#
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The stuff that Dreams are made of... (cafe racer UPDATED
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:00 pm 

After the S-Precision exhaust was in place and rocking, I needed to address the intake. I was currently running the stock carb and was offered by David to use his Mikuni TM24! I was excited because on David’s bike , it was like a rocket. He sent me it with all the jets and I installed that right quick! To this day, we still don’t know what happened from coming off his bike and onto mine, but it was an angry fellow. Upon first startup, the idle was all over the place, and in some cases, it would rev to infinity like a stuck throttle. The linkage he sent was from a previous owner before David. It was a split linkage but we only had one cable. I lubed it up nicely and made sure it was moving freely: no dice. The throttle handle would stick here and there so I rest the controls and cleaned the inside of the linkage housing to knock out any crusty old lube that might be causing the problem: no dice. I completely rebuild the carb and resealed everything: no dice. David had made an adapter using a piece of plating and RTV sealant to merge the Mikuni to a stock dream intake adapter. I ripped it all apart and resealed everything: no dice.

You can see a pattern forming. Pretty much, this carb hated me. I don’t know why but that is how it was. I had reached my point of spending money on little things here and there and decided to pull the trigger on a Takegawa Keihin PE24 carb. I found one new for a decent price. I was paying for peace of mind that it was new and had everything designed specifically for the Dream 50 including the intake adapter (which came stock with a bigger honing/opening for performance upgrades).

I think David and I both were happy in the end but would still like to know what ever happened to that Mikuni carb.

The Mikuni TM24:

The Keihin PE24:

The PE24 held an idle at first kick (as expected on a new carb) and seemed to work very well with the exhaust. Both were making great sounds too ;)
Because the engine was stock, I had an intake that could feed a ton of air/fuel and an exhaust that could keep up. It was the engine itself that was now the bottleneck. That too, would need to change. There were 2 bore up kits made for the Dream by Takegawa: a 94cc and 89cc. The 94cc came with a new head design and cylinder where as the 89cc just used a new cylinder (and piston). I wanted to go big with the 94cc kit but it was long discontinued (more and more stiff for this bike were disappearing) and even used kits were going for over $2000!!! Nuts!! What a difference a specialty bike can make right? Ape and Monkey bikes have bore-up kits for $150 all day long that make triple the power. I guess with a unique engine, you get unique prices?? The bore-up would have to wait a bit. The 89cc kit was $400 and needed hi-cams as well, another $300. Just those 2 parts accounted for half the price I paid for the whole bike!

Instead, at the same time as the carb, I installed a new coil, It is a Kitaco and was about 50% bigger than the stock Dream.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:07 pm 

Awesome man!

It's good to see the progress of the old girl. You're making me miss my Dream now. With the weather being as sunny and fantastic as it has been lately, it's been perfect riding weather. Too bad I'm locked up in my garage battling brake issues on my Honda Life all weekend, haha.

I didn't realize how much the bike had changed since you moved to Tokyo! You're doing a pretty awesome job man!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:26 pm 

Thanks David! The timing has been really good since moving back to Tokyo that I can get little projects done in a weekend. This is where lack on money actually benefits haha. IF I had it my way, I would do it all at the same time but it would be hard to complete it in a short time or know the true effects of each repair/upgrade.

Good luck with the Life! Hope your brake issues get worked out this time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:54 pm 

Well, the time came for some engine work. This began last May after I had gathered enough funds to take the plunge into a bore-up kit. Reality was cruel one more time by hitting me with about an $800 price tag on the kit!! Ouch!! This is after getting 30% off! But it was time so I went for it (you only live once right?)

Everything was Takegawa. Most know, but Takegawa makes a ton of aftermarket parts for Japanese bikes. They are like the Super Autobacs of parts supply for bikes. Better still, they are proven parts out of research and sheer volume of sales. I had complete confidence in the parts, but not completely in myself. I still didn’t have a repair manual so torque specs were unknown. I also didn’t have a torque wrench or some of the specialty tools needed. I put an order for the tools as well and set out to find torque specs for the head bolts, main bolts, etc.

