beaut 1500 there mate, good work

colink wrote:
sweet ride

thanks guys
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:31 am 

Wow, terrific ride.

I was thinking that these cars dont really need a rotary, although the R30 got the 13A. But I think yours looks really neat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:33 am 

thanks mate, glad you like it :D
yeah, there are some cool piston powered versions kickin around, i just wanted something different with this project. the rest of the car was already pretty sweet, it just needed the driveline beefed up a bit.
i wanted to keep it Mazda, so rotor power was the best option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:27 am 

Looking forward to seeing it in flesh at this years Brisbanes Hot rod show. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:58 pm 

yeah, should be fun...looking forward to it.
Also got it in the Cleveland auto spectacular on Sunday the 26th April.

http://www.clevelandautospectacular.com.au/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:29 pm 

a few new pics 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:46 am 

wow nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:54 am 
JNC Enthusiast

got 3 word thats rhymes 4 u..
OLSKOOL is KOOL
kool ridez m8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:52 am 

thanks dude !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:01 pm 

It's great to see this car again. The rotary conversion takes it to the next level. Pics of this car were my original inspiration to buy an 1800 5 years ago. So I'm working on an 1800 Deluxe wagon which I've had converted to take a 13b. The shell has been taken back to bare metal and finished in primer. It's in storage waiting for panel and paint. It will most likely been finished Arctic White like yours and lowered on 18's. It will be the spiritual brother to Ol Skool ;) There's lots (years) of stripping, powder coating, nickel plating and parts sourcing to go. I'm also planning a disc rear conversion using an RX2 diff. I need to research this more, though I've been told it will work. It would be good to get your advice nearer to the time that I fettle the motor into the car. Also would be good to get Clayton's contact details from you if you have them, I can't find his site any more. Keep us updated on progress on your unique car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:27 am 

robj wrote:
It's great to see this car again. The rotary conversion takes it to the next level. Pics of this car were my original inspiration to buy an 1800 5 years ago. So I'm working on an 1800 Deluxe wagon which I've had converted to take a 13b. The shell has been taken back to bare metal and finished in primer. It's in storage waiting for panel and paint. It will most likely been finished Arctic White like yours and lowered on 18's. It will be the spiritual brother to Ol Skool ;) There's lots (years) of stripping, powder coating, nickel plating and parts sourcing to go. I'm also planning a disc rear conversion using an RX2 diff. I need to research this more, though I've been told it will work. It would be good to get your advice nearer to the time that I fettle the motor into the car. Also would be good to get Clayton's contact details from you if you have them, I can't find his site any more. Keep us updated on progress on your unique car.

Hey mate,

thanks for all the comments, its cool to hear the car had the same effect on someone else as it did me when i first saw it. you'll have to chuck some pics up of yours, keen to see it hey. Theirs a few cool wagons kickin around that have had the rotor conversion done. i think they look awesome.
gonna do the diff at some stage too. not in a mega hurry though.the brakes are main priority at this stage.
not sure of Claytons contact details, just pm him (or Jordan) thru this site or Ausrotary.
good luck!

oh, heres a few pics from a car show last weekend......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:46 am 

Thanks for the new pics. That car is clean as a whistle, just looks better every time... How did you find the fabrication work, fitting the rotor? Did you have the top of the trans tunnel cut and reshaped? And the firewall cut to clear the gearbox? The guys who did the fabrication told me that the block would have to come out to change the clutch - is that the same deal with your set up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:41 am 

robj wrote:
Thanks for the new pics. That car is clean as a whistle, just looks better every time... How did you find the fabrication work, fitting the rotor? Did you have the top of the trans tunnel cut and reshaped? And the firewall cut to clear the gearbox? The guys who did the fabrication told me that the block would have to come out to change the clutch - is that the same deal with your set up?

thanks mate,
the fab wasnt anything overly difficult, yes, the tunnel was modified. had to cut the whole top off it and replace it with a much larger piece. no, the firewall was ok. the slave cylinder is the closest bit, which just clears.
you will also need to modify the chassis cross Chanel half way along,as the tailshaft will hit it ( the original shaft is 2 piece, you will now require a custom single 3" shaft )
you'll also need to fab up a gearbox x member (and the obvious front engine mounts )
theres a stack of photos online, feel free to check'em out.
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n142 ... da1500-RE/
no, the engine wont need to come out to do the clutch at all.
i did mine a few months back. no probs dropping the box out.
(apart from having to do it by myself which sucked balls )
cheers,

Phill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:44 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

that engine looks great in the bay. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:10 pm 

whit wrote:
that engine looks great in the bay. :tu:

thanks mate!
is that your ride in your sig ? looks wicked man. love the flares & racing stripes, very cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:28 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Sig car is: 78 sr5 corolla coupe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:54 am 

1500RE wrote:
robj wrote:

thanks mate,
the fab wasnt anything overly difficult, yes, the tunnel was modified. had to cut the whole top off it and replace it with a much larger piece. no, the firewall was ok. the slave cylinder is the closest bit, which just clears.
you will also need to modify the chassis cross Chanel half way along,as the tailshaft will hit it ( the original shaft is 2 piece, you will now require a custom single 3" shaft )
you'll also need to fab up a gearbox x member (and the obvious front engine mounts )
theres a stack of photos online, feel free to check'em out.
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n142 ... da1500-RE/
no, the engine wont need to come out to do the clutch at all.
i did mine a few months back. no probs dropping the box out.
(apart from having to do it by myself which sucked balls )
cheers,

Phill

Hey thanks for the pics, really helpful. I see that you ground the old mounts off the subframe. Did you weld any new ones up, or do the plates at the front handle the the mounting duties?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:37 am 

No Probs,
, yep , thats all there is. just cut the old ones off. and make up brackets that sit on the chassis rail. i wouldn't weld brackets on as you need the option of shuffling the engine around to get it sitting right.
the bracket on the front of the engine is just a standard Early rotary type.
same with the rubber mounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 am 
I hope that my 1500 will look something like that when i'm done.

That engine looks like it could have been the stock engine.
It's perfect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:24 am 

Do you have to modify the crank of the engine?

My Mazda 1500 is now using FE engine. I am not very happy with it's performance. I plan to put a B6 or BP into my Mazda 1500 but I can't because of the crank. I am now considering a 13B without turbo.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 45 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next