#
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My 1977 Muscat Green Mazda Capella
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:11 pm 

Hey guys - long time lurker first time poster, I picked this gem up on the 13/03/2014 and thought i'd show it :)

11/1977 Mazda Capella Sedan (pointy nose dogbone lights)
Muscat Green (FP)
Brown vinyl trim
1600cc piston engine
3spd automatic

The car is well known around the Western Australian rotary scene and apparently it has had 3 owners before myself, the first (and longest) was a little old lady who worked at the Good Sammys :D I believe it has around 155,000kms going off the service history and the condition of the car, it's a shame the odometers don't go past '99,999' on these old mazdas :roll: It still has the factory spare (which hasn't seen the road), the factory tool kit which is complete and the factory jack.

Current mods & bits which were done by the previous owner (Sam who was a fantastic person to deal with, always a bonus!):
Late model RX2 hubcaps, white-wall inserts, Venetians

Not too many plans for it as i like them period-correct and mostly untouched, however i have ordered an exterior sunvisor, vintage style numberplates and might consider bringing the ride height down about 30mm (open to suggestions otherwise!), oh and if the motor decides to give up the ghost a nice little 13b mildport might find its way in there :)

Enough of me babbling, see pics (interior, boot and bay coming soon)

Her first cruise through Leederville (which happened to fall on St Patricks Day!)

Post subject: Re: My 1977 Muscat Green Mazda Capella
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:48 am 

Very nice. Remember, they are only original once and that is where the value is.

2003 Lexus LS430 sedan
2011 Mazda CX7 diesel wagon
1977 Honda Z50 J1 Mini Trail
Then there are the three fire engines.......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:57 am 
JNC Enthusiast

^ what he said. Keep it, treasure it, pass it on to the next person that will take care of it.

Plenty of rotarised Capellas out there now, not many piston ones left.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:48 pm 

Nice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:40 pm 

Very nice, looks like the grey on the rear garnish/grill and headlight surrounds could do with a freshen up in the original colour.
:tu:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:50 pm 

mazdajon wrote:
Very nice. Remember, they are only original once and that is where the value is.

ewokracing wrote:
^ what he said. Keep it, treasure it, pass it on to the next person that will take care of it.

Plenty of rotarised Capellas out there now, not many piston ones left.

banzaitoyota wrote:
Nice

Thanks guys, i have to admit i do enjoy driving it without pissing my neighbours off or looking over my shoulder the whole time, can't get that with a ported rotary! :twisted:

EggBath wrote:
Very nice, looks like the grey on the rear garnish/grill and headlight surrounds could do with a freshen up in the original colour.
:tu:

Thanks :D You're right i would love to get them painted in the original grey, unfortunate the garnish has some pretty big cracks and as they're on the rippled-finish part of the garnish it can't be repaired to a decent standard. I'm on the lookout for a replacement just for that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:52 pm 

WOW!! What a beauty... 8)
Absolutely stunning and I love the color.
I'll jump right in the and second all that's said above about originality.
Such a survivor simple has to be kept unmolested and original.
I know you Aussies like your sun visors, but while period I'd even leave that off as I feel they just look clumsy and foul up the otherwise clean lines.
Congrats on picking up a great little piston Mazda. :tu: Wish I could find a 4 door JNC as cool as that here in Hong Kong...

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:59 pm 

02Anders wrote:
WOW!! What a beauty... 8)
Absolutely stunning and I love the color.
I'll jump right in the and second all that's said above about originality.
Such a survivor simple has to be kept unmolested and original.
I know you Aussies like your sun visors, but while period I'd even leave that off as I feel they just look clumsy and foul up the otherwise clean lines.
Congrats on picking up a great little piston Mazda. :tu: Wish I could find a 4 door JNC as cool as that here in Hong Kong...

Thank you :D any modifications that i'll be carrying out are simple enough to revert back to standard if i wish, i'm not cutting the rear end up to fit 20x10s any time soon! :P

Here are some (poor quality) pictures of the trim - please excuse the dirt in the car the GF doesn't know how to wipe her feet :lol:

As you can see the dashtop is quite cracked and the handbrake cover has almost completely disintegrated! if anyone has a spare laying around please PM me :)

Oh and the sticker on the glovebox is a relic from the original owner, it reads "A Motorists Prayer" - very nanna spec

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:33 am 

Nice purchase! Not many of the series 4s left these days, and a great colour combo to boot! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:20 am 

The car looks great. I hope the horrid 4 pot kicks the bucket sooner rather than later. Life's better with a rotary :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:26 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

02Anders wrote:

they are period though and do stop the sun from burning and ruining the interior vinyl.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:16 pm 

Hey guys, no real updates at this time aside from a few small things (custom plates, new alternator + battery) however i was hoping someone could help me out, I did the steering column bush which wasn't a problem but now my steering wheel is constantly catching/rubbing on the steering column surround! It is re-assembled the exact same way it was disassmbled but as soon as the steering wheel nut gets tighter it pushes it onto the column, so aside from the very annoying creaking and movement of the column it also makes the car much harder to steer as the steering wheel doesn't always return to centre :shock: has anyone had this issue before? I've tried everything and i'm out of ideas :(