Let me tell you, this bike is pretty rare. Finding torque specs and tear downs are even more rare. There are plenty of Japanese blogs showing people putting on shiny new parts or making the bike have more bling, but very few actually get into the engine. I only found one person with some pics of the head cover popped open: still no torque specs. I went to a local Honda shop near my home and talked to the shop keeper. He even had a Dream outside. I asked if he had a manual I could look at or if he knew the torque specs: He didn’t have either. Damn!

Well, my last hope was to see if the kit itself had specs included. If not, I was gonna have to break down and get a repair manual. Again that manual was between $100-150 USED. The bike is simple enough that the engine work is really only what I need it for.

Finally, the kit arrived and….it had specs! Hooray for instructions that come complete! It was now Golden Week (a national week of rest and taking it easy) so I had that time to get into the bike without having to go to work. Since I don’t have a garage, and my apartment front door area isn’t shaped to let me wheel the bike inside, it was all gonna be done outside. I didn’t have a motor stand so I wanted to use the bike as an engine stand and work on it on the frame.

First things first, the bike needed to go on a diet.

Then the flywheel needed to be at TDC:

Now, it was time to remove the carb and crack open the head:

You can see that this is a DOHC setup where the timing chain is actually on a center gear that in turn (good one!) turns the cams. The inside was actually very clean for running 43k! I made sure to take pics of each cam and verified it was still all at TDC with the match marks.

Now the center chain gear had to come out.

There were 3 socket cap screws that came out and the head was free…only problem was, the frame BARRRRRRRELY wouldn't let the head clear the frame for removal! After 5 minutes of swearing at it and stating how “stupid” that design was, I got back to work to remove the entire engine from the frame. That meant disconnecting the chain and removal from frame.

Last edited by Sideglide on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:05 pm 

Now, David DID suggest that I might wanna take the engine out before cracking into it but I thought the head would clear the frame. Oops. So the only other option was to lay the bike on its side and remove it.

(The weights were used to help support the engine from not dropping on the street as the frame support brackets were taken off)

Slim!!

Seriously, I basically now had a pedal bike. It’s amazing to see how tiny the bike really is without a motor and tank. On a side note: Now that the engine was out, I could relax a bit and take a look at the oil. The pic isn’t the best but there is some metal specs in it that reminded me of what a diff. fluid flush looked like after a drift event on my ae86.

Motor now in my front doorway aka, world’s smallest garage (like 2ft x 2ft)

I went light on the pics at this point because I got focused on getting stuff done, but you can see the parts bonanza from the head tear down here:

And finally, I got to the piston:

Besides the carbon buildup, it also looked really good! And to compare the size..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:24 pm 

A few more comparison shots between old and new:

New 89cc piston:

New cams! Super tiny as well!

And old and new:

The night before, I had done all the pre-assembly work needed for the new cylinder. I pre-oiled the cylinder walls with a few coats and let it penetrate over night, put in the wrist pin keeper, installed the piston rings, etc.

For the head, I cleaned it up really well, lapped the valves as best I could (the lapper tool was too big, even with the smallest suction cup) and installed everything. The shims were all within spec (even better than before I lapped the valves) so I buttoned everything up.

Sigh……..Here’s where I started to swear again.

I installed the head tight, but didn’t torque it down since that would mean using the torque wrench and hug the engine to keep it from twisting around, not a good combo. Instead, I installed the bike back into the frame. The torque wrench I bought was…not the best. Torque specs ranged from 12-26 but the wrench I had started the number settings at 30. I STUPIDLY measured the number spacing on the wrench and made my own calculations on where I needed to adjust to get the proper torque on the head bolts. I was doing OK until I noticed one was torquing more than the others. I thought “Just get it to cinch up and it will be good” then SNAP! I broke one of the main head bolts.

