#
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: Finally have a REAL nostalic car: My 1971 Mazda 1200 Truck
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:11 am 

Picked this up yesterday from Columbia, Tennessee, just southwest of Nashville.

From the bits I've read, this truck should be a 'Deluxe', since it has the radio and cig lighter, and not sure what else.

Had this thing start up and run for a few seconds pouring gas into the carb - the mechanical fuel pump is bad and I'll be wiring in a 1st gen 626 electric pump that my brother is giving me. I will then focus on everything necessary to get this back on the road, before doing body work, mainly the front end where which the sheet metal and bumper are properly effed up from the guy I bought it from not realizing that it has no brake fluid and thus inop brakes, as he rolled it down a hill into his storage space, ramming into a Ranger transmission before using the wall to stop it. :/ No frame damage but it's gonna be difficult to find parts for this thing. Eventually I want to do a fully restore but with my other projects and life, that's years away. Luckily with a little work I will have a useable 'survivor' truck.

So thrilled to have found it and been able to pick it up! I've never seen another for sale in the US, only one for sale in Japan on Goo-net.com (it's been on there forever).

Stay tuned for updates and I will also have lots of questions for you guys. lol
-Ryan

Far from the road: 1971 Mazda 1200 Truck

Last edited by MazKid on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Finally have a REAL nostalic car: My 1972 Mazda 1200 Tru
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:52 am 

Hi Ryan!

Congratulations on the 1200 pickup find! Super rare in the U.S. as it was only imported for one year. I'm thinking it is a 1971 since the B1600 came out in 1972. Check the build date in the door jamb. The 1200 pickup has the dubious destination of being the cheapest Mazda ever imported to the U.S., $1745. Parts can be found in Australia as they were imported there until 1976 in pretty good numbers. The truck is quite a bit smaller than the B1600/Ford Courier which I'm sure you know. The 1200 was part of the "Familia" series of cars/trucks which is why it has an "F" on the horn button. Good Find!

Here is a scan of the U.S. brochure for inspiration on your resto.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:03 pm 

Should've kept this more up to date... but here's what I've been doing on it.

The first thing I did was order a pair of brand new door seals, off of eBay, from Thailand. I installed them right after opening the box - removing the old seals was a chore as they had adhered to the pinch weld and were petrified, so it made a huge mess and I had to scrape bits off. The new seals are so robust that it created another problem - the doors take a huge amount of force to fully latch, and the driver's door will no longer open with the outside button - instead I have to push the outside button then pull the interior handle. Quirky, but I can deal with it til I take the door panel off and see what's going on with the latch.

Next, I put the truck on jack stands and removed the wheels then the brake drums. No issues aside from the rear drums, 1 screw was previously rounded out but didn't take much effort with a GrabIt bit I got from work... then I had to hammer the wheel studs straight since they were pushed outward by a previous owner to fit the wrong lug pattern wheels on. :/

Then came a bit of a debate... since finding 5X110 wheels to fit this thing is nearly impossible without going custom aftermarket, I wanted to change it to 5X114.3. Re-drill the drums and axles? Re-drill a set of wheels? Then the easiest and least expensive way hit me - wheel adapters. Yeah, not a fan of spacers, but it just works the best in this situation, and is one thing out of the way of getting this truck back on the road. So first I positioned those Toyota 14" wheels that came with the truck at the end of the wheel studs, an inch, to simulate the spacers, to see if it would cause any obvious problems. If anything, it looks better. lol

Ordered them, came in a few days later.

Decided to throw one on and test-fit one of my spare '03 Protege5 polished wheels, for a laugh. Most likely won't be using them ever on the truck.

I then put brake fluid in it and pumped the brakes to see if/where it was leaking from. Right rear wheel cylinder, left cup popped out. Seal is destroyed. Also noticed that the driver's front, one cylinder wasn't working. Came to my senses and have decided to rebuild or replace ALL 6 wheel cylinders, just to take any potential issue away. I soaked all of the brake line fittings and mounting nuts with PB Blaster over the next week, and started removing them tonight. Rears are off, fronts aren't - I neglected to soak the adjuster stud nuts and couldn't get the one I tried to remove, to break free. Instead of potentially rounding the nuts or breaking the studs, I'll let them sit.

