#
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 23   [ 454 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1974 RX-4/929 wagon.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:09 am 

Fair enough! Still a damn cool car though! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:21 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I think it pales in comparison to the blue '4 that you have, Gypsy's projects and the cars that Dave pumps out! :lol:

None of the wheels I had for sale on ebay or gumtree sold so I think it's time for a change of wheels.

I'm also pitcrewing next week at the Alpine Rally so I think that rules out Classic Japan. :(

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:38 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

So the head stopped leaking after I did the main bolts up again, I fished around and found the missing rocker arm nut, checked the carburettor and points, generally lots of little things and it still runs like it is down on power.

So I parked it for a few months and let the rego run out.

Then the other day I started it up to move it and it was like its old self again, lots of power - so much so that I went for an hour long cruise. 8)

And so I sold it last night. :cry:

Unfortunately it's still in need of some TLC: it was starting to break out in rust bubbles from being parked outside near the beach, my p6b Rover has really been chewing up my spare time and I have a few other non car things on the go. I can't afford to spring for an engine rebuild at the moment and it was a waste just having it sitting there. I think the new owner is pretty keen to rotorise it and just cruise the thing into the ground, so it might pop up in the Melbourne rotor scene again.

Pity I never got to do any "motorsport" in it, but I did learn that it's far cheaper to buy a car already done than to do it yourself!

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:59 am 

Sad days Geoff.....was a cool wagon 8)

Hopefully the new owner keeps working on it and preserves it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:05 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Well the car is off to a fellow forum member!

It was really sad to see it go down the street. My wife told me I'm going to regret it! :P

In other news, I bought a box of stuff off a workmate, an "electric" distributor*, some workshop manuals, rubber bits etc. Turns out the distributor was a points one and the rubber bits were for a capella, so they're all pretty useless, but if anyone needs any Mazda gregory type manuals let me know.

I've also offloaded all the 929/RX-4 stuff out of the garage to the new owner. I now have some storage space back for my 1300 bits. :D

*PS. Philip - I have yours to give back to you. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:49 pm 

The drive from Ewok Racing's place to work in Port Melbourne went smoothly, and I'm pretty excited about getting work on the wagon underway.
As soon as I got to work I unpacked all the parts I had been gifted with the car (cheers G) and hit it with the angle grinder. There were plenty of tiny bubbles to scratch off from the salty air, a few of which has gone straight through. Absolutely nothing nasty though; the wagon will clean up really nicely. The exposed metal got hit with a rust converter, which I've left to react overnight. Today Ill get to welding up some of the holes.
Pics to follow...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:51 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

^ showed picture to my wife. She asked why I couldnt move that quickly! :P

I also had a lead on a GTI style front lip spoiler - will email you about it. I didnt see it but I know that either AH or I have a km/hr speedo too.

when you pull motor give me a holler. Will probably need some of the piston bits for the white car.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:46 am 

Ok, so this was the worst of the rust:
Cut it all out, soaked everything underneath in rust converter, and made a stencil in cardboard:
Finally tacked in some new metal:
Ill weld up any gaps nicely when I get some more gas for the MIG.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:21 am 

Good on you for having a go but I see some serious welding problems !

Way too much heat especially for a roof panel, wire feed and current seems way off the mark looking at the welds. Are you using straight argon or argon mix..... Makes a big difference to weld quality, you need an argon mix.

Have you set the shielding gas flow rate right ?
Are you using flux core or solid steel wire ...and is the MIG polarity set right for gas and solid wire ?

If you don't have access to the rear of the panel, welding is going to be really slow so heat dissipates while tacking in. If I were you I'd cut two strips of steel like a ruler size and observe how the steel reacts as it's tacked together. You'll find it separates into a V shape the more heat you put in. It'll also let you tune the machine. The weld area needs to be cleaned as you progress to get penetration. Also the better the gaps are with the patch the easier the job. You can spend 15min making a nice fitting patch or 2 hours filling it with mig wire and grinding away. The better option maybe just to fiberglass the area.

Not all is lost, it can be done again with little fuss. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:19 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I have a fibreglass kit you can have D.

Aaron's wagon has a headliner I think. Go nuts and do the holes for the wing and that bloody roof vent!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

D - I've just verbally sold some bits to another Mazda guy: he might be interested in the gearbox/motor: especially those powdercoated extractors

his build thread is here, drop him a PM

http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php? ... 2#p2770412

he's also on here too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:34 am 

Gypsy - I couldn't get any more gas on a public holiday, and went a bit crazy tacking the metal in without gas - just using flux wire. I picked up an Argon 'light' mix today, and will soon grind off the splatter and start over. You'd be right in assessing that I'm still very much at the trial and error stage though, so many thanks for the several tips. I'll persevere with the getting good metal patches in for sure, fibreglass isn't my thing.
ER - That's great news about the fibreglass kit and headliner, and Ill get in touch with the other user about the engine/exhaust.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:35 am 

No problem, what you are trying to do isn't that hard with a little practice. When you clean it outfor a second go don't forget to put some zinc spray in there.