After swearing up and down at myself, I went back to the cmsnl website (listed on page 1) and got the numbers for all new bolts. Honda is funny in that you cannot order over the phone for parts. You need to go to an outlet, order and pay, then come back another day. This meant that, because it was a national holiday, I would have to first wait the rest of the week, then order, then another week before I could get the bolts/studs.

Because of the long wait, I decided to also order a torque wrench that specifically was for bikes and had the correct torque ranges. Both came in about the same time and I got to work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:46 pm 

Taking out the old bolts/studs was pretty easy. I got lucky (I guess) that the stud broke at the top, and not the bottom. I was able to get some channel locks on the broken bit and get it out without drilling and tapping. The others came out (and back in) using the double nut trick.

The cams have a slip gear in them that is meant to be slightly offset from the main cam gear. This is done to reduce chatter between the cam gears and chain gear. Sorry I didn’t take a pic but this slip gear is held together with the cam gear by a sprung clip and tiny pins (a pain in the ass to put together I might add).

Now, the engine was once again installed, torqued properly, and has new oil (head, gears, cams all pre-lubed) and ready to start.

First, I hand turned the engine at the flywheel to get the bike lubricated in oil a few times and to listen for any contact or feel binding. It was all good. I kicked the kick starter and it kicked back haha! The compression was so much higher, and everything new and unbroken in that it was kicking back. A few more kicks and the bike came to life!

The engine needed to get some serious time putting around in low RPMs before I could open it up. Man, it was tempting. I rode it around the block a few times and all the bike wanted to do was go FASTER. The power was so strong that it would buck a bit from first to second gear. I was maxing out the legal speed limit in nothing flat. Remember, this is my only bike experience so what I'm describing may not be as amazing as a bigger cc’d bike, but for me, it felt like a rocket ship. The shifting between the transmission was also smoother and felt like butter.

Just a FEW times I took it to 8000k and it was just singing. I hadn’t touched the jetting on the carb and it seemed to be OK with it. (The story on that comes a little later).

Last edited by Sideglide on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:54 pm 

After the bore-up kit was all said and done, to best utilize my new found power and freedom from being stuck behind slow cars, I needed to address the drivetrain. The stock Dream uses a 5-speed transmission. As far as my knowledge, there is only one 6-speed transmission (Takegawa) available and the cost is astronomical. Since an extra gear in the current bike usage would not give me much bang-for-my-buck, I instead decided to focus on the drive and driven gears.

Months back, I replaced the 420 chain with another 420 chain. S-Precision sells a 415 chain and gear sets but again, cost more than I’m willing to spend. During that time, I bought and tried a T11 toothed drive gear (stock is T12). It let me speed up quicker but killed some of the top end. Then I bought a T15 and the power just died. The T15 also maxed out the length of my current chain. That meant the T16 drive gear I also bought would not fit. After the bore up, I ran on the T15 for a bit and determined it was good,but not best suited for city life. One more time, I bought a drive gear, T14. This one fit with my riding style and environment. The revs were fast as well as having a max speed (unknown since the needle was buried). If I get a license for bigger bikes, which allows me to ride legally faster, I might go back to the T15 since it would be good for freeway/highway rides.

(Drive gear pics coming)

The last piece of the puzzle was now the driven gear. Stock size is T43. Takegawa sells a T38 that works well with the previously mentioned T15 and T16 drive gears for high speeds. Instead of that option, I found one guy, ONE guy that sold Dream parts online for race bikes and was having XAM make custom driven gears for him. They were made in small batches only. I talked to him a bit and got my order in for the next batch. It took 2 months but I finally got a reply. My custom GOLD XAM T40 driven gear! Holy balls it’s nice and pretty! It also determined the final paint scheme, gold and red. That will be down the line when I can do a custom painted frame and parts but for now, I am happy with the bling. As far as the ride goes, even better response and pull. 2nd and 3rd have all the power I need. I hit the 60 km/h, the most the stock speedo will read, with ease.

