#
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Mazda 929 MA conversion and compliancing (QLD)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:44 pm 

The VC motor in my 929 wagon is slowly dying, and it's gotten to the point where I should really rebuild or replace.
A rebuild kit would cost me $530, or I can get a secondhand VC motor for $450, or I can buy a whole mazda 626 with MA motor for a couple hundred and get other bits and pieces including a 5 speed gearbox (which is an attractive option)

My question is If I were to convert to the 2.0 L, what else would I need to do to get the car compliance plated in QLD? And can anyone recommend a workshop in the Brisbane area that does the compliance plating?

Thanks for the help guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:34 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Hey mate,

Technically, both the MA and 5 speed would need to blue plated as that model wasn't released with the 2.0L. In most cases you will need to fabricate a gearbox crossmember to take the five speed.

We use Keith from KCF Rallyport at Kippa Ring in the Mazda club. He's our club engineer and has the authority for most blue plates. He is very helpful, but give him a call first before you start as he is very particular on everything being correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:26 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

second hand VC motor should cost no more than a slab of beer. $450 is ludicrous! They give them away on ausrotary.

You may actually be able to use a factory mount for the 5spd, I'm sure I've got a brochure somewhere of a 929 with a 5spd in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:08 am 

"Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:26 am"

Haha couldn't sleep mate?

Yeah 450 did seem a bit much for an old motor like that, will put up a couple of adds to see if I can rope one in. Or i'll get my hands dirty and rebuild the bloody thing...

cheers guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 am 

definitely grab the 2 litre and 5 speed. the extra 200cc and fifth gear will be noticeable improvements.
i argue that a mod plate is not necessary.
in any case a mod plate is $90.00
you don't need to change a thing as the engine mounts are the same
the gearbox mount *might* need to be moved to a different set of holes under the car - there are a few thread spacings under there.
worst case you are up for a modified gearbox crossmember - they aren't hard to make!

as ewok said - MA/VC engines are still common. I have a few including one that was supposedly rebuilt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:43 am 
JNC Fanatic

[quote="aaron_hogan"]definitely grab the 2 litre and 5 speed. the extra 200cc and fifth gear will be noticeable improvements.
i argue that a mod plate is not necessary.
in any case a mod plate is $90.00

Yeah sucks but will need the blue plates, a good friend just did the same conversion into a Capella and needed mod plates. Gotta love those QLD rules!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]