I've said it before, but this thread really should be a sticky on the front page.
we want to encourage old car restoration not scare people away..... do u think I would of done this if I honestly knew what was involved! It's better to keep it where it is
You know that you'll have basically built an RX-3 from scratch when you're done, right?
....... yep and loving it
Minor update, sill almost finished.
Refitted door for again just before I started plug welding to ensure sill is installed straight. Pic 2, no turning back now, welding has begun.
Lots of plug welds top and bottom of sill panel, its not going anywhere. The MIG was on its last legs and couldnt finish the job off that day. SIP Migmate 150 is a piece of Sh!t !! One day it welds beautifully, the next day without touching any settings it plays up. I had enough of it and should have replaced it long ago. I replaced the unit with a reputable American brand, and cant believe the difference. Its like comparing a Bugatti Veyron to a Fiat Bambino 500.... there is just no comparison, I just love the new unit. For people looking at MIGs stick to the reputable big names like Kempi, Lincoln, Miller etc. From the word go I noticed a better cleaner arc, and the gun is miles ahead of the old unit. For people with a keen eye you'll notice that Im placing my plugs inbetween the factory welds. I achieved this by unpicking the sill from the inside to try and keep it looking factory.... well thats the theory.
More clamping welding....
Inside view and dressing the welds.
Doesnt take too long to dress the welds..... still need to do dress the underside.
Next step will be to clean the sill end cap and weld into place. Once that's complete I'll clean up the sill, left A Pillar and door jam and spray a sealer coat to water proof the areas. Once the patch in pic 2 goes on I really cant spray inside the quarter very well. Pic 2, this is the patch that I'll be using to finish off the quarter panel. Unfortunately they all rust at the bottom so you're going to see some fabrication work when Im ready.
I counted 10 layers before I hit the factory white paint. I'm going to fabricate the lower section and the wheel arch curve/ flange as its bogged up and pitted. This will all be done off the car prior to fitting.
The bottom of the sill should be dressed up and finished tomorrow, I'll need to make a start on the sill end cap and just for something different I've also started cleaning up the insides of the door shells. They are pretty good but there is some minor surface rust that needs to be cleaned up before I prime then. I dont wont the rust converter affecting the primer and then possibly the paint work so needs to be done before priming is done. Its a crap job but unfortunately I have no apprentice to off load this particular task too
Another small update.... I've got my blinkers on, and can see the goal line in regards to the shell. It's only taken 4 years ! I thought I'd work on something different and finish off the right side of the shell while Im waiting on a couple of things to complete the left side.
Some trimming and clean up of the inner panel, this has been previously repaired when one of the previous owners made a lower patch skin. A little bit of repair work going on. Ive lost count on the amount of rusty metal that Ive removed.
I need to work on the outer skin while repairing the inner panels simultaneously to ensure all fits. Pic 1, repairing a scrape. Pic 2, I beat out the dent over a bag of rags using a concave hammer on the inside.
Smoothed out the crease over a post dolly, there is a small section that will need to be done once the panel is fitted to the car. Apart from that its 90% gone aside from a minor section just below where the reflector mounts towards the very rear. Pic 2, welding on some replacement metal where the skin will partially mount over. I cut off the old metal because it was rusty metal welded to the replacement patch.
Early stages of the repair.... unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of the finished repair !
Dummy fitting the skin so I can adjust the inards accordingly
Repairing and reshaping part of the inner wheel arch. The bottom part was rusty which has now been fixed. The previous repairer just welded right over the top of the bad bits when they replaced the lower skin. If I took this approach I would have been finished years ago. Pic 2, screwing the arch so I can adjust it to the sedan skin, there are very minor differences between coupe and sedan skins that 99% of people wouldnt notice. Fixing little bits and pieces even though you'll never see them consumes lots of extra hours. When Im using offcuts I notice that its quite common to not remove the rusty metal. Ive seen this time and time again. When someone says its all been metal plated up, that means nothing to me after what Ive seen. Photos of a repair mean everything.
Repairing and adjusting the wheel arch before it all goes back together.
Pic 1, the repaired arch, lower section is partially new. Pic 2, getting ready to tack into place for minor adjustments, very fiddly work. I could have left it but thought better of it.
Trimming the skin, I think the neighbours hated me while I was carefully trimming the skin..... about 30minutes worth of noise that couldnt be helped.
Getting there, inner skin almost done. Will sandblast and prime tomorrow prior to finishing off the inner section as wheel arch over laps with the inner quarter panel. Bare metal in between the joints = future rust. Pic 2, readjusting and taking again. Hopefully I get the position right this time.
Panel clamps used to hold skin in place while I check alignment of inner wheel arch....
More to follow, sandblasting and priming tomorrow. If there is time the skin will hopefully be welding into place. Ahh Im really tired, been rolling around on the floor most of the day.