#
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: B1600 Can't quite figure out what to do with it.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 pm 

Hi Mazda lovers. The other day I was driving my bus on my route and I saw this pickup pull around a corner and up the street in front of me with a FOR SALE sign in the window. Well me being me and being on the look out for an old Japanese car decided at that second that I had to own it. As soon as my light turned green I tried to catch up with it. I never did, but luckily it was listed on craigslist. Now, a week later, here I am - proud owner of a 1973 Mazda B1600. I've never owned a vintage Mazda before. I did once own a used '90 or '91 626 that went through two transmissions in the couple months that I owned it and I swore up and down that was the last Mazda I would ever own. Well, let's give it another go.

I can't wait to get started on this thing. Trouble is, I'm not sure what direction I want to take it. I could leave it pretty much as is (although I do want to get all the rust out of it and replace the pans in the cab). I could attempt to restore it (but how much $$ do I want to put into this). Or do some sort of odd-ball customization with it. Hopefully by the time the snow falls I will figure out what I want to do. But until then, I am going to replace the brake master cylinder and drive it around town and see what it needs and what it doesn't.

Very excited to be back in a vintage Japanese car. Been missing them since I sold my Landcruiser a few years back.

Post subject: Re: B1600 Can't quite figure out what to do with it.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:27 am 

Congratulations on your purchase!! Post up some pics so we can see it. I am sure you will get some ideas from some members.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:18 pm 

Without seeing a pic, I'll say just lower it until its at a comfortable but good looking height, maybe some white walls and your good to go for a few months while you decide what direction to take. Looking forward to pics. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:23 pm 

There is a lot you can do to a B1600 and they are really popular here in NZ. Some possible mods are:
If it is still original engine and column change you can sawp it out for the Mazda 2l and 5 speed ditching the column change and making it a floor shifter. This is a popular mod for those people that drive them regualry. Or you can put a Rotary in it. Both these options will give it a bit more Umph.
Then I would lower it a bit and either go for vintage mags, or widen the original wheels, go for some hub caps then white wall them for total awesomeness.

Or drive it as it is!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:33 pm 

lol you could go the way i went with my mazda repu and drop in a V8 people will hate you but you will deffinitly enjoy your toy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:34 pm 

Kiwi, I've noticed these little guys are quite popular in NZ. Seems whenever I pull up photos from one of the internet they seem to come from there. Here I've seen far more Ford Couriers than these (occasionally I would see a REPU) but now those days seem gone. I hardly ever even see the Couriers anymore.

It's nice though that this forum exists with all these cars and trucks I remember as a kid. I am trying to post a couple photos of my pickup but I must be doing something wrong. Noob.

One of these days I'll get some pictures posted for y'all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:41 am 

El_Cochino wrote:
Kiwi, I've noticed these little guys are quite popular in NZ. Seems whenever I pull up photos from one of the internet they seem to come from there. Here I've seen far more Ford Couriers than these (occasionally I would see a REPU) but now those days seem gone. I hardly ever even see the Couriers anymore.

It's nice though that this forum exists with all these cars and trucks I remember as a kid. I am trying to post a couple photos of my pickup but I must be doing something wrong. Noob.

One of these days I'll get some pictures posted for y'all.

Contact me through PM and I'll happily post the pictures for you.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]