#
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:00 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 12 of 12   [ 239 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Building my rx3 and housing it..
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:48 am 

I too like the idea of the stipe, one idea pops to mind is that lower mazda decal that gets used alot these days with the rotary symbol on it. But instead of doing the decals in white as it would be loud on the blue, I'm thinking it could buying/making a negative and spraying on that plasydip or what ever the shits called on (peel off liquid sticker shit) and do it in black and because its transparent it would look like a shadow giving it a slightly darker blue/however many coats ya do. Would break up the paint and be nice and subtle not over powering like white would be, same with the upper stripe.

If it looked shit, peel off 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:12 am 

Buzz3n wrote:
This looks fucking awesome man! Makes me wanna add my fender mirrors when I get home.

Ps this builds taking ages, put the clutch in and change into 5th gear already :lol:

Yeah it is taking a while huh, but when your just an average joe building from pay packet to pay packet I feel like I'm going as fast as I can afford. :?

I like the stripe idea, cheers :tu: thanks for the positive comments from everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:26 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I'd probably do the stripes in a dulled down red. Personally I wouldn't bother with fitting lower stripes, I think they look odd on 4 doors but that's my taste.

So what's holding you firing it up ? The engine, box and radiator are in , wiring looks mostly done. Looks like a weekends worth of work. If you went for a concrete back yard painted green imagine all the extra time you'd have saved, low maintenance as well :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:49 pm 

Cheers Guys, basically the hold up is a lack of immediately available funding, but that said I have a pretty lengthy list of little jobs to get done prior to a test fire however things are happening and the car is looking more finished than ever.

No lower stripe I'm not into them on a wagon. If I do one at all it will be like factory or just a smaller/thinner version of a factory stripe. My thoughts were a light silver or white for the stripe as I want the body to look as close to original as possible.

Received a call and went to collect my diff. Stoked on the finished product. One note to add, after trial fitting I will rotate the calliper from the 10o'clock position to the 2 o'clock position to allow for easier hand brake cable fitment and clearance.

As previously mentioned its a R31 shkyline/borg warner with slotted discs
mazda 4x110 stud pattern and shortened to the standard 808/rx3 wagon length. Kaaz 2 way LSD 4:11 centre. Enough chatter roll out the pics

I had to make a small spacer for the Leaf locating pin as it too tall for the diff feet. Once installed you would barely notice what I did.

Stoked to see the wags on its feet again, yes this was just for the pic and to check clearances but a great moment in the build to see it starting to take shape.

Major items stopping a test start is fuel system, more on this soon. Oh and an exhaust. Engine bay requires a few things ie wire up starter, coil packs, alternator, plugs and fittings for wiring looms and clutch hydraulic lines and new injectors that have a resistance of 8ohms or over to be combatible with my Haltech sprint RE rather than run external resistance. Tail shaft is another of those oh yeah need that too. It feels close then when you look close there is a bit to do.

other things to do, brake lines, fitting brake bias adjuster and line lock solenoid to rear brake line. 8) Test wiring and looms, fit head and tail lights and test etc

apart from that its then onto the interior and final chroming of bumpers and a few tid bits. When I sat down to write a to do list I hit a page full easy but allot are small jobs that can be done in one hit when in action. My sights are set for a summer test run but not going to stress if I don't make it. Locally we have a All Japan Day and I'd love to make an appearance at the next one in my car rather than just spectating. Thats the goal set.. lets see how I go. :shock:

Missing: 1 x 808/Rx3 wagon petrol flap complete (no lock req.) If you know of one please let me know! It appears I no longer have one or misplaced mine. yet to be confirmed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:10 am 

man, limited slip and discs... mmmmm thats gonna lead to some fun! looking good!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:01 am 

89Rotary wrote:
man, limited slip and discs... mmmmm thats gonna lead to some fun! looking good!

Cheers :tu: the aim for the diff, suspension and brakes was a good strong reliable combo. I'm pretty happy so far.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:12 am 

Update: Rear Shocks arrived and finally installed. According to the workshop manager that supplied them they were a tricky find but in the end I am very happy they did the ground work and found a suitable replacement. I managed to end up with adjustable koni's all round rather than mix match.
You will notice the difference in size compared to the ones that were in it.

Prepping for install. the top plates go on then they bolt to the chassis too easy! 5 to 10 mins to install but takes 15 to 20 when you going slow trying not to scratch or dent or damage stuff. 8)
rear end is coming together now. looks fat.

