#
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: 1300R - glutton for punishment.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:41 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

With the wagon gone ( :cry: ) I'm down to Mr Poo, the Rover and my 1300. The 1300 was the first car I ever bought and even though a couple of times I had it up for sale (half heartedly), I'm glad I kept it as I met my closest mates through it and had some hilarious adventures (and at the time, very unhilarious breakages and rage moments). Plus, how often do you hear old blokes saying they wish they still had their first car?

I used to work for Smorgon Steelmark (when they still existed) and I used to buy all of the PPE gear for the workers. The company I dealt with was run by a closed religious group, and everyone who worked there drove old chrome bumpered cars. So when I used to drop past, the carpark would be full of Mk1 cortinas, early commodores etc. It was pretty cool. They were all daily drivers too (this was the early 00's).

A girl who worked there was getting married in WA, she had to sell her car, I wanted a Datsun Stanza but couldn't find a decent one at the time and I ended up with this:

It's a '76 FA3TS two door sedan. Translated it means it had a TC 1.3 litre and was the later "widebody" style. Technically it is a pillared "coupe" and R100's are fastback, but who cares. It had pollution gear on it, but is pre ADR 27a (an Australian Design rule for pollution gear etc). When I bought it, it had a 32/36 weber, extractors, a crappy ish but nice sounding exhaust, stupidly big 205 tyres on all around on Cheviot "Star" mag wheels and had been in a few bingles. It also came with every since piece of paper, the purchase receipt, the owners manual, the service manual etc. It was literally a little old ladies car before Dolly, the girl I bought it off, owned it.

This is all pre digital cameras, but to make it short, believe no one on the internet when they say "it bolts straight in". I found that out when I first put a 323 5spd into it and had to get the tail shaft shortened. Then I put in a coil over kit and bigger brakes off a Toyota Tarago (discs) and Holden Camira caliper. With this in the front, it was insanely good fun to drive and I could easily pull away from the rotary guys on cruises up through the hills on the outskirts of Melbourne as I could enter a corner quickly and keep a high speed through it, then pull out of it with the revs up due to the 4.11 factory diff

Then I put in a D5 motor, which is out of the very last RWD 323's and is a 1.5 litre motor. Not as revvy and not as fun, put it had a pinch more torque.

Then the clutch cable snapped (I thought I had shattered the clutch as it locked in gear one night) and I bowed to peer group pressure and this happened:

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

Last edited by ewokracing on Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 1300R - glutton for punishment.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:46 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

12A number 1 lasted about a month I think from memory. 12A number two was built on a sunday from odds and ends with a small extend port and made 119.5HP with a small fuel pump.

I got to the stage where it was almost reliable and hassle free (slightly noisy diff centre and I got scammed on a gearbox off ausrotary), but it was now a pretty quick thing, but it was a pain to drive in traffic, loudish, I didn't like leaving it anywhere. I spent a few months rebuilding the front end with new tie rods and bushes after the Noltec ones fell apart after a few hundred kays of use:

And literally a week after I got it back on the road, this happened:

long story short, never under insure your car! I got $750 dollars and my car back. Boooo urns. So I let it sit for a few years and then yesterday Aaron turned up 1,996 days after the last Mazda project turned up on my doorstep.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:01 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

My wife has been surprisingly calm after half a car turned up and is now living on my front lawn :lol: , although it is hidden from the street by a fence.

I thought it was going to be a FA3TS rear cut, but instead it's a STB (the earlier model). No big deal, I'll only using the quarters and possibly some of the boot floor. The trolley you can see at the back of the rrailer was 50 dollars off ebay and another 50 dollars or so to go and get it. It's proven to be well worth it so far as it's been easy to move the rear end around on it. The guy I bought it off is building a BMW 2002 race car.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:26 pm 

nice one i owned a FA3TS 2 door sedan and a great little car same colour and all, was a 2 owner dad and son then i got it. sold it and wish i never did.. So much run in that little 1300cc :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:35 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Yes but you have a really nice and sorted RX-4 coupe, so I wouldn't be too sad! :)

I heard or read somewhere that white cars sell in huge numbers in Japan, which may explain why a lot of 1300's and Capellas were originally white. The white exterior/brown interior combination seems to have been the best seller in Australia for the FA model. After that comes the other colours like yellow, green, red, a light blue colour, usually the colours apart from Green seem to have had black interiors.

Sadly I missed out on a 2 door FA in the light blue colour and white interior years ago, got to a wreckers too late - it had been crushed. That is probably the rarest combination of paint and trim.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:51 am 

Cool little car. May I ask did you have to make any mods to the trans tunnel or firewall to put in the 12A? What series gearbox? I have an R100 that I was looking at doing a Rx7 12A swap to but have heard the slave cylinder fouls and the starter area (left tunnel) area have to be cut or bashed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:44 am 

Very cool car.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:40 pm 

Looks like most of the damage could be pulled out without too much trouble. I'd give that a go before replacing the entire panel, a lot less work as well.

