#
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mazda Carol 360: Journey of a Lifetime!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:29 am 

ToyGuy:
First page and near the bottom. I have a 6spd gearbox from a german toyota iq.

Restoremaz:
I have always said "To each their own" :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:29 am 

[quote="longlivekel"]ToyGuy:
First page and near the bottom. I have a 6spd gearbox from a german toyota iq.

Thanks. Somehow I missed or forgot that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:19 am 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:51 pm 

I know its been a while guys. I have been fighting several things. Adapter plate ideas, axle research etc.. etc..

Here is a few pix for ya guys

Had to make a custom mockup of an axle so i can see wha tmy clearance will be near the oil filter mount. THis will allow me to rotate the gearbox a little and make an alignment mark for when i make the adapter plate.

As you can see.. cutting it close....

Working on a new custom steering rack mount.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 am 
JNC Enthusiast

This will be awesome when fitted. Looking forward to seeing how you make it work.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:37 am 

I finally got everything needed for the machine shop. They will be making me an intermediate shaft. After I get this made I will be able to get my adapter plate on its way -____________-
everything is at stand still and slow....
I can't stand waiting!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:54 pm 

Anyone ever make a gas tank?
It is a fun challenge that I am enjoying!!
Not only does it have to be removable without disturbing everything but has to fit around the steering rack , steering rack brace, and subframe.
Challenge.. ACCEPTED!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:25 am 

Hey Guys,
Unfortunately no pix, but maybe tonight.
I chopped out the battery tray in the front trunk. I bought a performance MG Midget radiator and am going to custom make the trunk floor so I can fit the radiator.
Good Ol Dave got my watanabes in the mail as well. These will either be legendary on my Carol or possibly my mini : )

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:03 pm 

Hey Guys,
I have some updates.
I got my radiator that will be used in the swap. It is a dual core race radiator for an MG midget. The volume is 1.5 times the amount that is in a stock Yaris radiator. I then tried to see if it would fit in the front. The answer to that is no.
I had to then chop the front shelf panel out. Unfortunately this wasn't enough room for my setup. I had to then chop the horizontal brace beam out and redesign it. The radiator fan was hitting the beam and the condenser had lack of room as well. Yes I said condenser.... I will be installing A/c in it. One of very few old Kei cars with a/c :)
I then needed a little bit more room so I separated the front panel and pushed it outwards by 1/2" and welded a panel in place.
Tonight I sat down and started to make a new replacement panel that will provide enough room for the radiator/fan/condenser. I made panel to where it will be above the old defrost louvers. This will help me keep the radiator away from the ground and allow a little more fresh air flow. Later on down the road will be the front chin spoiler and this will have a mouth in it for rest of the condenser/radiator.

One more update.....
Thursday i received my 6x12 watanabe rims!!! WOOHOO!!! Thank you DAVE!!!
Originally the USPS carrier didn't have them on their truck so they just lied and said i wasn't there to sign for them. The delivery stated that i have a package but they couldn't find it. So they lied.... Our mail lady is a real POS. She has done worse to my mail.. But anywhoo.. I called usps and they werent sure where the package was or where it was going to end up in the evening. They suggested that i went to all 4 local postal offices near me and have the hold the package. This made me a little angry but off i went.
I got to end of our street and I stopped a mail courier in my path. Long story short. The guy said he had my packages and wasn't sure why they were on his truck!! WOOHOO!!
Threw them in my car and off to open them in the garage. I ended up taking one to work the next day so i can admire them when I had spare time : )

Pix:
Small panel that pushed the front panel outwards:

Relocated horizontal beam. Swapped over from 1.25" round tubing to 1x1.5 rectangle. This helped tremendously. As you can see i had to do some very odd panel making. I have to make sure that the upper control arm can properly support the force of handling.