If you have a keen eye you would notice no fuel tank. I dropped it out for the first time ever! it had roughly 9 litres of 5-7 year old stale fuel in it. it was relatively clean above the tank which is a further reminder of how the car was treated through its life which to me was pretty good!

top of the tank foam is still white! and under the rear floor is dust and dirt free looks like new. I then gave it two coats of satin black paint like the rest of the under body as seen above.

I will have allot more on the fuel tank and system when it is in my hands so I can supply pics but for now its being made and basically its a custom tank with pumps and surge tank mounted internally. This means although new it doesn't require the all to common surge tank in the tailgate area etc keeping the whole setup allot neater and user friendly. :tu:
Cheers.

Last edited by beans161 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:50 am 

:tu:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:23 am 

Cheers Mo! I've been meaning to ask you if you had an 808 wags fuel door/flap and for a couple of odd old rx hubbies for my shed wall as I saw your post selling a few sets. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:34 am 

that diff looks horn under there! will the break upgrade be able to retain the stock 13s? or will they now not clear the discs? what did the upgrade set you back if you don't mind me asking?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:06 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I've looked into brake upgrades using the stock 13" wheels. It basically can't be done because the inner diameter of the stock wheels step down to something like 10 inches. Any 1/2 decent caliper won't fit. The old single piston Camira caliper conversion may fit but I said decent (and worthwhile). The word decent and Camira can't be used in the same sentence in a positive way ! The other issue which gets most by surprise is the space between the lower control arm and the brake rotor. If you move the rotor too far inboard to clear the where the wheel steps down in diameter then the rotor will hit the lower control arm as it goes through it's dampening cycle. The old Volvo Girling vented 4 piston caliper conversion will fit under 13" wheels but you need to use mag wheels with a square inner profile.

Now I do know a fabrication shop that did make a conversion for a customer using Volvo 4 piston brakes to fit under standard steel Rx3 wheels. The comprise I believe was to machine the rotor diameter down to fit within the rim, significantly grind the lower control arm casting where the ball joint is pressed in to clear the rotor, and due to the calipers working with rotors that are machined down in size to clear the inner rim, the brake pads over hang the rotors. I think they also had to grind the outer casting of the calipers. Due to all the compromises not worth the effort if you ask me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:49 pm 

Buzz3n wrote:
that diff looks horn under there! will the break upgrade be able to retain the stock 13s? or will they now not clear the discs? what did the upgrade set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers! Welcome back to oz? I'm pretty stoked with it I must say. A diff conversion is relatively cheap for the improvements gained. The killer is the centre, yes a reconditioned Borg Warner centre from a SS commodore is an easy option to keep costs down. I went KAAZ 2 way LSD which bumped the price significantly. hit me with a pm for more details :wink:

Brakes: oh brakes. You could talk for days on these things as John mentioned above. I gather you mean the rear discs? The fronts are 300mm rotors so nope not on the front, I cant even fit my 15" van steelies on the front! Rears are r31 standard size not sure of diameter at this stage (stud pattern changed to 4x110 of course) so maybe a 14" rim minimum but not sure what fits. I have only had the rims on there but I have a set of 15" E series van front rims to run as stockies on the rear. Everyone has an idea or opinion on brakes. My biggest concern was retaining the original track width front and back. Something not allot of modified mazda owners achieve or care about.

Way way way back when I planned to go a full s2 rx7 disc brake swap as they come standard with 4x110, 13" rims and 4 wheel discs with the fronts vented. So basically if you want a strong diff with small rims then the rx7 rear disc fitted to a diff of your choice would be best bet in my opinion. The other issue is fitting a disc brake and caliper set up under the rear arches without fouling the chassis rails or anything else as they take up allot more space than the old drums. My diff is standard track width, if I was to think of shortening the diff for wide rims the disc caliper would hit the body unless I modify that too. But that opens up a whole lot more heartache!

Well I guess I might as well do an update while I'm here. :tu:

Lately its all been about the final assembly. have I got four handle, four door lock pull knobs and dress rings to suit. which leads me into this update: Headlights. So wanting to be motivated and use what little time I get to work on the car I dug out all my remaining parts and laid them out to assess my next steps of what do I need to find vs what I have and is it useable or to a standard where with some work will be ok. One box contained all my headlight globes and retainer rings and all my wagon tail lights I have accumulated trying to get a good pair! No easy task I should add. It seems the wagon taillight was in a vulnerable location and very few lived a life without mishap.
It appears I have quite a few sets of tail lights however most are pretty badly cracked.
I have eight headlights or two full sets, or so I thought!
When I checked them I had eight random brand headlights not one matching set.. it didn't end there.. after that little curve ball I picked myself back up and started to check the stainless retaining rings for the head light globes, yep eight of those but..
5 match and 3 don't! On closer inspection they have a small rib line around the edge as seen here

SSSso then I think well gees at least I have a set of four.. but..

