So Matt has triggered off an update….It’s been a while since I have been back on the site, so here goes!
The car is largely as it was when I left off. No major changes, especially appearance wise, have happened, but plenty of small and mostly insignificant stuff has happened. I have also made some changes to my RX7, so I will update that one too!!
Ok, so the blue one….Pictures speak a thousand words so I will chuck a few of them in…..
When I left off I had just completed some steering and suspension upgrades….these continued….soon after this I pulled the front end out again due to a collapsed front shock. The front end was pulled down also showing a worn ball mount in the strut top.
I stripped the strut tubes back, cleaned them up and gave them some fresh gloss black. In went new shocks, king springs and some adjustable “Custom Garage” strut tops.
I also took the opportunity to clean up under the guards and hit them with some fresh black.
A bit of messing around with springs, another alignment to give more castor and all was good again!! Plenty of cruising followed this and spring and summer saw plenty of driving!
Over the Christmas break I got bored and started a couple of other minor projects on the car…. The first one was to tidy up the fuel system in the boot, and the second was to tidy up the boot area.
With a bit of planning, some P clamps, satin black paint and new rubber lines I completely replaced all the fuel lines and clamps in the rear of the car, remounted the surge tank further inside the quarter panel and painted the fuel pumps satin black to help camoflague them a bit more. New rubber mounts on the pumps help to shut them up and the clamps hold the lines in place much neater and more subtle to the eye.
The next session in the boot saw a new panel made from MDF mounted to the fuel tank to hide all the uglies behind it and then trimmed up in black vinyl to match the factory boot mat.
Then came the fun stuff…..In keeping with the retro theme of the car I started hunting around for some retro accessories. A tartan print suitcase and vintage tartan print metal esky (ice box to the rest of the world) were located and formed part of my plan. The esky was cleaned up and the lid restored and repainted. It was then secure to my boot floor using a factory threaded hole and is now utilized as my tool box!
The suit case then came into the plan….. the internals of the case were measured and a custom 18mm MDF box was constructed to house a 12 inch subwoofer and amplifier. This way I can have the best of both worlds as I really don't like the look of audio gear in old cars!!
Many more kms followed this…..time to enjoy the car!!
Early this year, the car made it’s way to the annual “All Japan Day” held in Glenelg South Australia along with it’s RX7 stable mate.
Around 400 Japanese cars made the trip and it was a fantastic day! The highlight for me was watching a Japanese couple have wedding photos taken in and next to my car!!
A chance meeting on the day also had me run into the guy who originally bought the car off it’s first, and now elderly, owner! It was great to find out some more history about the car. Luck must have been on my side, and I found out during our chat that he still was in possession of all of the cars history…
I am now the custodian of all of this documentation which is great!! I have the original owners manual – including the original purchase receipt – the service book – which is filled out the whole way through its life – service receipts, A Goodyear owners club booklet and membership with tyre rotation and wheel alignment history dating back to the early 80’s and a heap of other receipts etc.
I also scored the original tool bag (with all of it’s unused tools) wheel chocks, original Mazda touch up paint and the dealer fitted sunvisor that was removed when the car was repainted!!
Post all of this excitement some more minor stuff has happened. I located a nice set of door handles, cleaned up the insides with a dremel and repainted. This was a part of the car that had been driving me mad as the old handles were quite perished and looked like they had acne!! I also managed to locate a mint passenger front window to replace the scratched one in the car from a local wrecker as well as some other little bits and pieces…
I also came across some original RE12 badges which I have restored to replace the aftermarket repros that I had fitted. The front one was secured to a MINT grille which I scored on eBay. This grille is slightly darker than the original one off the car.
At this point I once again put he car up on stands. I haven’t been happy with the braked since day one, so I started again. Another set of calipers were sourced, rebuilt and, along with new disc rotors and bearings, refitted. The rear also got new cylinders, shoes and the drums machined as they had plenty of meat left in them.
A bit of adjusting and a good bleed and I now have confidence in the car that it will actually stop!! The improvement is fantastic!!
Since then have continued to drive the car whenever I can and joined in a few local cruises
With winter set in over here the car is now sitting in the shed under covers but comes out when the sun is shining!
Plans for now are just to drive it and to continue to enjoy it!!