Since the forum crash a few weeks ago, I have noticed that my thread has vanished....so here is a new one.....I have included updates thus far as well.
Prior to the departure of my coupe, I started looking around at what I would replace it with if I decided to sell. After a bit of research I had my heart set on an FD RX7....after looking at a few examples and a couple of test drives I was set to sell my coupe and buy an FD......or so I thought.....
My coupe went up for sale and subsequently sold very quickly......and I had my eye on a very tidy Montego blue FD that was a local car......and then this came up for grabs.....
So here it is...my 1974 Mazda 929!
A quick rundown of the car as purchased:
’74 929 flat front sedan rebuilt to RX4 spec
Fresh 13B Extend port – RX4 housings, 12A irons – all new parts and seals used in rebuild
48IDA Weber and K&N filter – Facet lift pump, surge tank, Carter main pump, 3/8 fuel lines
Thick wall full twin system, 2 resonators, exhaust merges over diff into rotaflow muffler
Custom alloy radiator and oil cooler (seriously HUGE) 16 inch thermo fan and braided lines
Rebuilt RX7 5 speed, heavy duty clutch, reconditioned tailshaft, rebuilt diff
Resprayed in a slightly different tint of factory Mazda blue, new glass, rubbers and clips
Original interior with new carpet and seat belts, RX4 Dash cluster
Overall very happy with my new toy!! The car is a credit to it’s previous owner.
But as with all my projects it quickly developed a “To do” list!
So far I have made a few changes to the car, mostly around detail.
First up was a major detail clean – inside, outside, underneath and places never seen!!
The interior was first as the white vinyl was quite grubby. Meguiars leather and vinyl cleaner (an entire bottle!!) followed by 2 liberal treatments of Meguiars leather treatment had it looking like new again. The dash and everything else also copped a good clean. I have also fitted my MOMO Sistema steering wheel, a new yellow and black gear knob and some autometer gauges to keep an eye on things. All door trims were removed and the doors treated with fish oil. To complete the Grandpa look I have decked out the back seat with a tartan rug which belonged to my recently deceased Grandfather.
The exterior copped a thorough clean with most bits like tail lights, grille etc all removed for a detail clean. After that it got a few paint chip touch ups, all stainless and chrome polished, paint polished followed by 2 coats of wax. Some new badges were fitted at reassembly time including the RE12 badges as well as a set of RX4 badges for the rear quarters. I also rubbed back and resprayed the pillar between the windows on the back doors in charcoal grey as well as the rear quarter vents. Whilst they were apart, I removed the remnants of old resin in the vent badges as well as the resin in the grille badge and rotor shaped boot lock cover. These all then got new resin put in and put back on the car. Having never done this before, I am quite happy with the result!
The engine bay has had a fair bit of wiring removed and the remainder tidied up for a neater appearance. I also rewired the coils. Some new blue leads and separators, radiator cap, oil filler cap, dissy cap, rotor button and a few other bits have also been done. Future plans include a complete rewire of the engine bay, hiding as much as possible. I also gave the oil cooler a coat or two of satin black as I didn’t like how obvious it was from the front.
A bit of surface rust was found in the spare tyre well, so it was rubbed back, treated, primed and resprayed. The car still has an original 175SR13 whitewall spare tyre, mint boot mat and jack installed. The rear quarters were fish oiled.
New tyres have been fitted as the old ones were showing signs of cracking on the sidewalls...Fitted a set of Kumhos, as I have never had a bad set of these.....unfortunately a few minutes after picking the car up I was overtaken by one of my hubcaps.....which rolled into the intersection and got run over!! Luckily I found a MINT pair on ebay and replaced the missing one...also have a spare now. I also got new whitewalls done as it didn’t look quite right without them.
There is a stack more, but I won’t bore you with every minor detail. I will let the pics do the talking..
Rockin' the 7 in a street near you.....