#
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
 Post subject: RX-3 SP carnage
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:07 am 

Hey guys,

Well I bought this really nicely restored 77 RX-3 SP on Monday,and yesterday(9/5/10) it was rear-ended by an inattentive driver on her cell phone,and completely destroyed. I was on only my second drive of the car,and about 1 mile from home.

Here are the gruesome pics:

http://web.me.com/cdirado/Diradosite/RX-3-damage.html

I am okay,and thankfully my kids weren't with me as the would have been hurt pretty bad in my opinion. I am sore in the back/neck area,but I think I will be okay. Went to the hospital a few hours after the accident as my back,an neck started to hurt. The doctor said it would be worse in the morning,and he was right. I am up posting here at 5am because I can't sleep. The seat back snapped with the force of the impact,and the car is a total loss in my opinion. It should be fun dealing with the insurance company on a value. I have a bunch invested,and I am not sure I will get it back even with the agreed upon value policy I have through a classic car insurer. Wish me luck. Now what am I going to replace this with? I love old Mazda's,but after seeing this carnage maybe I want a more modern car. Maybe another RX-8??

Chris

78 RX-7 GS Spark Yellow
74 REPU Lawn Green
89 Mitsubishi Delica P25W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:28 am 

Glad to hear that your ok, sad to see the car like that, RIP RX-3 SP :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:40 am 
Administrator

i've heard of similar stories to yours unforunately
so i think there's more than just the cellphone to blame
majority of drivers don't expect to see any older cars when they're driving

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:54 pm 

:shock: Glad to hear that you werent hurt to badly. As for the car, thats very unfortunatly to say the least. I wish you the best. and keep us updated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:37 am 
JNC Enthusiast

did you beat the bitch over her head with her mobile phone?

I went postal at the guy that smashed into the back of my 1300.

At least your kids weren't in the back. Strip the SP to bits and send her off to the wreckers.

Post subject: sad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:14 am 

That is my fear when i finish my rx2. Im out with the kids on a nice sunday drive and some dickhead runs into us. So sorry for your loss. Lucky your kids werent there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:05 pm 

Man, I have exactly the same fear as rx2stu. Eight years to get my Rx2 back on the road, and wham, some clown does to my baby what this lady did to your SP. I'm amazed at your self control, as I would have to remain strapped in my seat belt for hours to ensure I had a full evaluation of what a life-long prison sentence could be like.

So sorry for what has happenned to you! Sure glad you came out of it physically, as that carnage would depict otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:41 am 

I really do understand how your feeling Chris, I'm pleased you didnt have your kids in the back mate. I was sent that link of your SP a couple of days ago by a mutual friend. :shock:
Same thing happened to me back in 99. I have just had the 2nd neck surgery 6 weeks ago and have been wearing this damn neck brace ever since and wont be back to work until November. Hope you get better soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:28 pm 

Really they wrote it off ? When I was a panelbeater we had to fix worst than that,just get them to get you a back half form an 808 and a new back panel etc.

Last edited by Moneyshot on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:32 pm 

No they have not written it off yet. They actually called me last night to say that they plan on buying a donor car,and welding the back half of it to my good front half. Not what I want done,but I don't really have much say as far as that is concerned. I really don't care ifit gets fixed to be honest as I like the car but never had time to get attached to it,so I don't have that emotional bond I have wth my RX-7,and REPU.

78 RX-7 GS Spark Yellow
74 REPU Lawn Green

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:01 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I see no reason why that cant be fixed and be undetectable. Once the panel shop unpicks the quarter panels they can put it on a rack to make sure its all aligned right. With the quarters off straightening the boot floor and associated damage will be a breeze. Your new quarters can then be spot welded back on just like the factory did. Im afraid the hardest part is going to be sourcing some decent non rusty quarter panels. The rest of it looks like a straight forward repair to me for an experienced panel shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:36 am 

Problem is finding this experienced shop to do it,and the cost. In Australia this may be easy,but here in the land of the lazy these type of shops are few,and far between. It is even rare to see a car older than 1996 around here,so finding a shop that wants to touch this sort of repair on a 70's Japanese car is going to be tough. Also finding suitable replacement sheetmetal will be a chore.

78 RX-7 GS Spark Yellow
74 REPU Lawn Green

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:56 am 

Mazdax605 wrote:
Problem is finding this experienced shop to do it,and the cost. In Australia this may be easy,but here in the land of the lazy these type of shops are few,and far between. It is even rare to see a car older than 1996 around here,so finding a shop that wants to touch this sort of repair on a 70's Japanese car is going to be tough. Also finding suitable replacement sheetmetal will be a chore.

I know of a qualified shop in arizona called the finishing touch which is owned by Glenn Roberts, this shop has the know how of how to do this job right, the problem is that Mr. Roberts might not accept the job, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Post subject: RX3 Carnage
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:31 pm 

I'm glad nothing major happen to you. Do you want to sell the car? I have a donor car to fix yours. Let me know if interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:04 pm 

I am selling the car,but I would rather keep it,and find another chassis to move all the parts from this one to. I would like $4500 for it as it is right now.

78 RX-7 GS Spark Yellow
74 REPU Lawn Green

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:46 pm 

Chris how are you its been a while, what a shame you finally got one and you couldn't enjoy it. How did you make out with this car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:33 pm 

Chris, if you still have the car would you consider parting it out? I'd be interested in the front spoiler and a few other parts.

Keith :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:56 am 

Car sold to a buyer in Philadelphia about two weeks ago. Sorry.

Chris

78 RX-7 GS Spark Yellow
74 REPU Lawn Green

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]