#
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:32 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: The 1st 13B Rotary 74 RX4 & Last 13B 93 FD-Collection Gr
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:36 pm 
Hello,

I have posted my 74 RX4 Coupe here before. Now my collection has grown. What I did not realize until I was making this post is that I now own two examples of Mazda's first and last 13B Rotary engine models, kind of neet. Mazda's first model to feature the 13B Rotary engine was the 1974 RX4 Coupe and their last was the third generation RX7 known as the FD series and 1993 was the first year of that model in North America. Both are 100% stock low mile unrestored examples and will remain as such being garage queens side by side and only driven on nice sunny days.

1974 RX4 Coupe 13B Rotary (the first 13B model). Carb motor.
100% original and all stock with 33000 original miles-no rebuild
Original paint and interior-nothing has been changed or restored on the car and does not need to be, it is as new (no dash cracks)!

1993 RX7 13B-REW Rotary (the last 13B model). Fuel injected motor with the first sequential twin turbo engine released in North America.
100% original and all stock with 14000 original miles-no rebuild
Original paint and interior-nothing has been changed or restored on the car and does not need to be, it is as new!

Two cars 20 years apart, the first and the last 13B Rotary's.

Thanks for looking

Max G

The 1974 RX4

The 1993 RX7 FD

Again, thanks for looking,

Max G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:41 pm 

Actually Mazda has the 13B-MSP in the RX8, so technically you dont have the first and last

Nice cars tho, FD's are dope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:48 am 
JNC Fanatic

Max, I could look at that Rx-4 all day. They would certainly be two very different cars to drive! I'd still drive the Rx-4 though any day!!

But dude, the 13B RX-8 is all side port and those weird renesis rotors, sorta a different 13B really!

Post subject: 13B-RX8
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:54 am 
Ethereal_510 wrote:
Actually Mazda has the 13B-MSP in the RX8, so technically you dont have the first and last

Hello

I was under the impression that Mazda advertises the RX8 as the first new Rotary in decades. I thought was considered a Renesis Rotary and not a 13B also having changed the displacement from 1.3 to a larger one for the first time since 1974?
As well, sorry not sure I understood what you meant by the FD being "dope". Is that a good opionion or negative? Maybe I should have posted and included myself as the third in my growing vintage collection.

Regards

Max

Post subject: Very Different
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:52 am 
B1500boy wrote:
Max, I could look at that Rx-4 all day. They would certainly be two very different cars to drive! I'd still drive the Rx-4 though any day!!

But dude, the 13B RX-8 is all side port and those weird renesis rotors, sorta a different 13B really!

Hello B1500boy,

I would have to agree with you on taking the RX4 over the 93FD any day. I love vintage cars and most of all rotary's. I love my RX4 and I have driven her some, pers and is smooth as silk. Just that our summers are so short here and I have to drive on busy highways to go to work everyday, using the RX4 for that just upsets me as it would certainly wear her. Plus I have a 2 year old daughter now and I wanted something a little more modern and safer (for me with airbags god forbid) in case. I would not put my daughter in either though. If I end up not having the same passion for the FD as I do the RX4 I will be able to sell it for at least the same price I paid.

I will post some more pics of the RX4 once I have her all cleaned up and detailed for the summer months. I have not done so yet since buying her in fall of 2006.

Thanks

Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:34 pm 
Administrator

Always great to see that RX4. She's a beaut.

P.S. I think "dope" means good :wink:

Post subject: Re: 13B-RX8
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:36 pm 

maxg765 wrote:
Ethereal_510 wrote:

Hello

I was under the impression that Mazda advertises the RX8 as the first new Rotary in decades. I thought was considered a Renesis Rotary and not a 13B also having changed the displacement from 1.3 to a larger one for the first time since 1974?
As well, sorry not sure I understood what you meant by the FD being "dope". Is that a good opionion or negative? Maybe I should have posted and included myself as the third in my growing vintage collection.

Regards

Max

Who knows haha, I just know they the first model in 03 was called the 13b msp but it doesnt really matter, your cars are sweet and thats whats important

and yea sorry, dope was meant to be cool, sweet, great, top notch etc etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:55 pm 

I love that RX4 of yours, a beauty. The US bumbers is really ugly, is it possible to change to the euro/Aus/jap bumbers and store the US one. Then the car would be 100% visually (and you would still had the original in storage) and 98% technically. (99% for the 4-speed and 100% for the 5-speed). I have a 1975 RX4HT 13B 5-speed under restoration, but it will not be as good as yours. Anyone know wich country got the 5-speed? Did the US or Aus models got the 5-speed? I know UK got 50 units.

