#
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:51 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: My 1974 929 - New to the garage
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:02 am 

OK, so after a long night in the shed Friday night I managed to put the car back together without scratching the fresh paintwork!! Very happy with the workmanship of the panel shop, great colour match and great service.

So with the car back in one piece, it was time to add a bit of old school. I was a bit unsure of what it would look like…I have seen it done to RX3s and R100s, and loved the look, but hadn't seen it on a RX4 sedan…

Very happy with the finished result. I think the stripes set it off perfectly. 8) I also added a 70's Royal Automobile Association (RAA) member grille badge to complete the 70's theme….

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:14 pm 

Looks perfect :tu:
Love how the stripes pick up the whitewalls

2 x N360 restoration projects

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:13 am 

I like it :tu: 8)

Stripes are not for me but that's why it your car. I can understand the nerves with panel beaters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:55 am 

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. The more I look at the car the more I am loving the stripes!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:12 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Nice. Helps break up the long and wide lower panels on 929/RX-4s.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:32 pm 

Looks great Benn, i guess there arent too many thing to do to it now.

When are you up my way next?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:08 am 

Yeah pretty close to being "done" with the car. Still want to do some work in the engine bay, but really happy with it so far.

Not sure when I am up your way again, but will let you know when I'm heading that way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:50 am 

Looks awesome! Love the stripes. Quite similar really to the red ones I recently applied to my old Trueno...
Congrats on a truly stunning 929!! :D

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 am 

Looks great with the stripes!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:08 am 

Love the Look. can't wait til my Rx2 is 1/10th the caliber of your Rx4. Seeing everyones cars on here keeps giving me hope. i think the Stripe Prefectly accents the Lines of the car. very beautiful. congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:18 am 

Headed out to the recent All Japan Day here in South Australia with the 929….Top day, great cars and excellent turn out….

A couple of the early Mazdas at the event had nice neat tidy engine bays….not trophy winners, but neat tidy bays…this got me to thinking…..

Eventually I would like to do a full engine bay respray, full hidden wiring etc but I decided to do something with what i have….

So here is the end result of a couple of days work….tidied up, removed and rerouted a fair bit of wiring, repaired and resprayed the wrinkled paint on the RHS chassis rail, painted the irons, brackets etc, replaced most engine and accessory bolts with allen key headed bolts and an all round general tidy up….

Pretty happy with the result for very minimal outlay and no longer embarrassed to pop the hood!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:07 am 

looks good Benn. turned out looking good. did you paint the irons while in the car?? changes the look of the bay now all clean :tu: :mrgreen:

i missed All Japan Day this year, had a heap of little issue with the car, oil leaks mostly. but getting them fixed and getting my torsen diff put in in the near future (when i could be FARK doing some work in the shed..... No motivation to do it at the moment) and then get it back out on the road

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:52 am 

Thanks Matt. Yeah I painted it with the engine still in.....masked up the housings, timing cover and bell housing......pulled the plugs, dissy cap, alternator and easily removed bits. Then used plastic drop sheets from bunnings to mask all around down to sump level and cover the entire bay, radiator, windscreen etc.

Had already rubbed the irons back a bit, hit it with some isolator, primer then colour. Happy with the result...so much neater and easier to work on....getting close to being done with the car.....I am sure I will find something else to do though!

Yeah, missed you at AJD. Will have to get it back out on the road soon before winter sets in....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:54 pm 

What a fantastic looking car mate! I've never seen a 929/RX4 with the stripe installed but i can say i'm a huge fan :D

How do you find the power/driveability of the EP? I've only ever owned BP/PP rotaries however for my Capella i'm looking at something a little more... subtle :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:57 am 

Thanks! Yeah I reckon it looks alright.

Having owned BPs before, I must say that I prefer the extend. It is a well built engine with lots of compression and put down a heap more power than my previous BP......and other BPs that I know of. It can cruise without kicking all over the place and doesn't attract unwanted attention. It has a bit of a brap on idle, but nothing like an angry bridge....that is probably the only thing I miss.....

All round flexible engine with plenty of stick, but also happy sitting in traffic and just cruising. If it had air con (and I could afford the fuel bill) you could daily drive it!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:56 am 

Well as always one thing leads to another.....after talking to a couple of RX4 owners about suspension and turn in I have ordered a KMac 24mm castor adjustable sway bar.

The car has never felt great on turn in, probably not helped by skinny wheels and rubber....

So the plan is fit up up the new bar, dial in a heap of castor, set about half a degree negative camber with the adjustable strut tops and a couple of mm of toe out.

Figured if I was replacing the bar, may as well re bush the entire front end, new ball joints, new tie rods etc.

Will post up some pics when I get onto it....

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:12 am 

jdmrx2 wrote:
So the plan is fit up up the new bar, dial in a heap of castor, set about half a degree negative camber with the adjustable strut tops and a couple of mm of toe out.

If this is your goal, then based on all the wheel alignment principles, and alignments I've done and watched along the way, your car will steer like a pig,
give you really heavy steering, and chop the crap out of the inner edges of your tyres.

With my adjustable strut tops I'm running 3.5 degrees of caster, -0.5 degrees of camber and 1mm toe-in. Steering is heavy down low but lightens up at speed.
Tyres are wearing dead square.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:04 am 

Thanks for your feedback. I will have a chat to the aligner and go from there. I am certainly no expert on the matter.

The research I have done indicates that 3 or 3.5 degrees of castor should be ok, -0.5 degrees of negative camber should assist with some steering response and turn in grip without killing the tyres too badly. From what I have read toe in will assist in straight line stability at the expense of turn in response and that a small amount of toe out combined with negative camber will help with camber thrust.

I would like to iron out the cars tendancy to under steer and be a bit sharper on turn in....if only it would handle like my RX7!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:38 am 

The RX7 was made to be a sports car and steers accordingly. Our poor old girls like to go fast given the
motorvation that now resides under their respective bonnets, but really were set up to suit the old VC/MA motors of the day.

Handling comes at the sacrifice of the "old school" look. If you want to make an old car handle, then all front end bushes, ball joints,
tie rod ends, to start. Followed by lowering, spring rates and better shocks, followed by larger lower profile sticky tyres.

It's a real balancing act! :(

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:07 am 

Spot on about the old girls being better to suited the asthmatic piston engines offered in the day....

I am going to use the RX7 as the benchmark and aim for that.....have been eyeing off some 14x7 and 8 Simmons....I am sure they would help as well! The car currently has fairly fresh KYB shocks and kings lowered springs in it as well as the adjustable tops. Hopefully the new additions and a good alignment should help get the result I am after

I am sure this will lead to a re bush of the rear end....the news rear shocks are on the bench already :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next