#
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:44 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Rx2 Sedan Update and Refresh (89Rotary Build Thread)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:13 am 

Alright, so with my Rx2, ovbiously i've got the super common 4x110...

so was curious, what are ways i could convert to either a 4x100, or (best case lol) 5x114.3??? since i've got a 89 FC it would be very helpful to have the same bolt pattern. since i've got multiple sets of wheels.

Also another Similar Question. Stud Conversion?? how are you guys going about converting to Studs and Lug nuts?

Sorry still kinda new to the O.G. Rotary Club lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:22 am 

Finally Put some time into my Rx2 (minor time... lol)

So, Decided i wanted to get my Clutch System working again. noticed the slave cylinder looked old. so i blamed it for the failure. ordered and new clutch slave.... got the wrong one.... reordered a fb clutch slave. beautiful! bled the system felt a little pressure.... pushed it with my foot...... bam to the floor no pressure... lol looked under the dash.... leaking from the master.

oooh man... now i gotta find one of these!?!? a quick search (amazingly!) found me a New for 50$ or a Rebuild kit for 16$. having never actually rebuilt one. i decided to try it. ordered the rebuild kit and got the parts in monday. nice looking kit, pulled the master off yesterday and started the process.

Such a easy thing to do. kit came with a updated sythetic piston which is supposed to reduce build up and scoring of the cylinder. cleaned and honed the cylinder to clear the rust out. reinstalled and bled. amazing. very happy with the process and now i have a hydralic cutch system. Pictures of the fiasco, as well as the Kits Part number for those wanting/needing to do this.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:47 pm 

alright, so found a interesting issue that has come out of no where.

Trying to get my Rx2 started and found that when i turn the engine over with the Key in "Start" the engine fires and starts up, soon as the key goes back to "on" its almost as if the car was turned off. will not stay running. havn't had a chance to really look at it (work.....) so just looking for places to start once i get a free day (sunday) Any Ideas would help! Thanks guys!!

Oh

Specs: 1974 Rx2 Sedan 12a SIngle Dizzy, Factory Carb

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:59 pm 

That ignition problem will most likely be due to the coils seeing 12v during cranking, but not once you flick back to reds. The coils on these cars are supplied with two 12v feeds, one is ignition switched 12v, the other is cranking 12v. I'd say there is either a problem with the ignition 12v wire, or it isn't connected.

You could always try connecting ignition switched 12v from elsewhere to confirm, or even constant power from the battery but be aware that the car won't shut off if you connect it to constant power until you disconnect the wire to the coils.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:37 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I like your thinking Ben, also check the ignition coil relay which bypasses the ballast resistors during startup. If you have an electronic ignition you don't need either of these components and they should be disconnected as part of the conversion. You should be using electronic compatible coils that don't need ballast resistors but that won't be your problem..... Yet !

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:10 am 

gypsy wrote:
I like your thinking Ben, also check the ignition coil relay which bypasses the ballast resistors during startup. If you have an electronic ignition you don't need either of these components and they should be disconnected as part of the conversion. You should be using electronic compatible coils that don't need ballast resistors but that won't be your problem..... Yet !

rx7_ben wrote:
That ignition problem will most likely be due to the coils seeing 12v during cranking, but not once you flick back to reds. The coils on these cars are supplied with two 12v feeds, one is ignition switched 12v, the other is cranking 12v. I'd say there is either a problem with the ignition 12v wire, or it isn't connected.

You could always try connecting ignition switched 12v from elsewhere to confirm, or even constant power from the battery but be aware that the car won't shut off if you connect it to constant power until you disconnect the wire to the coils.

Thanks guys, looked into it, and tried jumping the resistors, no change, tried jumping the ignition switch, couldn't find a good wiring diagram, lastly i pulled my plugs..... all of them were fouled out BAD lol. cleaned them and brap brap brap brap brap brap lol

........until it warmed up and then it died out.... thinkin i gotta play with timing or carb adjusting. lol not sure yet. but soon as the choke popped itself in it died and had a EXTREMLY hard time firing up. pulled plugs again, and they weren't fouled so not entirely sure whats up.

have this whole next weekend off (finally) and plan to spend some good time with her (unless i finally close on my house)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:59 am 

Long Time update. no real progress on either car. been focused on buying a home. well. i did. ^_^ and Finally

I have a garage where i can work on my cars. super excited to be able to tear into these beautys and not be worried about weather!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2