My grandfather had a dark green one of these bought new to replace his mini..... So long ago now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:52 pm 

Wow, I'd never really seen any pictures of your car before. I'd imagined that the damage to the back was going to be a lot worse, but it is hard to see from that picture.. It's great to hear that you're getting it back on the road again!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:59 pm 

you Aussies got some interesting models we never got in the States. Jealous!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:46 am 

Good to see a real engine...that piston 929 wagon thread made me sleepy! looking forward to updates :tu:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:23 am 

restoremaz wrote:
Good to see a real engine...that piston 929 wagon thread made me sleepy! looking forward to updates :tu:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hj75 cruiser: Offroad
1988 Cefiro: 395RWKW- Dragracing
Gen 3 cr500AF: wheelie machine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:44 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

ozzyincali wrote:
Cool little car. May I ask did you have to make any mods to the trans tunnel or firewall to put in the 12A? What series gearbox? I have an R100 that I was looking at doing a Rx7 12A swap to but have heard the slave cylinder fouls and the starter area (left tunnel) area have to be cut or bashed.

literally two small taps with a peening hammer. One for a bit of starter clearance from memory and the other to clear the clutch fork. We ground down a bit of the clutch fork as well.

Gearbox was a S4T box. Bolted straight up to the factory crossmember.

If you have to bash a tunnel, then you're doing it wrong. I don't care what anyone on Ausrotary says, there are just some butchers out there!
(you might have to notch a hole in the top of the tunnel for a shifter though!)

Dave: was working within a very tight budget.

:P @ dan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:54 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I posted in another thread about racing parts that are "period", but I thought I'd put up the STB 1000/1300 racing parts catalogue of bits you could get from Mazda or probably Mazda Sports Corner (what was that dealerships name again?)

^ Front Cover

^ First Page

^ Second Page

^ Rear Cover

I've got a theory that at first Mazda went overboard with a few things, ie small fussy details on cars, very intricate brochures, lots of parts for the rotary models to go racing up against Skylines etc, gradually that all got cut back (probably because the rotary development was costing so much). If you look at a STB 1300 compared to a FA3TS 1300, the STB is a lot more "detailed" inside, whereas a later FA3TS was pretty sparse and felt a bit cheaper. Maybe this is why there is no FA3TS catalogue for racing parts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:23 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

So there was this:

Not too rusty, some very erm, dubious repairs in a few places, but still pretty sound. Problem: it's a four door. People have little interest in 4 door 1300s. I made the owner an offer a few months ago and on Saturday I finally got around to...

Out came the saber saw:

I now have the finest collection of 1300 rear cuts in Melbourne*:

*possibly.

I need to unpick the green one as some parts off it are spoken for already, I pulled everything that I am not using off the yellow one and gave it away to a young bloke that has just bought a similar two door STB. I'm almost ready to call up the fabricator again as well. Aaron suggested that I drop past a Mazda wrecker near me and measure up a NA8 MX-5 as I might be able to swap over subframes etc. I'm hoping do that next week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:00 am 

Not been on here for ages :oops: but great to see this 8) Shall be following this with great interest.

Only wish I lived a bit closer to help out :roll: :lol:

Could have passed that big red thing on the right on to you as well

Keep up the good work :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:39 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I was only wondering what you were up to the other day Rich. ;)

Yes, that would be lovely, are you going to keep that panel for yours as a spare? Let me know if you need spares of anything, I seem to continually be opening boxes in the garage (now that the Rover is out of the way) and finding stuff that I have forgotten all about...!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:59 am 

Good to see your back on deck with this project Geoff. Is there any of the green 1300 left? I actually need front floor pans (could have done with a rear too) and rust free chassis rails for patch panels.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:59 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Hey Kurt. Yep all of the front is still intact. I bought the rear off Mo and I know he's keen to sell the rest of the shell off.

I hand passed a few more small bits off the green shell to someone else over the weekend. Felt good to see some bits go to finish off someone else's project.

Edit: I cut through the rear floorpan where the rear passengers would rest their feat, but the floorpan that is under the rear seat bottoms are still there and are pretty good, if not perfect. I'm guessing that isn't the part you need though?

Bits I'll have over (in case anyone needs them) are a perfect parcel shelf, a STB rear windscreen, floor sections, rails, boot floors, stb rear light panels (as in the rear panel that the tail lights bolt onto), windscreen frame sections. Let me know via PM if I have some sheet metal that you need.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]