So that's where I am on it. On the 'to do' list:
1. Wheel cylinders - rebuild or replace
2. Front wheel bearings
3. Clutch master cylinder - leak from rod to pedal
4. Fuel pump - bypass with electric pump
5. Drain old gas from tank
6. Wheels and tires - obtain tires for the 14" Toyota steelies or install my set of RX-7 Convertible BBS 15"s/tires, if they fit okay.

Stay tuned for more!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:49 pm 

Sweet ute mate , I like how its in your lounge :lol: did it come through those french doors?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:31 am 

What a great find!! This would be the second 1200 I've seen in the US. There's one in the L.A. area. AWESOME!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:25 am 

Thanks guys!

There's another one on Mazdas247 forum but the last post about it was years ago and it was really rusty.

And yeah, it's skinny enough to fit through the doors with them open... When I moved into this house(my first, BTW), it had a sliding door. I stuck my '88 323 GT turbo down there(there's a thread here about that car, but I've since sold it to a friend) but removing and reinstalling the doors was such a pain that I decided to install French doors instead. After getting the 323 out of there I parked my Miata in there from December to March. I have a better living room upstairs directly above this, so using this as car storage is great. Lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:21 pm 

I swear I updated this thread since the last post, maybe that was lost when the forum went down again?

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I ordered wheel cylinder rebuild kits, bore is 13/16 and I found that the '94+ B-2300 has the same bore, so I ordered/received 4 kits from RockAuto. Still have to hone them and reassemble... I also 'tested' the mechanical fuel pump - hose into a gas can and tried to start it - it didn't start but like an idiot I disconnected the hose from the pump before removing it from the can and it siphoned fuel all over the floor, so it's creating suction/pumping. Thinking the no-run issue is the carb - I have zero experience with carbs so my dad will save the day with his knowledge.

The next thing I tried to do was to find replacement wheel studs. These studs are M10X1.25 - the only cars in the US using M10 studs(mainstream and available parts-wise) were '89-'94ish Geo Metro/Chevy Sprint, and the studs they use are far too short. There's a set on eBay Australia, but shipping is a killer - it would be $80 for wheel studs and nuts - and also since I'm using wheel adapters and want to use this as a truck, it'd be better to use M12 wheel studs for added strength and a better fit on the adapters... kinda put that on the back-burner momentarily...

Last weekend I did an oil change on this thing, which doesn't sound like anything to post about, but I think the oil filter was put on back when Carter was president. I couldn't get it off by hand. I couldn't get it off by sticking a screw driver through it and turning it - it tore both puncture holes wide open. I had to use a prybar between the intake runners and chisel the filter where it meets the block to break it free. The oil that came out of the pan was red(the guy I bought it from works for Amsoil so I'm sure that was some kind of specialty oil he put in it), the oil from the filter was black, and the port was full of sludge - it's obvious that someone in the past couldn't get the filter off and just kept changing oil.

Also drained the fuel tank which luckily had barely anything in it.

Thursday I ordered the front inner and outer wheel bearings, wheel seals, fuel filter, air filter, 20 M12 wheel studs and nuts. Since RockAuto does not list the 1200 truck, only the 1200 car, I grabbed part numbers from my microfiche for the bearings and seals and surprisingly they came up on RockAuto - 1 number as input/output shaft bearings and the other as wheel bearings. The wheel seals also came up. Fuel filter and oil filter would be the same as the car so that was simple. For the wheel studs, stock ones are 44mm length - I went to DormanProduct's website and typed in that as the length but the M12s that came up had 'weird' knurl dimensions so I went with 45mm - which comes up as '89-'05 Mistubishi stuff as well as a few others - the Mitsu ones had decent knurl size so I chose them, and the nuts are open end 'for' a first gen MPV.

Received the bearings and seals this morning - of course there is an issue. The outer bearings are matching Beck/Arnley which is fine, but the inners, one is Napa/SKF and one is Beck/Arnley - slightly different inner races but the B/A is missing the outer race! Called up RockAuto, had to explain that their site doesn't list the truck, only the car, and gave them the OEM part number. The guy was super nice, apologized for the issue, and is sending me 2 matching bearings first thing Monday! I don't even have to send anything back.