XAM Dream 50 custom T40 in gold:

For reference, here it was when I bought it (goofy work clothes)

Bike on the right:
Bike on the left in this pic:

And the bike in its current state:

There are little things I still want to do like:

-new clip-on handle bars
-better speedo
-make an LED headlight (again)
-make a custom seat with an access hole for the tank strap
-tank strap with Y100 yen coins
-different side mirrors
-oil catch can
-custom tool case for on the bike
-cut off all unnecessary mounting tabs from the original frame
-clean up the wiring harness to make it thinner and cut down excess wiring in the headlight assembly
-6-speed tranny (if money permits)
-Bike stand: I’m tired of holding the bike up and swapping out gears or replacing tires.
The list goes on…

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:55 pm 

A project is never really over is it! I still have a massive list on my Mitsubishi that will just have to wait until I get back to the states. I've seen pictures of the stock piston before, but I never realized just how small it was until your picture of it next to a 100 yen coin! Can you imagine how tiny the pistons were in the old RC112 50cc twin race bike?

The bike is looking good man! I bet it feels like a completely different animal than the rather docile and tired old bike we first brought home.

Nicely done, keep us updated on any progress or rides you go on!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:20 pm 

Agreed. Projects never end, they just have less shining examples of work needing to be done.

Yesterday was kind of interesting. I found out that back in the early 2000's, Kitaco actually made a new speedometer for the Dream 50. It had the same look and feel as stock but ran up to 140 km/h. With people upgrading the jug it makes sense. The only problem is that it has long since stopped being produced. I wil begin my scouring of the internetz to find one (most likely used). That makes me nervous since old, hard to get Dream parts = sell a kidney price. The original price back in the day was ¥12,000 ($120). Here's hoping i can get it for close to that.

This is stock (left) and Kitaco (on the right):

And this is the Kitaco one next to the stock tachometer:

So with the Kitco being the best option but also the hardest, what other options do I have? Well, there is a company called "Hurricane" that makes decals that stick on the speedo glass like this:

The Hurricane sticker pretty much looks like butt since the sticker numbers and the meter numbers are now on different plains. The was one guy who cut out the numbers, opened up the meter, and placed them on the face. that looked much better, but still not the best.

The third option is this:

The one above is made by Kijima and still available. Im not sure if the blue color will match close enough to the stock Dream Tachometer and the "60 km/h = 1400 rpm" scared me. Now a brand new issue of will the mechanical speedo gear in the front wheel match with the speedometer and give an accurate read?

Since i had no idea of what the gear size was, I had to reverse engineer the information and find out if the Kijima will give an accurate reading. I took the size of the tire on the Dream (2.50-18) and researched Honda bikes with the same from rim and tire size. cmsnl.com again to the rescue. I found that a CG125 shares the same speedo gear as the Dream. Now I just needed to see if the Kijima listed would also be listed for a CG125. No luck :(

After a few hours, I found some Daytona speedometers that would fit the CG125 and, more importantly, they also had the 60 km/h = 1400 rpm. Now, I could be wrong, but this makes me think that the speedo gear in the wheel will accept and work correctly for the Dream. The only trouble I would hit is if the Kijima Speedo itself has different internal gearing (for some reason) that would kill my idea.

I'm planning to go for the speedometer anyway. It bothers me that the needle is not the same type as stock, but I can maybe swap those out.

You might be reading this and thinking, why go through all the trouble, just go electronic or digital? That is an option, true, but I want it to all be the same, and look stock if possible. I've seen my fair share of mix-and-match meters that look more like Fruity Pebbles cereal than a put together bike. Either way, I should have the Kijima meter next week and can give an update then.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:02 pm 

Since there is some question about whether the speedo will be accurate (or accurate enough), I plan to do some runs and record the speed and rpms on video. Then I can analyze if the new one will be off or not. If I can get a car to pace me, I can also see if the stock is off at all or not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:40 pm 

I'm interested to see how the new speedo works and looks! Be sure to keep us updated!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:43 pm 

Well, bad news. I was sick last weekend and inbetween moments of drowsiness, I missed the auction for the blue meter...

I will hunt around a bit more for another one that isn't too expensive or pricey for a used unit. IN the meantime, I found a few more pics of the engine bore-up!

