#
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 52 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: My 1974 929 - New to the garage
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:40 am 
JNC Enthusiast

and not too wide in the front tyres or else they tramline like a pig.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:48 am 

Saw you on the road today, looks brilliant in the sun and out and about :tu:

2 x N360 restoration projects

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:34 am 

Hey Benn, how all the suspension upgrade going ??

on my setup i am running about the same as you are proposing but about 2mm toe in on the front, this is due to not have some RCA (roll centre adjusters) (AKA bump steer correctors) as i found mine was over steering to a degree when on hard lock and going over a bump. make sure your aligner test this by pulling down on the front end and see where the toe gets to under load. mine came back to about 0mm

my car is in so many pieces at the moment, engine out and fixing some small oil leaks, diff is next on the list, keen to get out after winter for some catch up and cruising :D

Matt

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:44 am 

bennyd wrote:
Saw you on the road today, looks brilliant in the sun and out and about :tu:

Cheers :tu: I got it out for the first time in about a month for a rotor cruise up to Strathalbyn. Was a great turnout of old schoolers

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:53 am 

Fat 4 RE wrote:
Hey Benn, how all the suspension upgrade going ??

on my setup i am running about the same as you are proposing but about 2mm toe in on the front, this is due to not have some RCA (roll centre adjusters) (AKA bump steer correctors) as i found mine was over steering to a degree when on hard lock and going over a bump. make sure your aligner test this by pulling down on the front end and see where the toe gets to under load. mine came back to about 0mm

my car is in so many pieces at the moment, engine out and fixing some small oil leaks, diff is next on the list, keen to get out after winter for some catch up and cruising :D

Matt

Hey Matt, I am just waiting on KMac to send my bar....apparently they have a bit of backlog.....

Have new ball joints, tie rods, bushes etc all lined up ready to go. Would have been nice to have had it all in for the weekend as we went on some winding great roads, but was a good drive regardless. Hoping to pull it all apart in the next couple of weeks and get it done and aligned. I want it back on the road pretty quick as I am really enjoying driving it....and the rotary scene in SA seems to have come back to life!

Will be good to have yours back out and amongst it!!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:40 pm 

SA home of the brave. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:03 am 

Time for an update...

I have been stockpiling some bits to do an upgrade on the suspension....so finally got around to putting it all in throughout the weekend and last week.

First up replaced all the leaf spring bushes with urethane ones. Superpro bushes in the front spring eye and shackle and Nolathane in the rear spring eye....went this option as Nolathane do not make the front and shackle bushes....

Greased all these up and then fitted some new rear shocks....just need to change the diff oil now and rear is complete.

Then turned to the front.....pulled the whole front end out and replaced the lot. New ball joints (pressed in for me by the boys at Madaz mechanical) painted up the lower control arms while I was at it. Installed Nolathane bushes into arms too.

Then new inner and outer tie rod ends, and fitted up my new 24mm adjustable KMac sway bar with Nolathane mount and bar to control arm bushes.

Once all back together, I shot the car into Light wheel alignment in the city for setup. Car feels a heap nicer to drive already.....haven't had a chance to head to the hills yet to see what sort of difference this setup has made to turn in and bump steer yet though.

Speaking of the hills, also purchased a set of 16X7 rims to increase the grip levels. Fitted these up with a fresh set of Kumhos....unfortunately the rims look way better on the other car, so have been relegated to permanent RX7 duty...will do a quick update on that car as well....

While the car was up in the air at home, drained the box and filled with some fresh VMX 80. Hopefully that helps the cold shift in this thing....

Apart from that have done some more work around detail on the car...bit more tidying in the engine bay, had a paintless dent guy come out and work some magic on the car, modified a set of kick panels that I bought to house some front speakers so I didn't have to hack the car to get some decent tunes. This way I can just put the old kick panels back in if I ever decide to.

Now Just waiting for Spring to come around so I can rack up some miles in it and enjoy the new suspension!

Also a quick idle vid of it sitting in my shed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxESY2dc0ns

Last edited by jdmrx2 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:49 am 

nice one Benn money well spent in the suspension, makes a huge difference in the long run... Now some 7in front and 8 in back rim and your done. those ROH (ZS?) are not for rx4's that's for sure, other better options out there

I finally got off my ass and got some work done on mine, new torson diff all installed, fixed some oil leaks and some other small things. Spring is coming soon and i need to drive the old girl again.. so keen to get out a few time in the sun on some nice windy roads with ya mate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:01 am 

Hey Matt, was reading the update on yours last night.....kind of made me realise I should do an update on mine....

Have decided to stick with the hubbies on mine....they suit it too well....only other thing I would go with would be white V4s ....maybe if a nice set popped up I might grab them......otherwise hubbies it is!

Definately looking forward to some cruises when the weather gets better!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:00 am 

Nice one buddy, such a cool looking rig this one. Keep the hubbies just get a second set of 626 13's or if you have plenty widen a set of standard steelies and run some good rubber, pop off the hubbies on fun days and have that 70's racer look on fat black 13" steelies?! Don't remind us how quick spring and summer is coming I need to get cracking so I can join in the fun! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:16 am 

Thanks Ben. That reminds me....I must get off my butt and come see the progress on yours!

Not a bad idea with the steelies.....I have another set of RX4 rims at home...maybe I should get a set widened out to 7 and 8 and run centre caps and trims on them in charcoal grey....with some big rubber on them....

Hmmm....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:02 pm 

yeah once i saw you were keeping the steelies i was going to say just get a set widened but beans161 beat me to it . it will improve the handling just having the wider rims but retain the retro look

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 52 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3