It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 45 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 1968 Mazda 1500 deluxe - S5 13BT
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:23 am 

Hi All,

I thought id post some pics of my 15

A brief history first.
Some of you may have seen this car on Ausrota, and possibly FFR a few years back.
Originally built as a stock resto by MR-RX3 back in 2003 to the highest standard (took out 15 trophies at various shows from 03-04)
Everything on the car was replaced with NOS or restored to better than new.
No expense spared. The only performance addition was the ultra low ride height, 18" rollers and an Uber fat sound system. So Kudos go to Clayton and Jordan for a top quality build.
The car was then sold to a bloke in Melbourne with plans to do a rota conversion. That didn't eventuate, and was then up for sale again.
At the time i was feeling nostalgic, and was looking around for an old classic piece of Japanese metal to do up (Back in the mid 90's i built a TA22 Celica with a 12AT and was also lucky enough to own an Original JDM 74 model LUCE)
But, my first car as a teenager was a 1970 Mazda 1800 deluxe.
That where the idea of finding another, and carrying out a rota conversion came about. The shape is one of the best to come out of Japan in the 1960's and was truly deserving of a rotary powerplant upgrade (and would be something original)
That's when by chance i came across this example. As soon as i saw it, i knew it was meant to be, so a deal was struck and it was on its was up on a car carrier. All the body work and interior was done, it just needed the rota to make it perfect.
Well, 1 year later, the conversion is done. There is still plenty to do yet, brake upgrade, diff etc, but the main part is now sorted :D
Ive only really had it running properly the last week or so, and am stoked with it so far. I wanted to make this engine look like it was supposed to be there, so no major "visible" surgery was carried out on the car. And the engine and bay has been detailed to suit the vibe of the car.
As far as the driveline goes, its a series 5 13B turbo, std internals,
the turbo is a hybrid custom unit using the S5 front housing and a T04 rear. Custom steam pipe high mount manifold with a 46mm external wastegate. Custom 2.5" mild steel exhaust system, std top mount I/C (no room for a front mount) Microtech MT8 ECU.
all the rest is just custom fabricated stuff we had to make ourselves. The conversion itself certainly wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible either.its a tight fit, and took a fair bit of planning and preparation. In saying that, it was still a budget build, as im not made of money :lol:

anyway, here's a few pics from along the way.......

From when it was known as "olskool"
the old 4 banger
out with the old
dummy fit the 13B
and skip a few months....new radiator and wiring is finished
all done :D
I had to get the suspension raised due to the 3" single piece tailshaft.
It would have been touch ing the floor the way it sat before
Image :lol:

Last edited by 1500RE on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:57 am 
JNC Enthusiast

really...thats a very..very.. nice and clean mazda :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:09 am 
Administrator

I usually don't dig the Ozzie big rim style, but that's gorgeous! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:23 pm 

cheers guys :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:44 pm 

nice care mate :mrgreen: :tu:

I've always wanted one since i saw one in highschool about 5 or 6 years ago, I really like your rotary conversion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:13 pm 

benny_blanco wrote:
nice care mate :mrgreen: :tu:

I've always wanted one since i saw one in highschool about 5 or 6 years ago, I really like your rotary conversion

thanks mate, glad you like it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:43 am 
JNC Fanatic

Sweet ride mate, glad to see it now resides here in Brisvegas. I saw the rocket when Clayton still owned it so I can back you up there on his very thorough rebuild!

Looks like a sweet conversion you've done there too, You'd better come along to one of our events now!! Last meeting had a 1800 sedan that was rotorized as well

Timbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:54 am 

B1500boy wrote:
Sweet ride mate, glad to see it now resides here in Brisvegas. I saw the rocket when Clayton still owned it so I can back you up there on his very thorough rebuild!

Looks like a sweet conversion you've done there too, You'd better come along to one of our events now!! Last meeting had a 1800 sedan that was rotorized as well

Timbo

Hey Tim, cheers for that. yeah, it was already a great car when i picked it up. i was pretty lucky there.
count me in for the next event for sure! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:25 am 
JNC Fanatic

sorry man, meant to ask last post, what are you doing with the piston engine out of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:00 am 

B1500boy wrote:
sorry man, meant to ask last post, what are you doing with the piston engine out of it?

sold it........ it went back over to Perth funnily enough.

hmmmm, have you got much in the way of spares ?

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:52 am 
JNC Fanatic

man, what do you need, got a few bits and pieces cars saved from the scrappers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:05 am 

B1500boy wrote:

my driver side wiper motor shat a few months back. haven't had much luck finding a replacement ( not that im that surprised )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:29 am 

B1500boy wrote:

Any A6 (early) 1500 steering wheel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:19 am 
JNC Fanatic

1500RE wrote:
B1500boy wrote:

my driver side wiper motor shat a few months back. haven't had much luck finding a replacement ( not that im that surprised )

The most sort after part on a 1500 besides a working driver's window winder unit!

Mate, I had to remake the main plastic drive gear(the main reason the motor fails) from alloy and the rewire and make new contacts as every motor I've found is no good. And true to they form, Mazda made sure that the 1800 had different motors that don't seem to fail but wont work in the 1500, even though for quite a while here they sold the 1500 and 1800 side by side!

We'll have to get together one weekend and I'll show you what I did to fix the little bugger. Plus I'd like to see your rocket in the flesh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:19 am 

Nice 1500 champ. Our next run is on the sunday 15th Feb nothing big just a localised run. :tu:

Last edited by rx7s2 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:24 am 
JNC Fanatic

baltsiotis wrote:
B1500boy wrote:

Any A6 (early) 1500 steering wheel?

Is that the steering wheel with the Luce pattern badge in the centre? Would you have a pic of which wheel you need? This one? That's wheel's no good broken unfortunately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:50 am 

B1500boy wrote:
1500RE wrote:
B1500boy wrote:

The most sort after part on a 1500 besides a working driver's window winder unit!

Mate, I had to remake the main plastic drive gear(the main reason the motor fails) from alloy and the rewire and make new contacts as every motor I've found is no good. And true to they form, Mazda made sure that the 1800 had different motors that don't seem to fail but wont work in the 1500, even though for quite a while here they sold the 1500 and 1800 side by side!

We'll have to get together one weekend and I'll show you what I did to fix the little bugger. Plus I'd like to see your rocket in the flesh!

ha, just my luck mate. i don't know exactly whats wrong with it, as i haven't pulled it down to have a look as yet. All of a sudden both stopped working, so i pulled the covers off to have a look, disconnected the cable between them, which let let the passenger side one work again. there is power going to both, but the drivers side doesn't want to fire up, so i figured it may have burnt out.
is left & right interchangeable ? if it is, at least i could swap them over for the time being?

yeah man, id be keen to check out your collection too, where abouts are you ?
ive only had it on the road a few weeks, so im pretty keen for a drive at the moment......

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:53 am 

rx7s2 wrote:
Nice 1500 champ. Our next run is on the sunday 16th Feb nothing big just a localised run. :tu:

damn, i wont be around that weekend, have to make it to the next one though mate, im keen to go for a cruise with you guys for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:42 am 

beaut 1500 there mate, good work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:50 am 

sweet ride

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 45 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next