#
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:35 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mazda Carol 360: Journey of a Lifetime!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:43 am 

Wow, 108hp in that car should be a blast! Really like where you are going with this. Great work!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:27 pm 

Well in the states we only got the 1nrfe IQ motor with the CVT gearbox.. -___-
I gaurantee the engine wouldnt go cheap and i would have to import all of the harnesses and ECU
Horrid nightmare..
Rather build a simple adapter plate.
I am quite surprised on the room in the engine bay. My mini was a b.tch to cram the honda motor in.
I even considered the R18a from the late model civic, the 1zzfe from the corolla, and the k20a3 from the low model RSX.
Still hesitating on those options...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:41 pm 

its a start!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:50 pm 

You could always keep it in the family and go for the 1.5L out of the Mazda2? Maybe one of their older engines from an earlier Protege...? If you want to go crazy, there's always the 1.8L and AWD system from the early 90's 323! ;)

Looks great so far! Please tell me you're intending to keep it street legal! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:06 pm 

Darkstrike,
Eh.. the mazda motors listed are heavy and/or junk. The awd setup... running a drive shaft from the rear engine to the front?
A real pain in the azz.. Also.. remember this thing is super tiny. Size of a subaru 360 and if you have never seen the footprint of one of those then lets say much smaller than a festiva!
Ya.. i am making it street legal. Only way to go!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:54 pm 

Haha, I was pretty much kidding about the AWD, but you'd have to admit it would probably be fun :P

As for the Mazda motors, I wasn't aware they were less desirable (I've never really looked at detailed stats for them other than some of the horsepower figures though). I've never seen any Kei in person other than sporadic trucks and vans around here in Nova Scotia. Very few people import the keis from Japan here aside from the trucks and most JDM imports here are things like newer Skylines, etc. I'm aware the Carol is mighty small! :P

Would the Yaris motor you mentioned fit in terms of measurements? It seems to be a good choice otherwise, they're certainly plentiful and 108hp in a Carol certainly wouldn't make it a slouch...

What about the 1.5L L15A w/117hp from a Honda Fit? I would think it would be about the same size, plus a tad more power. You've probably already considered it though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:23 pm 

As for AWD.. it is very possible. Believe it or not.. So.. i have the gearbox from a toyota IQ with the EE65 housing. The EE65 is the same as the EC65 but the axles are on the other side.. The Verso model in UK has an awd output shalf that bolts to the EC65 housing. I bet i could bolt it to the EE65 housing and still run in the correct direction .
As for the l15A it only has 108 HP as well or 109 either or.. THe L15A7 has 118 hp but is JDM only and you cant seem to find those too often in the states : (
And the l15a weighs around 30lbs more than a 1nzfe engine.
If i did find it.. id prob go that way cause wiring a honda is way easier than a toyota engine. Also tuning is easier.

I also found a way to bump the HP by around 15whp with an Intake swap. Doesn't throw any check engine lights and still get a 2400lb yaris 38mpg!
But that is for later consideration..
Will it fit? I believe its not going to take too much of a problem. I have a 2009 yaris and have been looking at the engine over and over. Measurement after measurement.... I think it will be a pretty simple shoe horn situation.
Tonight I was tinkering with the flares and im afraid i gotta add 1/2" to the flares width.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:09 am 

I decided that i need to maximize room for the passenger and driver's feet.
Chopped the inner fenders and removed 1.5" of metal. This may not seem like a lot.. but it is in a carol!
Here is what I have done so far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:57 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I came looking for progress... Any? Neko.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:56 pm 

O.. i got progress. i just kinda stopped taking pix : (
I'll see what i can get up soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:11 am 

I got some crappy pix off of my phone. Hopefully these will satisfy some of your guy's interest : )

The front frame is 95% done

Here is the new front floor plan and gas tank cabin (the metal box in the floor pan)
Remember shiny metal is ugly in photos and deceiving : P

Here is an over head view of where the gas tank will reside. The tank will be installed from the bottom up and allow access to the fuel pump from the top.
Right now im surfing endlessly looking for an engine : (

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:38 am 

Have you yet finalized the engine you're thinking of going with? Looks great so far!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:39 pm 

That is one of the coolest, most adorable little JNCs I have ever seen! I love the body lines of this car, especially the roof and rear glass.

Very cool project. Props to your fabrication skills.

I was surprised to read about an engine from a car being considered!

Reading the first page of the thread, I was certain you would have chosen something like a big motorcycle engine. A Hayabusa engine or similar. Powerful, light, compact. Too noisy? Have to rev it too much?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:25 pm 

A motorbike engine would be great, however...(and keep in mind I'm not a motorcycle guy, lol), don't high-end bike motors require a lot more regular maintenance? In something this small and lightweight, even a small "normal" engine from a "normal" car would be pretty zippy.

Another issue with the motorbike engine would be that it would be a bit more complicated to fab. linkage for it as the controls weren't designed to be "car-like."

Longlivekel could prob manage it though, I agree with Matches, some pretty awesome fab. work so far, keep it up! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:15 pm 

The torque curve and drivability of a small car engine will be terrific in the little Carol. At 108hp from a Yaris engine like the O.P. was thinking of, that's what, more than 3x the power of the orignal? Will be hella fast for sure.

BIke engines are smaller, lighter, and make more power though.

I've had bikes, and many friends as well. No extraordinary maintenance. Also, all the controls are easy. The clutch in bikes is so small and light that they use cables. The throttle can be operated either by linkage or cable.

There are motorcycle engines in other small cars like Austin Minis. Check them out on YouTube!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:20 am 

Hey guys!
Thanks for the comments.
I am very familiar with big engine small car setups and forums. I have a SOHC Vtec mini that is dynoed at 125 whp.
I feel that this is a good neighborhood for these small cars. There is many big headaches of putting a motorcycle engine in a small car. The maintenance is high, the noise level is high, the mpg is not that good etc. etc.. It almost pushes the driver to use it as a track car only.
Even as light as 1100lbs a high performance bike motor will face weak points. I know one guy that gripes bout checking everything every 1000 miles cause things just wear out fast.
I am looking at the 1nzfe toyota engine with 108hp (stock engine is 18HP) and i might have a solution on adding a good 20 WHP on it without having to tune it : )
That is one thing i hated doing in the mini, tuning it.. So I am going to try to run it on its stock OBD2 computer.
I am having a horrible time finding an engine. There is zero engines in Kansas city and all JDM places want to bend me over on shipping.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:57 pm 

I am corrected regarding a motorcycle engine in a car! I didn't think about how much the weight of the car would affect the engine.

Can't wait to see more updates on this project!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:12 am 

Went to the junk yard and pulled a dash harness from a 2001 toyota echo. Too bad the engine harness couldnt go with it. THe car was hit pretty hard and i couldn't fish out the harness :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 pm 

Look at what arrived : )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:56 am 

Nice! Got a tranny too?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next