When the MIG is set right the tacks will melt in. Tack your patch in every 2 inches or so, let the metal cool for 10min then repeat the process until the tacks are joined together.Grind back high welds with a flap disk, say 80 grit, then do the filler work. If you want it to last spray the inside with wax converter then fish oil or wax once you are happy. Just practice on scrap and see how the metal behaves. Big gaps small gaps, thin metal etc Heat is the enemy.

I know in NSW and QLD you can buy your own E size bottles for 400 filled then about 120-130 a refill. They seem to like to rip people in VIC for rental, never found anyone who sells bottles in that state :'(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:38 am 

I just realised that my last post made no damn sense - long day at work I guess.
ER - am keen to chase up the roof lining and the chin spoiler, but will pass on the fibreglass kit at this point thanks.
The welds came out 1,000 times better using the Argon mix, so I'm definitely going to keen chipping away with the MIG and metal patches.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:57 pm 

Does anyone have a 1974 RX4/929 alternator? Mine's only putting out 11.5V.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:25 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

^ hmmm. Thats not right. I tested it only a few months ago and it had a healthy 13.8

I have two you can have. I also have a regulator to go with it, maybe the external reg has died.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:59 pm 

I installed one of the several alternators generously provided by EwokRacing and fired up the car - instantly blowing up my low beams!
According to my multimeter, the new alternator was putting out a massive 16.7V.
At this point it would be a fair guess that the external regulator, rather than the alternator itself, is not functioning correctly, damaging the previous alternator on the car, and doing it's best to send the replacement to an early grave.
After some umming and ahhing, I decided that it might be better to move to a new Bosch alternator with an internal regulator, and to delete the external regulator altogether.
I also got a couple of replacement low beams in quick smart. Melbourne is particularly dark and rainy this time of year.
In other happier news, the car blitzed a roadworthy, and is now road registered again. Score!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:17 pm 

I'd like to do a quick tune this weekend, but Google is not my friend.
Does anyone know off hand the ignition timing and points gap?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 pm 

I have a couple of interesting options for an engine conversion. I'd like to get underway in the next couple of weeks:

1. Buy a second hand 13b bridgeport and S2 RX7 5 speed, with most parts to complete the RX4 conversion (exhaust may be incomplete/in pieces etc). The kit will be provided by a well-respected engine builder, who knows the car the engine came from, and recently saw it running in good going order, and making a healthy 150hp odd on a dyno.

2. Buy a second complete 929 wagon for around the same money. The wagon is running a 13b 6 port and weber. It's running fine at the moment, but the car has been laid up in a garage for two years. It has been running the 13b for eight years, and the history of the 13b is unknown prior to that. It has a good series 4 RX7 gearbox and some assorted other goodies I'd also like to poach for my wagon.

Obviously, option 2 seems like a bit of a gamble with the engine not having seen much use recently, but I get a plenty of additional additional parts with the wagon to swap over (brakes, springs etc), and the advantage of being able to transfer across a complete working system as is. Obviously I can sell the wagon again with my piston engine and get a little money back.

Comments? I haven't had much rotary experience, so I'm a little out of my depth.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:06 am 

If you haven't "lived" with a Bridge Port, you may be in for a shock, the "fun" of the idle and noise can quickly become tiresome, the lack of being able to drive it smoothly at low speed can be annoying, shut it up and it will go like a turd. 150hp from a BP is not healthy unless it has a very quiet exhaust/std carby. Series II RX-7 box's are not that strong either and not really suited to a BP, so it's not like that is a glamour combination. Unless you can get pics of the porting, I hate to say it but a lot of BP's are just junk, built with shit porting, std seals, and if you give it a decent rev it will poo itself.

The whole car with 6-Port with Weber and S4 box to me sounds like much better combo for something you want to drive a lot and be semi practical. It will drive a lot nicer, with a reasonable exhaust not be much slower at all, and the g'box is much better. If it was an un-rebuilt import motor, chances are if it isn't using water or blowing smoke it will be fine. It will give you a good indication of what slightly modified Rotary ownership is lie without jumping into the deep in with a BP, which at the end of the day is a race modification not really suited to a nice street car.

By the way I've owned RX-2's with an old stock RX4/5 13B import motor and Weber combo, and currently have an RX-4 track car with a 13B Bridge Port. The BP is great for the track, but it's best over 4,000rpm and is way too loud to be legal, but my old import motor and Weber was a great combo on the street, super easy to drive, not too loud, and ran 15.1 at Eastern Creek so it wasn't a total slug by any stretch.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 21 of 23   [ 454 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next