Wheel studs won't be here til Monday at the earliest. Progress is slow but it's getting there. I have a goal to drive the truck on my b-day, the 27th, but I'd really like to have it on the road by next Saturday for a car meet. We'll see how this plays out!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:15 pm 

Cool truck, cant wait to see it finished!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:49 pm 

Thanks! I'm anxious to get it on the road and use it as a truck as well as taking it to meets/shows. :)

Post subject: Re: Finally have a REAL nostalic car: My 1971 Mazda 1200 Tru
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:51 pm 

Any updates on this truck? I love it! :tu: By the way if you ever want to sell please let me know first! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:35 pm 

Thanks!

A little update:
Last Saturday I replaced the fuel hose from the hard line to the pump, with a new fuel filter - came out just right of course, no biggie there but another necessity done.

Got another Beck/Arnley bearing from RockAuto and this one too is missing the outside race. The guy at RockAuto said that they get the pics of the parts from the manufacturers and that they are of the actual part - which shows the outer race but apparently it's not included, so they refunded my money for that bearing and I had to order the SKF... which I received yesterday.

The other day my dad and I started drilling the drums - rears weren't a problem obviously, fronts were a bit tricky. We tried over-engineering them by drilling them just big enough for the threaded part of the stud to fit through then bigger for the splines, the depth of the splines(I can't help but call them splines - I know they're serrations) - but we got it wrong and pulling the first stud through it got hung up and stretched out - luckily, O'Reilly's carries these studs in stock. We then drilled them to the spline diameter... but decided to call it quits for the night.

Haven't worked on it since. I now have all of the bearings, studs, and lug nuts... just waiting on my dad to have some time to work on it. I just don't have the tools necessary to get more done on my own. My goal won't be met but it wouldn't be good to rush it... so I just have to be patient. lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:10 am 

Try heating the door rubbers with mild heat like a hair dryer or a heat gun on a low setting... It will help them to seat properly :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:30 pm 

I am sooooo SOOOOOO screwed. My dad and I were pressing 2nd wheel stud into one of the front drums today, and cracked it.

I doubt I can find another.
I don't know if something from another car will work.
I don't know what to do.
I don't know who to be mad at except myself because it was my idea to use the press that way.

Any assistance is appreciated. I'm at a loss and would like to crawl into bed only waking up when a UPS driver delivers this brake drum made out of (fragile) unobtainium. :/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:44 am 

Oh that sucks :oops: what if you get complete shock towers from a 79-85 RX-7 and convert it to disc?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:51 am 

I have a plan. If I can't find a drum, my brother has a full RX-7 front suspension setup. I did find that the inner wheel bearings are the same from the 1200 truck and the RX-7, so that gives me some hope that I can use the RX-7 hubs on the 1200 spindles, then it just comes down to brake spacing and caliper brackets. He also has the RX-7 rear axle, so I can have matching 4 lug and use the set of 'plus' RX-7 13" wheels that he has that are in very good condition - and I'd rather run 13" wheels over 14", given stock size was 12".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:52 pm 

Kool good luck I think it should work with very little modification. Then while you are there go for the full rotary swap :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:36 pm 

great little truck...you should be able to fix the drum issue with a little perserverence. Mazda was kind to us in that a lot of the parts work together nicely from different models/ years etc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:11 am 

Thats an awesome lil truck! love lil mazda trucks. i had a b2200 for a while. (not a classic i know lol) but that lil truck towed my FC around to local drift events even though she was gutless..... kinda sad i sold her....

annnywho! b.o.s. Very nice looking truck. and the wheel adaptors aren't bad. specially since they are bolt on. i've been running my "Spacers" for a while and never had a single concern.

whats the plans for ride height? Stock? Slammed? Static Lowered? i'm curious ^_^

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:45 am 

Can't use the adapters anymore. That was a chunk of change I'll never see again.

Truck will be stock suspension, to be used as a truck. lol Everyone keeps telling me to slam it or bag it or whatever, and that is not what I want to do with it.

Currently I have thrown this truck on the back-burner - my dad and I pulled the bad engine out of my $800 RX-8 on Sunday and are swapping everything onto the 'new' Renesis and hopefully getting it in the car this weekend. I have a tendency of jumping from project to project when things aren't going right with the one I'm working on, in hopes that the one I jump to will be easier to complete. LOL

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]