#
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:38 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 90 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Series 2 RX7 - my new toy!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:52 am 

Put some new rear tyres on the old girl this week and sorted out a spare tyre that holds air.

Picked up my new plugs, new custom made top gun ignition leads (in red), a new ignition switch and wiring and a new rear uni joint today.

Tomorrows plan is to change plugs and leads, put in new ignition switch and finally fit my new door rubbers.

Going to change the gear box oil and fit a new rear uni next week as I am on holidays so will be able to use my brother in laws hoist.

Apart from that, the only thing on my list is to fix the tear in the drivers seat on the side bolster and then pretty much leave her alone for a while......

May start accumulating bits like new shocks, a few more bushes and maybe some lowered springs.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:03 am 

Fitted the new ignition switch as well as new BR8ET Ngk plugs and my leads. Forgot to order proper seperators for them, so they are now on their way.

Fitted up the new door rubbers....WOW what a difference!! So much quiter on the road with the windows up, and I can now actually wash the car without saturating the front seats!!! Much better. Money well spent. :D

Traced the oil leak, front oil cooler hose is weeping so will have to get some new ones made up soon.

Gave her a wash today and a quick coat of wax. Got a compliment about the wheels today, guy didn't believe me that they are factory rims....

Some pics post wash....she is starting to look really nice nowadays..... for a 30 year old......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:00 am 

Well holidays are over and I never got to do the gear box oil or the uni joint.....will have to get it done in the next couple of weeks ready for the upcoming rotor cruise....

Did manage to get a couple of things done in between paving the back yard.

I pulled the rubber / plastic front spoiler apron off, gave it a good rub back and tidy up, primed and painted it in sunrise red. As expected it had a fair bit of paint missing in places and a couple of gouges from 30 years of use, but tidied up nicely!! Refitted it and actually bolted it back up using ALL the bolts holes and it actually sits a whole lot straighter too!! Someone must have got lazy when either removing it or the the undertray and only put back a couple of the bolts.

Also rubbed back and repainted the headlight surrounds, grille, caps that attach the gas struts to the hatch etc in satin black and the side mirrors, hatch hinges etc in gloss black.

Pulled some non factory wiring out of the engine bay, tidied up some black tape on the wiring, rubbed back and repainted the panel between the nose cone and the radiator in gloss black and gave the radiator a "dulux" refresh. Looks much neater in there now...... :D

Also attacked the factory steering wheel that had a heap of chips / scratches in the spokes. Gave it a good rub back and clean and hit it with satin black.

Factory wheel will go back in soon, but I must admit that I have been enjoying driving the car with the MOMO Sistema wheel out of my RX2. Don't know if it actually suits the car, but has a great feel and is the perfect size for the 7.

Oil cooler lines planned for this weekend, as well as putting the mirrors and steering wheel back on.

Got my agreement in the mail this week for my new plates, but have to wait until Xmas to put them on the car as the wife got them for me for Xmas.....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:36 am 

Spent a few hours this morning working on the 7 again. Put it up on the hoist at my Brother in Law's workshop. Drained and changed the gearbox oil, my bro in law fitted a new rear uni, and gave the underside a good check over and cleanup. Pleasantly no rust, no dents in the floor, nothing of concern at all.

Greased up the other uni's while we were there. The new uni has made a HUGE diference, no more clunking on decel which is great.

Also fitted up my new oil cooler lines, so now no oil leaks at all. Car now has fresh fluids throughout. Not sure if it is psychological or not, but the car seems to drive so much nicer / quieter with new fluids in the box and diff. :D

Did a bit of tidying in the engine bay, just neatening bits and getting rid of non factory or un-needed crap.

Fitted up my lead seperators as well.

Engine bay looking OK now.

Also refitted mirrors and steering wheel post resto and repaint.

Lastly, to signify the RX7's racing pedigree, I have added an Allan Moffat signature decal to the glove box. Canadian-turned-Australian Allan Moffat pedalled an RX7 to win the 1983 Australian Touring Car Championship and also placed second at the James Hardie 1000 (Bathurst), the closest a Mazda has come to winning the great race.

So car is "good to go" for a big rotary cruise in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!! :D

Now just need to get the tear in the seat fixed and then time to enjoy for a while as I plan my attack on the suspension department..... :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:06 am 

8) looking tuff. Cant wait until the rx2 gets the treatment!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:16 am 

Nothing major to update....car is still not leaking oil which is exciting....

