#
It is currently Sat May 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 48 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 1972 Mazda rx2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:59 pm 

Hello to all, I got the opportunity to aquire a 1972 mazda rx2 sedan recentely.... My best friend (Will) got a call from another friend (Austin) about the car about a month ago, The car was scheduled to go to the local scrap yard but the owner knew Austin bought older cars and gave him a call. Austin called Will upon seeing the car he sent pics to Will who promptly agreed to buy it. Will call me and sent pics upon which i got entirely too excited and said we need to pick up the right now ( which was around 9pm)...anyway a few weeks passed, Will did alot of research for parts, engine options, upgrades and such but we did not have the time to make the 6 hour round trip to pick it up.

Will called me one evening and asked if i had the opportunity to buy the car if i would...i said hell yea! he then said well its yours!....i asked him how much and he said zero...its a gift... a token of his appreaciation for the help i've given him over the years. I was Moved to say the least...no one has ever done that for me...it was more the gesture than the car....My Friend had given me a car and an awesome one at that!

Well its been about month since we first got wind of the car and its not been picked up yet but being that car is out in the open and its been raining i did not want to chance getting stuck out in the boonies... but this coming weekend the weather is supposed to be great so fingers crossed its coming home.

The car is in Menard Texas and its a very dry, desert area so i am hoping that the car has not rusted too badly, the car is actually a 1 owner car and was bought by the family that currently has it.

Post subject: Re: 1972 Mazda rx2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:48 pm 

Good luck! :tu: :mrgreen:

And let me know if you ever want to sell it. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:08 pm 

nice :tu:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:56 am 

Its got the super rare orange interior! ahhhhhhhhhhh! Good find!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:57 am 

Thanks guys...honestly, i am not well educated on things of a rotary nature...i've been into Nissan/Datsun and Mitsubishi's from a young age so that's where my knowledge lies....My cousin had a rx7 back in the mid 90's and another cousin bought a 2 door RX2 as well..thats when i got the rotary bug. I bought a turbo 2 in 07, got it running and sold it in 09 and wanted one back from then. Ill will really appreaciate any help and pointers along the way from the members here, especially with parts sourcing.

I have quite a few projects and have already bagan to thin out the collection to make space and time available for this car. I sold the 510 column shift, sold the R32 Skyline gts-t, sold a couple 240sx's, and will be selling the Toyota Mark II soon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:08 pm 

Glad to hear you have solid plans for it. :tu: :mrgreen:

Then I'll ask, if you ever see a 4dr 510 for sale let me know. :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:22 pm 

This is awesome, another great story! You guys have such a vast country that these gems still pop up and untouched. Plenty of helpful guys on here too. Personally that car is so original with a great story that I would only clean and get it running, spend your time and money on running gear, bushes etc then just pop out the rear 1/4 panel best you can and enjoy it in all it's historic patina glory. Not enough mazdas are just left alone and looked after, it's all strip it rebuild blah blah. There is a green rx2 coupe that pops up at events covered by JNC in the states that is exactly that, embrace it's patina but the running gear is all redone and nice. Park it at events and tell other enthusiasts that same story of how it came to be yours. :tu:

I like Johns way of thinking^^ I have dreams of a late 60's LHD 2 door 510 in my garage. Look forward to seeing more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:11 am 

john wrote:
Glad to hear you have solid plans for it. :tu: :mrgreen:

Then I'll ask, if you ever see a 4dr 510 for sale let me know. :P

John, i Know of one in Houston, faded black, some suspension mods, L18/5 speed (i'm not 100% on that). decent interior.

The car is owned by a bonafide J-Tin Hoarder!! I have seen and owned alot of RHD and LHD cars and i have a decent collection but this guys' collection blew me away!

