#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: mazda rx2 front suspension ?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:43 am 

well i pulled all my suspension off the front of my 1973 mazda rx2 and i found that one of my tociko shocks was bent (shock rod )im using mazda fb front struts and re speed coil overs.Im re-doing the front end: respeed tubular control arms +1" longer with miata ball joints ,respeed camber plates and bump steer spacers,I will use the coil overs i already have . my question is should i shorten my struts (fb) to the sane length as the original rx2 length or leave them rx7 fb length?the spring rate is 200 and the car is moderately lowered (performance low not dumped in the weeds low). Its a turbo car so not much more weight in the engine bay compared to stock . Not to be rude but I would like to find a solid answer not an opinion ,and what supports your answer .Or have you had this problem yourself . Suspension is a serious thing and I just want it right . Unfortunately a lot of people cheap out they're suspension by not using all the parts needed . They want a "sporty look" but dont want to pay for it ,I will buy or fabricate what i need and just want it right .thanks Matt

Post subject: Re: mazda rx2 front suspension ?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:14 pm 

I have the exact same setup you have. Whats your question?

I'm using Re-speed lower control arms with Miata ball joint, FB spindles/shock tubes, Re-speed "race" coilover kit, RX2 upper camber plates, 1" bump steer spacers.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... pic037.jpg

I haven't driven with this setup yet, but are you suggesting the shock bottems out and caused yours to bend? Because mine seems to have lots of travel, I wouldnt be able to bottem my shock out if I tried.

1972 Mazda 616
1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:49 pm 

thats odd ,my springs are shorter and my welded collars are 4" from the top of the shock body . I did find that i had no bump stops.My question is why did I bend a shock rod ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:01 am 

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I welded my collars really low on the shock tube so I can go very low, also in that picture my springs are 8in tall if I remember right. so they dont come close to the camber plate as it sits in that pic. If I fully compress the shock up until the swaybar/caster bar binds up the springs still arent touching the camber plate haha. Once the springs are threaded all the way to the top the car sits at a good ride height.

I seem to have LOTS of shock travel, so I dont think your botteming out the shock at all. Maybe you bounced off a pot hole really hard or curbed it recently? Thats the only way I could see bending the shock.

1972 Mazda 616
1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:06 am 

Oh also I'm wondering what sort of camber you have with the FB spindles and camber plates?

Again, my car is still on jackstands and I dont seem to have any camber at all...alomst positive camber actually. Which sucks cause I'm running massive rims up front and I'm going to need to run -3 or more to make them fit.

Heres what I did:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... pic032.jpg

Heres my rim test fit:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... pic025.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... pic023.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh19 ... pic022.jpg

I roughly measured -3 camber in that picture and where I re-drilled the camber plates.

1972 Mazda 616
1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:24 pm 

if you want you should be able to put "Ground Control"( thats the brand) camber,caster plates in . I have a set I can check if they fit the rx2 strut tower .they are 4 hole and use a 1086 tociko strut .I don't want to modify my strut towers so i went with the re speed camber plates . Also the racing beat caster correction plates can be turned to give you camber ,but it will be fixed. Are those rx2 struts they look like it.I have a lot of different front end parts for rx so if you need any parts or help give me a holler .I remember hitting a massive pot hole so you are probably right on that part. Thanks for all the pics they are very helpful.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]