Xmas present from the wife came early....... :D

Original SA plates....didn't think they would be available....gotta be lucky sometimes!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:35 pm 

Clean RX-7's really do it for me! I'm jealous.

I'm really tempted to keep my wheels, just to have the excuse "I need to buy an RX-7 to fit them onto".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:15 pm 

Haha, yeah I would hang on to them for that "rainy day". Hard to find in 110 pattern. RX7s are easy to find........

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:20 am 
Mild Cam

This is looking better by the hour! It looks like a fresh resto, not at all like a daily cruiser... 8)

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:04 pm 

Hi jdmrx2,
It's good to see another clean stock firstgen out on the roads, keep up the great work on the seven and also you're rx2!
Many thanks for all the detail in your threads it provides many tips that have been very useful on my series3 and rx2 sedan.
Look forward to seeing future progress.
Cheers
OKR-612

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:48 pm 

OKR-612 wrote:
Hi jdmrx2,
It's good to see another clean stock firstgen out on the roads, keep up the great work on the seven and also you're rx2!
Many thanks for all the detail in your threads it provides many tips that have been very useful on my series3 and rx2 sedan.
Look forward to seeing future progress.
Cheers
OKR-612

Thanks for the kind words mate!! I am trying to refrain and keep the 7 as stock as possible.....would love to put a big bridgy in it....but it is such a nice car to drive as it is and gets a lot of comments on how tidy it is

Planning on getting back into the 2 in about 12 months....home stretch......repaint and re-assemble.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:09 am 

No worries mate. I know what you mean, I had to refrain too. By not modifying it though it made me realise how good rx7's are standard, if a bit slow.

Do you mostly get comments from older people? Most I get are.

Great to hear about the rx2, I cant wait for the day where, like you I'm sure I have to decide which mazda to take out :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:33 am 

OKR-612 wrote:
No worries mate. I know what you mean, I had to refrain too. By not modifying it though it made me realise how good rx7's are standard, if a bit slow.

Do you mostly get comments from older people? Most I get are.

Great to hear about the rx2, I cant wait for the day where, like you I'm sure I have to decide which mazda to take out :D

Yeah mainly older people saying how nice it is or they knew someone that bought one new.....I have also had a lot of young chicks go nuts over it which is pretty funny. I had a young chick tell me that it was the sexiest thing she had ever seen!!

Definitely looking forward to the day that I have to choose which Mazda to drive. I have never driven my RX2, so the first drive with the bridgeport cranking will be awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:09 am 

jdmrx2 wrote:
first drive with the bridgeport cranking will be awesome!

8) brap.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:59 am 

Straight up :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:16 pm 

jdmrx2 wrote:
Definitely looking forward to the day that I have to choose which Mazda to drive. I have never driven my RX2, so the first drive with the bridgeport cranking will be awesome!

Us car people are a funny lot. Most would test drive their car before buying, but we instead buy the car anyway, broken and all, get it towed to our garage and spend lots of money and time on it before we ever drive it. It only took me 18 months from tow truck to first drive, you've been waiting a bit longer...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:41 am 

Took the 7 out today for the SA Rotors Birthday cruise. It was the longest trip I have taken it on and the weather was HOT!! Was worried about all the unknowns.....will it overheat up through the hills....will it sit on 120 km/h comfortably....how will I keep up with all these 13B turbos....

Car didn't miss a beat, ran perfectly all day and didn't get hot. Was a blast through the twisty bits and relaxed on the highway....

Some pics....

Check out the genuine RX3 Savanna GT second car over from mine...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:54 am 

:tu: was a good turn out. Nice to put a face to the name and cars. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 pm 

Yeh likewise! It was good to put a face to the 12A turbo wagon!!

Great turn out, with a good variety of rotors on the day. Met a heap of top people and had a blast.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:37 am 

Minor update, but an update none the less.....

Fitted up some new weather strip rubbers as the old ones were cracked and hard.

Also got my drivers seat back from the trimmers today. I got the RHS of the drivers seat refoamed, retrimmed and the piping redone. Came up an absolute treat. The vinyl is slightly redder than the rest of the trim due to age, but is barely noticeable. Very happy with the result and same day service!! Will definitely be getting these guys to do the trim in my RX2.

Now looking at tracking down some mint tail lights then maybe suspension.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 90 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next