#
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 45 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:40 am 
JNC Fanatic

yeah mate, it's a bit closer to 60 now darn it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:39 am 

she looked sweet as tim. need to get a 323 to that nick :)

Post subject: 45 Years in Queensland
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:00 am 

Thought I would share with fellow forum users a rare event for the B1500 utility shown here. On Sunday 5th October at the All Jap Show here in QLD it was parked alongside my 1964 Mazda Carol 600 to celebrate 45 years of Mazda here in QLD.

In late 1963 Westco Mazda imported just 12 Mazda Carol 600s and 10 Mazda B1500 utilities to test the water for their new Mazda franchise. A further shipment arrived in 1964 before the release of the 800 wagon later that year to sell alongside the B1500. Sales were very good but the 1500 sedan series released in 1966 was the main catalyst for huge sales growth all over Australia. By this time Westco had expanded into other states as importer and distributor as well.

These two Mazda vehicles started the Mazda brand off in Australia, not the very few Mazda T600 utilities first sold in WA in 1959 that Mazda Australia bragged about in 1999 for their 40 years in Australia. Yes, the T600 did get sold in Australia but after just a handfull were sold nothing happended again in any meaningfull numbers until Westco arrived on the scene in late 1963. The R360 was missed out completely (Mazda's first car - ever) apart from an evaluation car sent to WA. A few were brought into NSW by individual importers.

So there you have it. If you were at the show I hope you realised how important both of these vehicles are to the history and eventual success of Mazda in this country. For those of you that weren't, I hope that you quietly thank the Anderson brothers from Toowoomba, directors of Westco, for their enormous insight into what the Australian public would buy. They also introduced the Hino Contessa into this country in 1965 along with Mack trucks much earlier.

HC10E 929 Hardtop
LA4MV 929 Wagon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:12 am 

Oh, and for those of you wondering, standing in front of my Carol 600 in the bottom pic wearing the white shirt and cap is B1500boy himself!

HC10E 929 Hardtop
LA4MV 929 Wagon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:14 pm 

well done on that super rare find! Cant wait to see it in the flesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:53 am 
JNC Fanatic

japaneserestorer wrote:
Oh, and for those of you wondering, standing in front of my Carol 600 in the bottom pic wearing the white shirt and cap is B1500boy himself!

Not quite close enough pic, but I'm wearing my JNC Shirt and there's a sticker on the back window too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:18 am 

Hey Timbo, have you done anymore work on the ute?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:55 pm 
JNC Fanatic

She's getting a full wiring overhaul at the moment mate, the only thing that was working at the show was low beam, nothing else! I've found some new ignition switches and headlight dipper switches(on the floor like an old Holden!!) so isn't proving to be too hard. Plus at the same time I can copy all the factory colours down as I've never found a loom diagram.

Mind you, most of the new loom is 7 core like the aftermarket trailer wiring so ten metres of that has just about covered the job!

She's also getting some more work on the front add, matched up early Nissan sway bar items that fit perfectly + Volvo trailing arm bushes fit the lower arms - yes Volvo I know but they work perfectly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:20 am 

Once again niiiiice!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:08 am 
JNC Fanatic

Hey gang,

Here's a few shots of her ready for the hot rod show that was held last weekend here. You can't see it but the new front wiring loom I made is now in place as well as the front modified suspension bushes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:08 pm 
Administrator

Dang, that looks great!! Congrats on a job well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:39 am 
JNC Fanatic

Thank Ben, I was really amazed at the amount of people that wanted to photograph it, sit in it etc. Bit of a girly magnet happening!

It was certainly pissing off a lot of the $100,000+ trailer queen show cars there with many owners lost for words as to why. Even stopped the judges and they were asking why it wasn't getting judged. Sorta makes those sleepless nights worthwhile!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:37 am 
Administrator

B1500boy wrote:
Thank Ben, I was really amazed at the amount of people that wanted to photograph it, sit in it etc. Bit of a girly magnet happening!

It was certainly pissing off a lot of the $100,000+ trailer queen show cars there with many owners lost for words as to why. Even stopped the judges and they were asking why it wasn't getting judged. Sorta makes those sleepless nights worthwhile!

How many girls did you carry home in the back? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:31 am 
JNC Fanatic

As many as I could! It was a bit scary the amount of them wanting to sit in the B1500. Maybe the old rocket has solved how to pick up the ladies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:54 pm 
Administrator

B1500boy wrote:
As many as I could! It was a bit scary the amount of them wanting to sit in the B1500. Maybe the old rocket has solved how to pick up the ladies!

So where are the pics of that? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:37 am 
JNC Fanatic

Bit slack on my updates!!

Moving house and vehicle/museum collection, the poor old girl has had to sit in the shed.

The new back wiring loom, has been made. I am making a new front half as we speak, will modernize the fuse box at little ie keep the factory one under the bonnet and make a new one for up under the dash, also will be adding some more accurate guages as well.

Next job will be engine bay clean up. Will also have to remove the gearbox again as the rear main seal, has let go again. I will machine up a new rear crank bearing cap to fit a modern twin lip seal so my clutch doesn't die from oil again!!

Here it is with some correct guard mirrors(finally!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:16 pm 

Nice Timbo! looking good mate...where on earth did you find those mirrors? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:05 pm 

Never noticed the mirrors in before and after shots Madaz, you have eyes like a hawk !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:08 pm 
JNC Fanatic

madaz wrote:
Nice Timbo! looking good mate...where on earth did you find those mirrors? :shock:

Hey mate! In Japan, through a good friend. I thought it would be the last place as very few of the JDM B1500 had two mirrors, just the drivers side. They were second hand but I was happy with anything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:47 am 
JNC Enthusiast

did you keep the J-reg victoria plate? I haven't seen a J plate in a long time.

beautiful ute.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 45 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next