Oh and if you're from AUstralia and looking to buy an external sunvisor from either Hy-Way Sunvisors or Autocables... just don't do it :roll:

a pic from a perthrotary.com meet

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:53 pm 

Very nice car, i would love to have one of these but i don't think we got the series 4 in nz or at least i've never seen one,
as for the steering problem i think you are missing one little part, it's a clip or collar that sits in the groove behind the column spline where the the wheel locates,
it looks like a c clip but a bit thicker and fits in the groove so the wheel sits down on it, hope that helps

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:59 pm 

Car is looking sweet! 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:00 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Yep. Sounds like you need the little clip on the column.

Yell out if you need an electronic distributor, I bought one for my wagon and no longer need it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:27 pm 

Hey guys, sorted out the steering column issue :) turned out i didn't gently tap (aka bash) the new steering bush in so the combination switch/steering column was sitting too high and rubbing on the wheel, bit red-faced on that one but at least its fixed :oops:

In other news after a bit of a shitfight with the sunvisor supplier it is now fitted, i understand its not to everyone's taste but i think these sort of accessories suit the car. Plus it keeps the sun off the already ruined dash and my 1977 RAC sticker on the windscreen :D. It also has some bead seat-covers and a brand new fuel pump.

I sold my daily and am currently on the hunt for a new one which means the old girl has been my commuter, unfortunately one Tuesday afternoon she decided she didn't like that and left me stranded :(

I'm at a bit of a loss what could cause this issue so i'll try to describe it to the best of my abilities: Filled the car up at lunchtime (needle went past full, forgot how little the tanks are in these things) and it drove fine the remainder of the day, go to start it at clock-off time around 4:30PM and it started and idled fine, warmed it up to about 1/4 on the gauge and jumped in and took off. Once i got on a main road and the temp gauge was about 1/2 it would splutter and buck around eventually stalling, no matter what combination of choke or foot on throttle it would still buck around and stall. Kind of felt like if you pull the choke out too quickly on a cold morning and it drops RPM and dies, tried a couple of times to get it to idle once off the main road and it just wouldn't. Seemed noticeably harder to start as well. Any ideas guys?

ewokracing wrote:
Yell out if you need an electronic distributor, I bought one for my wagon and no longer need it.

Thanks for the offer mate i may have to hit you up for it one day. Sorry for the big delays in posts i haven't been progressing too much due to lack of funds :td:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:34 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Moisture in the fuel filter ? I wouldn't think much goes wrong with the old 4 cylinders.

Worth checking I reckon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:33 am 

What a little minter :shock: I would have to agree on the previous statements keep it stock there wont be to many around in that condition and color .
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:50 am 

Do your basic checks - fuel, spark, ignition. Obviously, you have ignition.
So..............
Have you checked to see if there is fuel in the fuel bowl when you are trying to start the car or once it's running?
If no fuel, then check the fuel filter is not blocked and make sure your fuel pump is not on its last legs.
If you have fuel in the fuel bowl, and it's still idling crap, then start looking for carby blockages.
Is the choke actually functional - it's not jammed open for some reason?

If fuel side looks OK, then check:
Plugs, leads, coil, points.

Not sure how old your engine is but burnt valves and blown head gaskets are common with these old girls as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:47 pm 

gypsy wrote:
Moisture in the fuel filter ? I wouldn't think much goes wrong with the old 4 cylinders.

Worth checking I reckon.

Will check that out, thanks :) not sure if that could be it though as the filter and pump etc are all new.

lockeddiff wrote:
What a little minter :shock: I would have to agree on the previous statements keep it stock there wont be to many around in that condition and color .
:mrgreen:

Thanks mate :mrgreen: Unfortunately its a case of 'good from far' as there is quite a few issues with the exterior and engine bay of the car which i hope to be able to freshen up one day (will cop a 12a or 13b but the bay will be done in factory finish i.e. stickers/voltage regulator/battery etc)

philip wrote:
Do your basic checks - fuel, spark, ignition. Obviously, you have ignition.
So..............
Have you checked to see if there is fuel in the fuel bowl when you are trying to start the car or once it's running?
If no fuel, then check the fuel filter is not blocked and make sure your fuel pump is not on its last legs.
If you have fuel in the fuel bowl, and it's still idling crap, then start looking for carby blockages.
Is the choke actually functional - it's not jammed open for some reason?

If fuel side looks OK, then check:
Plugs, leads, coil, points.

Not sure how old your engine is but burnt valves and blown head gaskets are common with these old girls as well.

Thanks for the ideas Philip, probably a stupid question (don't flame me too hard! a little bit is okay :P) but is the fuel level in the bowl supposed to exceed the "level" marking? Quick Google reviles that the float may be stuck or an issue with the needle and/or seat, i am sending the carb away to get a kit put through it over the next few days so fingers crossed.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next