Mazda - 2 rx2 wagons - 1 boosted and restored the other in awesome condition all oem, 2nd Gen rx7.
Datsun - 240z, 510 wagon with cage, 510 coupe and sedan, datsun 411 wagon.
Totota- 1970- 2 door celica (rolling shell), 70's 2 door celica lift back restored all OEM, RHD levin, 2 door SR5 corolla, all generation mr2's, Celica all trac turbo, camry AWD.
Thats just what i can remember from where we were, he's got a warehouse as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:19 am 

beans161 wrote:
This is awesome, another great story! You guys have such a vast country that these gems still pop up and untouched. Plenty of helpful guys on here too. Personally that car is so original with a great story that I would only clean and get it running, spend your time and money on running gear, bushes etc then just pop out the rear 1/4 panel best you can and enjoy it in all it's historic patina glory. Not enough mazdas are just left alone and looked after, it's all strip it rebuild blah blah. There is a green rx2 coupe that pops up at events covered by JNC in the states that is exactly that, embrace it's patina but the running gear is all redone and nice. Park it at events and tell other enthusiasts that same story of how it came to be yours. :tu:

I like Johns way of thinking^^ I have dreams of a late 60's LHD 2 door 510 in my garage. Look forward to seeing more.

I am on the same path, rebuild the suspension, clean up the interior and the body. I'll deal with the rust and possible primer it white. I really want to get the damaged tailight, missing side marker and the rear garnish as well. also looking a rim options but the bolt pattern is limiting options. I have no plans for the engine untill i check it out and access the condition, the gas tank will definetely need to be restored...i'm sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:37 pm 

10psitx wrote:
John, i Know of one in Houston, faded black, some suspension mods, L18/5 speed (i'm not 100% on that). decent interior.

Is it for sale? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:06 am 

john wrote:
10psitx wrote:

Is it for sale? :mrgreen:

It was when i was there in January, ill find out later this week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:42 pm 

10psitx wrote:
It was when i was there in January, ill find out later this week.

Excellent. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:11 am 

Nice to see this saved 8) looking forward to updates

Nissan Bluebird SSS Coupe #25 Race Car
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24339

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:09 am 

My buddy called me last friday and said we need to pick up the car ASAP, the car had been moved to Austin's place and parked on the street in front of the house which just happens to be the Main street in town!...so last night we made the 6 hour round trip to pick it up. The trip was fine but i was very concerned as i just got a new truck, our Destination was smack dab in BIG DEER running across the road at night and smashing the front of my new truck country! My concern was not in vain....no deer was harmed but holy shyte...we saw at least 60 of them bedding down, munching on grass, or just standing around giving me mini heart attacks. I've never seen that many deer any where in such a short space of time....Those of you that don't know, hitting a deer doing 65 to 70 mph is catastrophic to a vehicle.
Any who, back to the picking up of the car we got there aroung 8pm and took a good look at the car, i'm glad to say preliminary inspection showed better than expected condition, minimal rust, very little rot(holes) and as far as i can tell 95% of the parts that was on or in the car from new is STILL there. The rust has made holes in the hood(bonnet), around the rear winsheild, the driver floor pan may have some pin holes after getting wire brushed but the rest if the car looks solid, trunk area is half pristine and half rusty (missing side light let water in and settled), wheel wells in great shape too, subframe and suspension parts has very light surface rust. Interior is again better than expected, front passender seats are great driver seat bottom damaged, back seat bottom is good, top part of the back rest is toast, headliner ok shap.. all chrome is there and in awesome shape, all doors open and close and rust free, windowns function as well. The engine and bay looks to be complete and untouched as well. The car has factory air conditioning...all intact.
I am eager to start working on this but i have a few projects to wrap up first so ill be going through the car and ordering suspension and brake parts first, clean and install, then tackle the engine and interior and lastly once everthing is done i'll tear it apart and get the body and paint done

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:17 am 

Obligatory Gas station pics!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:20 am 

Pics i took this morning,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:26 am 

trunk rust

electrical unit? mitsubishi...not sure what its function is but im sure someone on here can enlighten me

Exhaust system with ancillary pipe for emission complaince i assume??

Factory tool kit

Rear winsheild rust

All the doors look like this

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:28 am 

Rust holes in the hood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:34 pm 

That is awesome that you found that car and saved it. Looks to be in decent shape for it's age.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:29 pm 

Very cool find.

A couple of things interest me with this car. First the orange interior that john mentioned. Very rare on a USDM Rx. I had a white 74 rx3 with the orange interior. A few old timers believed it was originally a Hawaiian delivered car!!! Orange was common on oz delivered cars but not LHD. Another is the reinforcement plate that is on the strut top. Every rx2 I can remember that was smooth. R100s had that similar arrangement. It could be a very early 1971 model maybe? But then it would have the antenna at the rear right. Anyway very cool find. Good luck

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 48 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next