#
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: 1979 Honda Prelude
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:19 am 

As my first true post here on JNC that isn't the intro post, I figured I'd post the reason why I joined. I recently purchased a 1979 Honda Prelude from the original owner. The car has 108k miles, all the original paper work, and even the dealer plate frames from the dealership it was originally purchased from, Walnut Creek Honda in California.

My priority is to stop the few areas of surface rust from spreading, retune the carb since it's running a bit rich and idling a bit high, and then do a period correct resto-mod.

What I'd change to aftermarket would be 80's bucket seats (more than likely Recaro), a Weber carb, some kind of non-OEM exhaust, and I'd try to get some kind of coilovers to fit which is going to require a lot of fab work.

This isn't a project I look to finish in a month or two, but something over the next few years. Only the rust prevention is going to happen ASAP. Anyway, enough talk, here's some photos.

The day I picked her up:

And from a photo shoot I did a day or two later:

Last edited by Braulio_SN on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 1979 Honda Prelude
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:18 pm 

Braulio, I just commented on your picture on the Facebook G1 Preludes page. Its good to see another Vintage Honda fan on JNC

80 Mazda RX-7 10th Anniversary Edition- 30,000 original miles, for sale. PM me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:39 am 

Congratulations.
Obviously they are prone to rust under the windscreen trims, especially if the windscreen has ever been replaced & scratched the paint!
Might be worth checking under the wiper motor as well judging by one of mine. Have to attack around the wipers again on mine as rust must also have got between the outer panel & & wiper pivot mount as well.
I do like those early styled steel wheels & chrome caps; '81/2 had a different design.
Thought early VW Golf frt coilovers might be worth a look as the Prelude seemed to copy the top mount concept, adoption of 4x100 stud pattern, & the use wheel bolts rather than nuts, unlike other Honda before or after.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:54 am 

Very cool! 8)
I've always admired these 1st gen. Preludes.

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:01 pm 

Thanks guys :D
The cover for the wiper motors will be either repaired or replaced since the previous owner said it had rust and that's why he painted it black. I'll have to inspect it further. I've already inspected around the window by the trim and I haven't noticed anything concerning. Looks all nice and silver. I'll have to check if it has the original window or not.

Right now I have to deal with a firing timing issue and idle speed issue. Just a bit of tuning, nothing major.
However, my radiator fans don't seem to turn on so that's a big issue I'm focusing on right now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:04 am 

Thermo-switch for the fan(s) located at the bottom of the radiator is a common item to fail eventually. Easy enough to replace.
If you connect the two wires connecting to it together the fans will run whenever the ignition is on ensuring things won't overheat in the meantime..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:35 pm 

Haven't checked this post in awhile so here's a long winded update (with some photos :D )

Got the thermoswitch working after sourcing an NOS part, did a full radiator flush, and completely redid all the vacuum hoses. Car runs way better than the day I brought her home although I still have a few hiccups I need to solve before going for my SMOG check (which I'm already behind on :| ) Been doing a lot of restoration work and general cleaning. Cleared off 35 years worth of road grime, dirt, grease, etc. and got into polishing some bits around the car.

After cleaning the wheel well. Struts will be changed out for BC Racing coilovers soon.

An example of my polishing.

And finally, just an updated pic of her rolling around town.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:02 pm 

She looks thoroughly delicious! :wink:
I hope you don't modify her too much - I personally love the simple OEM look of her as she is now...

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]