#
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:25 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:09 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

baltsiotis wrote:
Swedish cars, that means cars for swedish market were always different at that time, mostly according to local legislation combined with the then called "arctic" specs. They were classified after a specific code model from mazda. If you take a look at parts catalog the differences are so numerous... (Ok, a LHD car parts book).

The big parts book for the STB models (I've never seen a FA3TS one) lists specific parts for all markets. ie some 1000/1300's had column shift...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:05 am 

Well. it's a big discussion. Generally talking, besides the domestic japanese market, the classification related to the specifications of the car was based on the following geographical "units": General export (X2=LHD+RHD), ECE (LHD roughly for European Union), USA (in some cases including Canada), Australia and Sweden. Inside or besides these units can be found several other classifications of which the most common are: Canada, California, USA arctic spec , literally "cold proof", USA -northern, ECE cold proof, UK, France, Saudi Arabia, cold proof and others. My point was that Sweden just like Australia form always a seperate "big category", which is not valid for other cases even if some of them seem to stand apart and create a category during a specific period of time. That is for example the case of Okinawa during 60s, Taiwan for KIA models etc. Classifications which sometimes you meet at parts catalog like column-floor shift are not classifications according to which mazda categorized its vehicles, but must be seen more as the "results"of the above mentioned classifications according to geographical units.

I have to add that the four front numbers of every mazda part (until early eighties) was indicating the model of the car the specific part was firstly used). So an RX4 can even have a part number starting from 0114. 0114 was the "60-66 R360 coupe-air cooled" car. Or a part number firstly used in a car which appeared later than the initial, in our case RX4. So japanese RX7s "lend" parts to very late RX4s.

The official mazda "model number list" can be found on line at the site of multirotor. This list, according to my research has several mistakes, mostly related with the period every car was produced. In other cases is confusing. A striking example is the 1979-1981 RX9 case (you can find the whole discussion for this model at ausrotary). But these cases form a minority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:40 am 

Thanks for bringing back memories. My first car was a 1300 coupe.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2