The set of five when turned side on also have a rib around the edge on two but nothing on 3 others.
I look again and the set of 5 so I end up with 3-2-3.

What a pickle! no koito globe set of four and no set of matching trim rings.. Do I offer swapsies to get full sets or just hold out hoping to find the ones needed or put them on and know it is a thing that will bug me but not something you would pick unless you were basically licking the front bumper! gawd. :oops:

other than that its just been a case of head down as I try to complete the wiring loom changes in my spare time. Looking forward to the fuel tank as then the car be put on the ground. That will be a tad exciting! cheers! :tu:

chasing these rubber gaskets if anyone can shed some info on if they are available anywhere?

Cheers for the PM Mo will get back to you soon :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:17 am 

If I were you, I'd ditch those sealed beams for semi sealed units. At least then you may be able to see at night, unlike the standard candles.

As for the retaining rings, why not run a matching pair for low beams and a matching pair for high beams? Otherwise I guess you could play swapsies with someone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:22 am 

I've got some Koito's and some spare rings if your interested?
PM sent...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:43 am 

rx7_ben wrote:
If I were you, I'd ditch those sealed beams for semi sealed units. At least then you may be able to see at night, unlike the standard candles.

As for the retaining rings, why not run a matching pair for low beams and a matching pair for high beams? Otherwise I guess you could play swapsies with someone.

Cheers! But original globes for me. I did think exactly the same thing as I have a set if four where the face of the rings match it's just the side that differ. I'm probably just being a tad anal over something quite minor. The fact I have mix matched sets is further evidence that my poor ol beast has come together from a collection of parts accumulated at different times over ten years.

I guess my reasons for that update was to see if anyone else running twin globes has noticed these slight differences and if they corrected it or just rolled with what they had. ??

RacerX wrote:
I've got some Koito's and some spare rings if your interested?
PM sent...

I'm interested to see what you have for sure and I really appreciate the kind gesture. Will be in touch via pm. :tu:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:26 am 

Nice work

I just pick 4 off the best I had. If you need some let us know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:35 am 

hey man if racerX don't have what ya need i have 5-10 i think in the shed you can go through to find ones that you need

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:25 pm 

Fat 4 RE wrote:
hey man if racerX don't have what ya need i have 5-10 i think in the shed you can go through to find ones that you need

You guys are legends, cheers. :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:42 am 

Update: I've been doing my best to get back amongst the local rotary scene without actually having one on the road :mrgreen: Good way to get my motivation up! Need to follow up the generous offers I received and try sort my headlight issue so I can get them fitted then get onto Mo regarding the petrol flap, then chase up my side stripe decal amongst other little follow up tasks.

Recently I went to the start point of a local cruise called brap to birdwood a mazda spin on the annual bay to birdwood. Bay to birdwood is acruise for old cars ending at the national motor museum. there was a great turnout I didn't paparaz the whole pack but here are a few of the ones I liked. A shout out to a couple local lads. Apparently there was around 60 Mazda's and I even saw my old 929L still getting around, albeit with some very average body work to the rear. :cry: Anyhow on with the pics.

I then attended a wedding, bonus was the Groom was a mazda nut, and he lined up a couple local cars. turns out I knew the lad who runs the white rx3/808 sedan. Well prepped and a nice car I must say.

So anyhow I got back to my car, started doing the interior refit and checks. Very happy with the result of the pressure pack vinyl die. I started dummy fitting the rx3 wagon tailgate trims and counting parts out and checking for missing screws etc some will disagree with what I'm doing but I never wanted to pull out the original glued in interior trim around the tailgate area. This was all in great condition just needed a freshen up and my patterned/decorated trims added where the plain 808 ones once were.

I have settled on a black interior as I plan to have a jdm styled cobra front seat. here is a pic of the look I want with eyelets in the black vinyl and a pic of the style seat. Bonus is I can get them brand new locally with rails so it helps with keeping it easy to engineer as I'm not trying to retrofit seat from another period car.

now that life has settled back into a new norm I am happy to get back into the build, hope to get a few odd jobs ticked off in coming days/weeks.

Cheers. :tu:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 12 of 12   [ 239 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12