#
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: 1st gen RX-7 question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:31 am 

I have a first generation RX-7 and the driver's side window doesn't close properly. The regulator goes up and down smoothly, but the aft portion of the window tends to slide out of the track as the window closes. The back end of the window reaches the top of the frame before the front of the window leaving a gap. If you pull up on the front portion of the window while you're turning the window crank it will close properly. We removed the window regulator and it doesn't appear to be bent, so we tighetened up all of the connectors and put it back together. There's now a smaller gap.....

I'd really prefer not to have to spend $134 on a new window regulator. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can adjust my current one to make it work properly? I have to show ID in order to drive onto the complex where I work so not using the window isn't an option.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: 1st gen RX-7 question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:43 pm 

did you check the two plastic rollers on the regulator that connect to the bracket that is attached to the glass? they wear out of round in the grove . Another problem is no window channel in the doors (the rubber and felt runner ) good luck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:55 am 

I went through this same issue last year. Look at Chapter 14 of the Mazda FSM. You can download a copy of the 1980 and 1985 RX-7 at http://www.foxed.ca

There are three bolts attached to the regulator. It's hard to describe the position without a picture, forum won't let me upload an image larger than 800x800. There are a pair side by side left of center on the driver's side, and one close to the front edge of the door below the height of the window winder. When you loosen them, the pair of bolts shift vertically and the single one shifts left and right. Those three bolts move very little, but they make a big difference. Loosen either the pair or the single one, move them a little, tighten, and then roll the window up and down.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:41 pm 

check the rubber channel. inside the door. if they get warped like mine they will pop the window out. and get stuck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:46 pm 

Rotor_venom08 wrote:
check the rubber channel. inside the door. if they get warped like mine they will pop the window out. and get stuck

That is exactly what was happening with mine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:15 pm 

It's popping out of the channel on the back. When we took it apart it didn't look distorted, but it's definately not right.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take another look at it and see if that will fix it.

I'll let you know if it works!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]