I cannot stress the importance of replacing the oil filter screens. In the pic below, it is the black piece above the drain plug. Back when I was still in Nagoya, David and I replaced the oil pump with a hi-flow Takegawa oil pump. It meant we had to drill out the old bolts and make large oil passageways. One thing led to another but one bolt had to have another bolt welded to it to get it out of the block. We blocked off the motor and cleaned it up as best as possible but during the bore-up, I found that screen (I replaced it back in Nagoya) had caught some tiny shot (slag) from the welder. It kept it from getting cycled in the motor and doing real nasty things. Keep your screens clean!

I mentioned earlier that the cam gears were actually 2 gears together slightly staggered to help with engine chatter. Here are a few better shots of this:

Here you can see the pin that connects the two gears together. (I have no idea why I was using a main stud in this pic)

Naked motor:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:57 pm 

Well, the forum crash took out several post from many threads, this one included. I'm not gonna cry over spilled milk, just say to move forward. The current situation stands that the bike still needs insurance. Funny enough, I’ve been told I can get plate tags through the local convenience store (now that’s convenience!) Imagine getting license plate tabs at the local 7-11 back in the US!

In other news, I never heard back from the guy selling the speedometer so I will just have to keep looking for a better option than the buried needle I have now when the carb opens up. We just experienced a massive typhoon so even if I had insurance, there’s no way in hell the bike would make it 2 minutes in the storm.

I still plan on getting a video up of a night ride, maybe even tonight since I have time ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:28 pm 

Wow, long time no post! haha..

Not too much to post up about. I got the bike insurance sticker/tab. The original post was lost so I may make a new, separate thread another time. Currently, the bike has done enough of a break-in period after the bore up to call it ready for high revving action.

New updates include a magnetic oil drain plug, a bit of cleaning and bar-end mirrors. Pics coming tomorrow of those and the torment my hands felt getting the stock bar-ends off. For now, I will leave you with a snap I took over the weekend at Meiji Jingu where there was a classic car festival. I met both Skorj and Ben there so i will let them tell the tale themselves on that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:42 pm 

The bike has come so far man! I can remember riding it back from the shop you got it from and it not being happy about revving past 8 grand and the brakes feeling slightly sketchy. It was a rough bike that you've turned into a work of art man!

And as simple as it is, I still love the washers glued into the tank strap, haha.

Nicely done man! Looking forward to more pictures!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:37 pm 

Thanks! People should know that you rode the bike home for me because I A: Didn't have a license yet, and B: Never ridden a motorcycle in my life before the purchase!

Skorj also like the tank strap with the washers. Im thinking to pick up a few more straps at $20 each. I would like to find some "tuner" washers that arethe same bright gold color to help match other gold parts. I also want to get one to add in some old style 50 yen coins into the slot. It would be a cool look as well as a nod to where the bike started (as a 50cc bike). The old style 50 yen coins are bigger than the modern ones and still have a hole in the center.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:52 pm 

Greetings. As I hinted earlier, a little work has been done since the last (server deleted) post. This time, I tackled two problems: Ugly mirrors and bar ends. The stock mirrors look like this:

They stick out and up a bit too high for a bike that was meant to be tight and low. Safety-wise, they are very good with visibility. I do not need to move my head or body to see what is around me. That said, I needed a better asthetic solution. My first choice were these black mirrors that I got when I was still living in Nagoya. They were $20 a side and I liked the rectangle look since they mimicked the tank. One problem, they stuck up too high. I tried to heat them and bend the arms down lower so they would be sleeker but that just caused the mirrors to be too close to my hands. They became a safety issue. I also still couldn’t see very well with them  If these mirrors were just 2 cm longer, I would be a happy camper.
Black mirrors:

While at the Tokyo Motor Show last month, I saw a bike that had bar end mirrors. I’m sure I must have seen them before the show but they were new to me. I did a little research via Yahoo Japan Auctions, and a few days later, I had a pair of mirrors for $20 shipped (nice deal!). To install, I needed to get the stock bar ends and weights out of the handle bars and install the new bar ends. Easier said than done.

