dripping. I'll just give it a clean. Got a heads up on a guy who is reasonable for older cars, so I might try him next.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:49 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Got a heads up on another forum about a different mechanic. Went to the new guy.

Didn't pass Roadworthy for

- license plate rear light was out (it had actually blown out this time)
- wasn't happy with the allen head bolts holding the steering wheel on. That's an old thing they used to ping cars on back in the day.

looked on the web and trains aren't running on my line at the moment so I am about to head to the parts store to get a globe and bolt the original steering wheel on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:23 am 

Won the lotto yet?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/pri ... 68704&Cr=0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

timmy201 wrote:

Interesting! I think I saw that on a car dealer's website in Japan or Yahoo. If that sells at that price, surely that'd have to be one of the most expensive chrome bumpered rotaries ever sold in Australia. Cool car though!

Post subject: Ta da!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:58 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

It's registered! :mrgreen:

I have the day off from work so I'm going to take the dog and my wife and cruise the wheels off it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:56 pm 

Sweeet :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:20 pm 

Nice work geoff.
If you ever want to sell that 1300....

hj75 cruiser: Offroad
1988 Cefiro: 395RWKW- Dragracing
Gen 3 cr500AF: wheelie machine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:31 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

So happy. :D

Dan - 1300 is literally just a shell now. Sold off most of the rotary stuff. Have the flywheel and clutch combo left and some odds and ends and thats all. Have found a factory 1300 diff to make it a roller again, have a lead on a bumper. Just need to find a 1300 thats got two good quarters and a boot floor and rear valence panel and then a front nose and it'll go on a rotissarie and then I'll find someone to do all the panel work.

I'll be over your way next week, will you be around?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:39 pm 

sad to hear you parted some stuff out of it.

Yep give me a call when you are local.

hj75 cruiser: Offroad
1988 Cefiro: 395RWKW- Dragracing
Gen 3 cr500AF: wheelie machine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:23 am 
JNC Enthusiast

works 510 wrote:
sad to hear you parted some stuff out of it.

needed money! the motor has gone on to live another day in an RX-7 and the diff and gearbox are now in a supercharged 1300 up in NSW...

It'll have either a 4age or MX-5 motor/box in its next life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:36 am 

There is a 323 rwd for sale on ebay at the moment with an MX5 conversion... Perfect transplant for yours?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mazda-323-ha ... be9&_uhb=1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:19 am 

Great work on getting it rego'd!! Bet you will enjoy some time driving it instead of just working on it. Well done :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

tim: yeah saw that, its been on ausrotor for a while, I don't have the spare cash unfortunately!

benn: yeahhhhhh, so nice not to be under the car for once!

Post subject: earning a living
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:01 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

So I've been using the wagon once or twice a week and I usually drive it to work on one of those days, just to get some use out of it, keep the battery charged etc. I've made a few lists of things I want to tweak or change. Aaron and I have decided that the charging system definitely needs an upgrade: other things like the fusable links, headlights etc also need doing as they are good, but not great.

I've hauled so much stuff in the cargo area over the last few weeks, it has been fantastic in that regard. Where my wife's beater/daily Hyundai Excel hatch needs the rear seats folded down to take big stuff, I can just throw it all into the back of the wagon. I even carried half of a tree I cut down in the back without a hitch.

I'd really like to get a period style roof rack, some amber lense covers, some period driving lights and some lower height springs for the front, but I'll work my way through things gradually so that the car spends a minimum amount of time off the road. I've just ordered a new clutch kit which will be in next week, so my next big upgrade should hopefully kick off next weekend.

In the meantime I started to pull my finger out about using one of the many sets of alloy wheels I have lying around.

I new I wanted to go with some gold wheels after seeing a picture of a BRG RX-4 coupe with gold wheels, luckily I have some that I picked up years ago (can't remember where from though).

They'll be getting stripped back and repainted/polished. I knew that they were either one piece (solid casting) or two piece (inner piece pressed into the outer rim), so I knew that the bolts were just for show. However once I had the tyres pulled off, I looked a bit closer...

The "bolts" are just press in black plastic studs/fake bolts. :lol:

So I've pushed them all out with a screw driver. Not sure yet if I'll get some real bolts (some of the plastic fakies are missing) or I'll just leave the holes empty. I think Aaron had a similar thing with some Performance Challengers he has, but they used proper bolts and nuts to give that three piece wheel "look".

I spent about 6 bucks at a local car wash and gave the wheels a good clean up, was worth it considering the amount of brake dust and grime that I washed off them.

I still have to find out what/where the gold paint colour. Not sure yet if I want to go all out and get the kerb rash taken out, probably not as they are just cheapy wheels, but I'll have a go at polishing the outer rim on them with a buffing wheel etc.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:07 am 

When you're ready to refit the tyres Geoff, bring them over to our factory.
I'll fit them up and balance them for you.

:D

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:21 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

if I am out that way, will do! The old ones on there were dead, but I might ship some new ones in from the UK. 8)

Post subject: Gearbox swap part one
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:33 am 
JNC Enthusiast

So thanks to a fellow JNC'er, I've had two 626 5spd gearboxes kicking around for a few years. Today I started on the swap, as usual I ran into a few headaches :x

I got told that the 4spd and 5spd were identical in length, and that only the crossmember for the gearbox had to be slotted. Easy.

The truth is actually something different:

The shorter gearbox is on the right, the longer 5spd box is on the left. Mounting the gearbox in place should be straightforward as there are a few different mounting holes in the floorpan:

The holes I used for the 4spd are second from the back. I think I can use the closest holes. I'll do some measuring and see how it looks.

I'm also ditching the clutch, another reason for the swap. I think the clutch is a bit old and it's a good time for a new one.

The release bearing looked pretty tired too.

I've also noticed that the ceramic coating on the extractors is burning off, which I am really pissed about. This was done by Competition Coatings in Coburg, can't say I'll be rushing back there.

I also have to work out what this if for:

One gearbox just had the weight/dampener bolted on to the back of it, on the other, the weights looked like they bolted to another gearbox mount?

The mascot also kept dropping in for a look. He is not amused by his new haircut.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 18 of 23   [ 454 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next