Some of you may have seen this car build on ausrotary, but i thought id post it as well here for all genuine Jcar fans,
I have a 1971 rx2 coupe t-dash, it’s been a major project that has been running for almost 3 years now, I have had some ups and downs with the car but I haven’t given up on it.
Always liked rx2s and after a brief stint in a ratty series 3, I knew I wanted to one day restore one.
So I originally purchased this car in July 2008; the owner he had plans to turn it in a NC race car. He had it sandblasted and ready to seam weld/ panel repair.
As you can see from the pictures it had it the usual problems but overall it wasn’t that bad.
So I brought it, but I was not quite sure of what I was getting myself into!
And slowly worked my way to pay for rust repairs and respray.
Pre sand blasting pics,
Post sandblasting pics
showing the worst areas
Somehow managed to hunt down someone in melbourne who had a intact whole original flat boot section off to replace mine, the Car was in a front end crash, so he angled grinded his rear end up as a replacement for mine.
So I collected a lot of parts during the 2008 to 2011 period, restored some bits (some of which are still going) grew more confident and learned more and more about cars, looking back I realised I knew so little.
(on a side note i went to Japan during that period, holy cow that place is amazing!)
Got in touch with the very kind Jason Humble of NC historic racing in early 09 and managed to score his old race 12a twin dizzy engine plus some other neat gear, thanks Jason!
By then the project started taking direction, I realised I pretty much wanted an NC race car for the street, having a period correct look with good quality equipment.
So the last few months I have been inspired and motivated again to work on the car now the panel work has finally finished.
Here it is resprayed in original WP nova white, the weekend I got it back, washed it out, and cavity waxed all critical areas.
So anyway, here is the equipment list I have collected so far:
12a twin dizzy Bridgeport race engine:
• SCR apex seals/springs
• 3mm RX7 rotors
• Under drive pulley
• Handmade locked twin distributor (electronic with Mazda modules)
• Bosh MEC717 Coils
• Billet aluminium flywheel with spray on steel surface
• Custom made 8.5” clutch/pressure plate
• 48 Ida Weber carburettor with extended fuel bowl
12a twin dizzy gearbox;
• Rx2 Twin dizzy bell housing and rebuilt starter motor
• Rebuilt gearbox with Rx4 ratio set installed
• Custom made short shifter
Diff & Wheels;
• 4.375 final ratio diff
• Rebuilt Mazda 24 spline 2 way LSD
• 13” 6.5J front/ 13” 7J Watanabe wheels (4x110)!!
• 205/60r13 Toyo Proxes r888 semi slicks
Supension & Brakes
• Powder coated front suspension assembly rebuilt with superpro bushes and 555 gear
• Front and rear coilover setup
• Volvo rebuilt callipers/vented rotors for front with axle stiffening spacers
• Bump steer spacers
• Brand new NTN wheel bearings all round
Still a heap of parts to be bought as the project comes along but it’s a good start.