#
It is currently Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:32 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: My "Poo Poo Brown" 82 Mazda 626
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:06 pm 

I usually just lurk on here drooling over cool old stuff, but I figured it was time to post up my 82 mazda 626.

I was maybe 19 years old when I got my first car It was an 81 626 with rust everywhere. I had that car for over 2 years and always wanted to put a 12a in it but it was not meant to be. The car got sold off and replaced with an 81 626 coupe that I did indeed put a 12a in. I was young...I went through cheap jap classics with reckless abandonmemt...corollas, rx7's, datsuns...you name it. Never did I think at 40years old I would pine for my first 626 sedan again. What made it worse is that I could find listings for RX3's, RX2's and the like, but soon discovered a RWD 626 was a seriously difficult car to come by. When I did find one it was always in Washington state, or California. Too far away to be worth shipping. :?

I never gave up. I would frequent SearchTempest on the reg. Low and behold one day I find this clean example in Quakerstown PA. I don't even think I read the whole ad before I was dialing the phone number. It was a 4 hr drive and I was there the next day at 9am. The seller mentioned something about coolant shooting out of the overflow...blah blah blah...five minutes and a thousand dollars later the car was mine.

The car was as rust free as can be. I mean how could this be? Back when I was 19 they were loaded with rust. What was even funnier is the car was originally out of Minnesota!

The interior has got a bit of sun damage on the door card tops and dash and rear parcel shelf. All very repairable. Car is all original, with power steering, power windows, sunroof, and a/c...nothing like a 626 I have ever owned.

Post subject: Re: My "Poo Poo Brown" 82 Mazda 626
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:21 pm 

I was really excited to have this car but it came at the worst possible time. I was in the middle of building a daily driver for myself as well as putting my 79 rx7 together and those projects had to be completed before I could entertain playing with the 626.

It was soon determined that the 626 had a blown head gasket. I guess its a pretty common fault with these. I have just about all the bits to put a 13b 6 port in the car, but I wanted to drive the car sooner than later so it was decided I would sort out the head. Besides with 45k on the clock, I figured this engine had some life left in it yet. The car came with an extensive service history, and showed a cylinder head rebuild back in 09. Mileage however was not indicated. From the looks of it I didn't feel like it had been done many miles ago.
I proceeded to remove the head. I also determined at this time to strip the vehicle of all the bulky US emissions...air pump, egr system, etc. I wanted to do this mostly out of cleaning up and simplifying the engine bay. By the end of the day this is what I had.

it was an extensive pile...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:35 pm 

Now it was time to investigate. It wasn't before long that the culprit was found.

In addition, the previous repair was botched badly. The dowels on the rocker assembly were never seated correctly and got crushed.

The car sat this way for a little bit as life got in the way. All the while gathering the bits to do the repair. The head was sent to the machine shop to be decked and checked for cracks. A gasket set ordered as well as new dowels which were actually still available from Mazda.

Before long it was time to put the car back together... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:42 pm 

Little by little...

and finally running again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26xxcX20Dgw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:46 pm 

Its a nice driving car. I would love to find some headers to replace that exhaust manifold and will convert to a electric fan in the summer. Other than a non working choke on the carb, the car runs like a dream. Plans are to lower it and install some wheels, tint the windows and enjoy!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:18 pm 

I love these, glad to see you're bringing it back to life!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:59 pm 

Nice to see another 626!

1980 mazda 626 build viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21748

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]