The first issue was that Honda uses a Phillips head screw on these bar ends.
By nature, the bar ends are meant to be very tight and secure. Other bikes sometimes use hex head screws that can be easily taken care of. I tried a screwdriver, a socket with a bit in it to get more torque on the Phillips head: nothing. I had to be careful not to strip out the screw head, thus, screwing myself. It was a delicate game of brute force and carefully applied pressure. I looked online and one guy suggested using a torch to head up the thread lock (locktite) that was prop. there. I didn’t have a torch but I did have a heatgun I used to fix xbox360s. A little heat, a little movement. More heat, more movement.

After doing that dance, I got the end off. It took a flathead screwdriver and a hammer to get the bar weights out. Seen here:

Note the blue thread lock dust:

One side took about 20 minutes. The other took 25 minutes because of a stubborn clip on the bar weight. Since the new bar end was longer than the stock, it means I cannot re-use the stock weights anymore. I don’t have a replacement weight as of now. The whole point of the weights in the bars is to reduce vibrations felt at high speed. Since my bike doesn’t have the power of a Kawasaki Ninja, I will test the bike out without weights. If I feel I need them, I can go for some new ones online.

The new bar ends use a “pinch and cinch” style of tightening. I will do my best to explain. There is a screw that runs through the center of the bar end. It is attached to a small metal cylinder with a bevelled “nut” at the end. Around the cylinder are a few more metal sleeves with slits cut down their sides. The more you tighten the screw in the center of the bar end, the more the “nut” moves, causing the inner cylinder to push against the outer metal sleeves. The sleeves expand from the slits cut on them and eventually touch and grab onto the iside walls of the handle bar. All the screws on the new bar ends were hex nut so I had to be creative on how I could reach the hex nut and get enough torque to make metal expand. Another 20 minutes and both bar ends were on!

Here is the new bar end:

The mirrors are a bit creative. The mirror and the arm it is attached to have no pivot movement. Instead, there are two mounting points: On the side or on the end (end hole can be seen in above picture). Since the arm is bent, you adjust the mirror by rotating the bar end and mirror arm until you find the desired position.

In my case, I didn’t want to have the mirrors mounted to the end as they would stick out too far. I went for the side mount position and currently on top. It was getting dark so I didn’t have time to adjust for visibility, just asthetics. Since I get home when it is dark after work, I will have to figure out the best position over the weekend. That might meen mounting from under the handle bars or even using the end of the bar mounting position. I will update again.

I got the gold color because it is a perfect match with the rear sprocket. Currently, the bike doesn’t have enough gold and looks a little out of place. I plan on doing more gold parts where it, hopefully, will look more coherent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:19 pm 

I got an idea on how to add a little more gold to the bike. The testing begins...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:41 pm 

Welp, Im gonna reveal what I was working on, in text for now. See, as I wrote, the bike has a few more gold items but feels a little disjointed. I need more in order to tie everything together. My idea was to paint some things using metallic gold paint to get that cheddar gold color that my mirrors have (I don't have Gold Fever like Scrooge McDuck though).

My idea was to get a new tank strap and bling it up. The tank straps all have a recessed pocket going down the strap. On my bike now, I took silver washers and glued them in with silicone to replicate the original CR110 bike tank straps that had spacers in the recessed areas. Like this:

Since I already tried washers, I wanted something more custom and unique. I thought: Old 50 yen coins painted gold. See, both the new and old 50 yen coins have holes in the center. The problem is the new 50 yen coins are too small in diameter. As I found out this weekend, the old 50 yen coins are too big! All coins are either too big or too small. The 100 yen coin pictured above is almost a perfect fit but still a bit too big for the tank strap recesses.

I have 2 options: Go ahead with the 100 yen coins and try filing down the ridges to knock down the diameter a bit to fit in the recesses; OR, get my washers out again and paint those gold and rock that. What do you guys think?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next