#
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: My 1971 Mazda 1500 Deluxe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:54 am 

Hi Guys,
I figure it's about time I put up some photos of my 1500 project I've been tinkering with for the last few years. It is a proper DIY job, I've done pretty much everything myself, with the help of a few mates and my father in law.

The car I've done actually started as a parts car for an earlier 1500 I wanted to restore but as I disassembled it, the body was straighter and had a lot less rust than the first one so I changed plans.

After doing a bit of light bodywork over the course of a few months I took a couple of days of work and set about painting the car. I chose a solid Mazda white called Marble White that some Mx-5s and special edition Rx-8s came out in.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I used PPG acrylic paint as I was painting at home in the shed and had never actually painted a car before. I'm glad I used acrylic because I either had the gun set wrong or I'm actually pretty sure I used the wrong type of thinners. In any case, the car came out with a whole lot of orange peel in the paint resulting in many weeks of sanding and buffing to get a reasonable finish. In between all this I dyed the seats black, put in new carpet and underlay, sourced some RX-5 wheels and got them powdercoated black, had the clutch and brake master cylinders rebuilt and had a crack at rebuilding a 2ltr MA to put in it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The motor won't be a full on powerhouse but should be a nice torquey cruiser of an engine, I balanced the pistons/rods and had a mate port match the head/manifolds as well as picking up a 270/110deg billet "tow" cam off of e-bay together with an electronic dizzy. I've made an experimental "stealth" Nikki carby by rebuilding the original 1500 carby with a kit, while swapping the jets and chokes from the MA 2ltr carby. The 1500 Nikki is a lot tidier looking without all the ancillary hoses and cannisters of the MA model. Not sure if it will work but if it does it should be a sweet little set up. I've also got a side draft weber manifold to suit but I kind of like the factoryish look of the air filter assembly and want to try not to raise any red flags when it comes time to register the car.

After putting some of the jewellery back on the car and sorting out the ancillaries for the motor I am almost there, got to sort out some electrical gremlins like headlights not working, hook up the windscreen washer bottle, repaint the fuel flap and then get it running. The motor is turning over nicely but there is no spark coming from the coil lead so I either need to learn a bit about wiring electronic ignition or maybe get a points dizzy just to get it running. I took it out of the shed for a dust down and some photos the other day, I've still got to machine out the centre of the front wheels also as even though the RX-5 rims are the correct 4x120mm pcd, they dont quite fit over the front hubs properly. Finally I'll give everything a good clean and polish and look at getting it lowered. A lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:18 am 

Fantastic!!!

Very nice job on the restoration. Paint looks great and engine is very tidy indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 am 
Mild Cam

Looks incredible! I could eat off that engine bay. I hope to see some "on teh road" shots soon, nice as it looks in your garden...

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:02 pm 

Great job and really good looking car!! :D

proud owner of 1971 and 1972 Mazda 1500 van/estate and a 1977 Ford Granada 3,0 GL aut. estate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:32 pm 
JNC Fanatic

mate, that is sweet, great job indeed, she's come up a treat!

Just a note on your carby tricks, yes she will go a bit better with the bigger jets but just make to swap the main emulsion tube and jets with their venturi's. these are the main components inside the carby throats.

Another little trick I do, is mechanical secondries. You can wire up the vacuum secondries lever so instead of relying on vacuum to open them(about 10 degrees of throttle butterfly max), you can get the whole 100%, uses more fuel, but great fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:21 am 

Great job mate love the simplicity of these cars... I think you got this from Trav over there in Bulleen maybe? :D

Keep the updates coming :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 pm 

i love these because they look so italian yet are still japanese. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:06 am 

very nice job :tu:

Your engine bay make me regret of abandoning my old engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:57 pm 

Thanks for the kind words fellas!!

The photos probably flatter the paint a bit but I'm still happy with it for a first attempt.

B1500boy, thanks for the tip with the secondaries, it looks like you have had a ton of experience with these motors, do you know much about the electronic distributors for MA's? I 'm not getting any spark from the coil and I need to know if the ignition module is built into the distributor or if it is a separate component I need to aquire. Any ideas would be great.

Mo, you are spot on, i did get the car off Trav, he's a top bloke to deal with and has helped out wherever he can. When she's finally done I'll probably catch him at few cruises again.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]