Post subject: 100%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm 
123sub wrote:
I love that RX4 of yours, a beauty. The US bumbers is really ugly, is it possible to change to the euro/Aus/jap bumbers and store the US one. Then the car would be 100% visually (and you would still had the original in storage) and 98% technically. (99% for the 4-speed and 100% for the 5-speed). I have a 1975 RX4HT 13B 5-speed under restoration, but it will not be as good as yours. Anyone know wich country got the 5-speed? Did the US or Aus models got the 5-speed? I know UK got 50 units.

Hello,

Thanks for the notes. I wanted to change the bumpers as I don't like them either. They do however look worse in pictures then in real life. I decided not to touch the car as since my getting it I have learned that finding an RX4 Coupe in original state and not requiring any work is very rare if not next to impossible. I don't even need to clean the car and have not done so yet. She will get detailed this summer for the first time since new in 1974. For the reason that everything is original I wont change to the nicer non US bumpers as I would not be able to say she is 100% untouched anymore. I had plans for a manual conversion as well prior to getting her but thats gone too, hence the FD purchase.
From what I know both the US and Ausi got manual cars but I don't know how many to each.

Oh, almost forgot, since you mention you are restoring one. I have all the original shop manuals for the US Spec cars including the 75 parts book and both a separate transmission and emissions booklet sent to me by Mazda Canada after they heard about my car and saw pictures. If i can and you need any info I can try and look it up for you, maybe scan a section and email it if you are stuck on something.

Thanks again,

Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:18 am 
Administrator

Hi Max,

I agree. Considering the immaculate condition your car is in, I wouldn't do any modifications that aren't reversible. As Indiana Jones would say it belongs in a museum.

Post subject: keeping her stock
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:24 am 
ben wrote:
Hi Max,

I agree. Considering the immaculate condition your car is in, I wouldn't do any modifications that aren't reversible. As Indiana Jones would say it belongs in a museum.

Hello Ben,

I agree with no mods. This example is just too original. I really had plans for at least the manual conversion, some sort of after-market AC system, and putting the Japanese bumpers but as mentioned after getting her and researching more about this model my ideas quickly vanished. I still tinker with the idea of swapping the bumpers to non US as I don't think it involves any mods internlaly and then could easily be reversed but even this I have not decided on. I think the car just needs to stay 100% stock and in the end the bottom line is its either 100% stock or not, that would include the bumpers.

Oh also, I think I mentioned it but all these pictures I have are either from when I first saw the car in the little ladies driveway or the following early spring while there was still snow out. In either case the car had not been washed or cleaned yet. I have two pics of when I gave her a good washing that I will post below from the summer but still no detail or waxing was done to this day. I plan that this spring. As well, it is not me in any of the pics should you or anyone wonder.

I was at a small rotary meet this past summer, one of two I attended the whole summer. The only other was a general all brand classic show in Granby, Quebec. There were FD's and FC's at this one moded out with tens of thousands of dollars spent and this little RX4 seemed to be the one with the most interest. Funny for me. All stock, least power and most stock yet it captures everyones attention. I never would have thought when I bought it, I simply liked the look and shape and have a love for the rotary motor and old classic cars. This one seemed to fit all my points and needed no repairs so I bought it. I paid a lot but I also did knowing that if I were to buy a rough 2K to 4K car out of the US it would have cost me more or the same in the end to look like this one. Plus would not be original.....

Anyway regards

Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:36 pm 
what a top example of a unrestored rx4 coupe

to change the bumpers would not take anything away from the car

as you could put it back anytime

what is the paintcode and colour ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:17 am 

Aren't the bars the same as Jap spec.Just take off the overiders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:45 pm 
Administrator

whatever happened to max and his rx4? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:42 pm 

Rotary Lover wrote:
Aren't the bars the same as Jap spec.Just take off the overiders

Not quite,but close. For one I know the Oz spec bumpers have the reverse lights recessed in the bumper on the rear,and the U.S. spec have the reverse lights as an add on mounted on the body. I am unsure of the fronts,but I have a felling they are slightly different as there is a notch in the U.S. bumpers for the over-riders where the OZ spec ones would not have that I bet.

78 RX-7 GS Spark Yellow
74 REPU Lawn Green

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]