Over head shot of the radiator location

New front shelf panel

Duh Rim!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:13 am 

Small update.
Yesterday I finished that panel and it is now welded in : )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:48 pm 

$14 can of paint strip
$1 +/- .25 gasoline
$3 dollars in water
=
CLEAN WATS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:06 pm 

I went to the machine shop this week and picked up my intermediate shaft that they custom made. One side scion IQ and the other side Suzuki Aerio: )
After getting that aligned I made a location mark on both on both the engine and transmission.
I failed to mention, I had a custom alignment tool made that aligned the clutch spline shaft with the crank shaft.

I then cut a hole inside the center of a piece of 1/4" plexiglass. I then removed 3/16 of the material around the center hole. This is because the crankshaft end sits a little higher than the engine's mounting surface.
In this pic the engine was sat on its end and this made it easier for me to place the transmission on it. Before placing the transmission on top, I traced the engine mounting surface with one color of marker and used a different color on the transmission side.
Here I removed some of the excess material and it is held in place onto the transmission.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:11 pm 

longlivekel wrote:
$14 can of paint strip
$1 +/- .25 gasoline
$3 dollars in water
=
CLEAN WATS!

So you just put them in a trash bag with this cocktail and it strips everything off? Lots of scrubbing loose paint after, or it all came off in "the wash"?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:57 am 

I got really good at stripping paint cause of this project.
Most pour out paint strippers have wax in them. Dunno why but they do. Anyway.. You get a sh.t brush and you brush the paint stripper in one direction and with only one brush stroke. Do not go over the same stroke or you stir up that wax and it cakes over the paint stripper chemical and prevents from working accordingly.
It is best to do this in a shaded area and when you are done brushing it on, you either put it in a plastic bag or cover it with one. This is to encapsulate the gasses that are being produced. If it gasses off then the paint stripper dries up and stops working. So 10 mins later i took them out of their body bags and power washed them. It took off around 99 percent of the paint.
While doing the other 2 rims i just put touch up gel on the spots that didnt come off and the second shot took them right off.
I suggest buying por15 paint stripper. I bought some after i did these wheels but it has a consistency of water and you can spray it on with a squeeze bottle! Much easier than smearing pudding.

If the paint is thick or pretty durable.. it is best to score it a little with some 80 grit. When you make these cuts with the grit it helps the paint penetrate and help lift the paint.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:29 pm 

longlivekel wrote:
10 mins later i took them out of their body bags and power washed them. It took off around 99 percent of the paint.

Awesome! Thanks. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:16 pm 

First time I've checked into this thread in awhile....looking great!!! Can't wait to see the final product! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 am 

Darkstrike-
Been a while for me as well! haha
I need to update this with pix cause you know I have gotten some progress done.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:00 am 

Looking forward to the update! :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:19 pm 

Hey Guys,
I know I haven't been updating this lately, but don't worry cause I am always working on it.
The adapter plate allowed me to jump to the rear of the car. I am making the structure a solid integrated unibody frame. I started at the rear and remade the previous structure with a little thicker rectangle tubing for structure and worked forward. After finding the points for my upper control arms I created a structure for the trans/engine to mount to. The trans mount is from an acura integra. Cheap and simple bolt pattern. I had to make an adapter so i can use the integra mount on the IQ gearbox. I left the frame in two pieces so i can get it where I need to and then weld it solid after everything is arranged accordingly.
I was the able to start on the control arm for the next step. I am using classic mini cooper hubs in the rear so i can run small 12" wheels with disk brakes. I chopped off the end of a lower control arm and welded my own custom upper arm. I had to make custom bungs out of solid round rod. I drilled and tapped them to fit the heim rods.

Here are some pix:
Adapter for the trans mount

trans mount in action:

motor mount in action:

rear frame structure before it goes in permanently

Mock up of the upper control arms

Custom tapped bungs for the front upper arms

Demo of bung insertion:

Bung welded in place:

Upper front arm:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:33 pm 

Looking awesome man! So, if it's an IQ gearbox, I'm assuming it's a CVT 'box, is it? I don't think they ever sold standard-shift IQs over here, if memory serves...?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next