#
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:35 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: 929 Carburetter mix up...whoops! MA +VC carb parts...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:09 am 

Hi guys, I just bought a reconditioned carburettor for my old 1978 mazda 929 wagon... the old one is starting to show its age, and the new one was pretty cheap...

Its coming in the mail at the moment... BUT doh! I forgot to read the small print before purchasing! it says it'll fit the 2.0 litre MA engine, not the 1.8VC which is what I've got! :oops:

Can I make this one fit? or do i need the intake manifold from an MA engine? Will the Air filter from the VC carb fit? :roll:

Thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:25 pm 

No worries, will fit just fine..

The jetting might be different, but these are easily swapped between the two carbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 am 

Hey Rainer you got that one of ebay aye, was looking at it myself but saw the fine print and shyed away, but i did some enquiries first and was told it still bolts up and it would need some adjustments, i've got someone in brissy that can help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:30 am 

Ok!
So got the carby in the mail today, have never played with carbys much... but it is a learning experience! I was surprised it only took me an hour or so, and i'm a beginner! yep it was the ebay one :-) good buy.

Pulled the old carby off really easy, noted positions of the various hoses. There were only two things that caused me difficulty.
(if anyone wants pictures, i'll put them up)

1. The direction of the fuel intake above the float level. On the old carby, it faced downward towards the firewall. On the new carby, it faced horizontally over the float bowl pointing towards the rocker cover (why? i dunno...)

The fix: I could have gone to repco and gotten a longer hose, but I didn't want to/too lazy... plus they make me buy it by the metre.
So i simply undid the bolt on the top of the float holding the intake, flipped the it upside down and turned it towards the firewall. perfect, not as good as the old one but close! Had a few problems with leakage from here, so I had to go back and re-fasten it.

2. One vacum port left over.
I did not know what this was for, so I asked the janitor at my college (who happens to be a mechanic) He said it probably went into the air filter. We were both amazed at the condition of the reco'd carby - very good! looks like it had been re-zinked too! not bad for 100 bucks!
anyway so I looked on the bottom of my blue air filter box and ta-dah its got a little hole in the bottom ! I plugged the vacum port up for the meantime, until I get a chance to somehow attach the hose to the hole in the filter box... i'm thinking a garden dripper attachment may fit right in there? hmmm i'll see... it is handy working part-time in a hardware store!

Anyway, thats all for now. I'll worry about the jetting later (if ever) because it runs very well as it is.

one noticeable thing is that I have suction through the distributor port at idle. I never had that in the old one! one downside (i don't know why) is that on acceleration from idle, there is the tiniest amount of hesitation/dying before the engine takes off. but you hardly notice, so I think I can put up with it for a while.

So now i've got an old carby... I think maybe i'll put a kit through it, learn about how to rebuild and sell it off.... or if anyone wants it pm me. the whole thing wobbles on itself atm...

thats all folks, back to study... erlgh exam tomorrow...

R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:25 am 

:tu: well done!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]