#
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:51 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: The stuff that Dreams are made of... (1997 Honda Dream 5
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:59 pm 

Thanks Dave! I plan on getting a nice little series of videos going of just touring around the city and local countryside.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:52 pm 

Greetings all. After playing with the tank strap paint job, I figured it was time to try out a few more parts. The weather outside is still not ideal for painting so I decided to try and make a better system of painting inside so when the time came, I could install and have a nice new facelift for Springtime riding.

A little background: Apartments in Japan are pricey, more so in the city and most in Tokyo. Just getting your foot in the door will cost around $3500-4000 in fees, “traditional” extortion, etc. Keeping your apartment clean and trouble free MIGHT allow you to get some of that money back. In my case, I argued that I didn’t wanna pay the full damages deposit because it was $1500 alone, so the company said I could pay them $400 but it would not be refundable. Great deal… That’s actually not too bad since the mentality is that no one here wants to live in a place that’s ‘used’. Commonly, when you move out, a mandatory stripping of wallpaper and refreshing takes place so you’re never gonna see a full damage deposit refund anyway.

Back to painting. If I was gonna paint inside, I needed to control the fumes and the paint from settling on appliances and cabinets. My solution was to build a paint booth in my kitchen using the overhead fan for the stovetop.

First, I took a trashbag and cut it up to make sheeting. Taping it in a C-shape around the fan hood made a nice wall. Next I took an old box that would catch most of the directional paint. Finally, I hung some wire to hang parts from. The result was this:

Next, I needed to prep some parts for painting. A quick hit with some sandpaper to knock down paint and rough up the surface.

After drying completely and a wipe off to take any dust away, it was time to paint. I turned on the fan on low at first to see how the paint floated. With the fan on high, the paint was being sucked up too fast and struggled to contact the bike parts. The fan was set, time to paint.

I mixed up some paint and used the same aerosol airbrush rig as above.

You can tell I live alone haha. I think some women would scream at me for doing this in a kitchen but honestly, it worked out great! I took a wetted rag with paint thinner to see if any of the paint fell onto the countertop, floor, cabinets, etc. To my shock, the only place that had paint, and just a few traces, were just below the sheeting where paint may have hit the sheeting and fallen in dry form. An easy fix would be to put something under the sheeting.

The one negative is, that paint that gets sucked up has to go somewhere and that somewhere was up into the fan. In this picture, you can see some paint powdering that made contact with the fan grill. Some also hit the fan itself.

The paint actually came off really easily and since the grill and fan guard are meant to be serviced, it all came off and was washed in the sink. All traces of the gold came off with about 10 minutes of cleaning. That seems like a fair trade off to be able to paint in a temperature controlled area with no lingering fumes or damage. The piece in the pic above is about the biggest I can go before I feel the kitchen space could be compromised.

I am letting the paint cure before adding the clear coats so in the meantime, I’m in Guam on vacation!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:21 am 

Hello! The beach was nice but back to cold, wintery Japan. I was able to get some parts finished and installed finally!

And on the bike:

And the snow I was battling:

The gold is coming along but as I started on more parts, the airbrush gave out. I guess it was too good to be true to have a cheap, cost efficient method of painting. Oh well. It 's obvious that the clutch cover needs some paint but that will wait until I get my airbrush situation taken care of.

Before the airbrush died, i was able to get a few more pieces that I was working on during the freezing weather.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:30 am 

Aaaand the pics:

Sorry for the night time shot. I needed to get the oil cover on before it rained! So is the fate of having no garage..

That pretty much brings us up to date. On another little project, I noticed a few new styles of LED headlight popping up here and there. The thing was, most are for H4 and my headlight is an SB series. So, it was time to ditch the plastic yahoo auction knock off Sev Marchal and get......a REAL Sev Marchal ;)

boy oh boy, the build quality is awesome. Real glass with an embossed divot with metal emblem. The sections fit like a glove and even came with nice new hardware and a harness. The rubber seal is a nice touch and they even threw in a sticker to go on my laptop!

Now all I need is that fancy LED setup...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:42 am 

As of a few days or so, the LED came in. The LED is pretty neat in that it has a Hi/Lo function and pulls about the same wattage (30w) as stock but is so much brighter and less of a "drag" draw on power. The body is aluminum and has a screw-in fan to help pull any heat away from the unit. The LED is a CREE which are known for their blinding brightness. I bought a CREE LED flashlight and was sold immediately. It basically makes a dark room feel like the sun is shinning inside. An this headlight unit has 2!

The external box is for the "driver" that controls the LED. I have seen some that advertise that the driver is in the body but I went with this so I could keep the important electronics away from any excessive heat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:46 am 

I haven't had time to install it yet though. The amount of connectors and plugs that came with the Dream are massive. No wonder the bike looks so clean, everything was stuffed into the stock headlight bucket! I need to get some weatherproof connectors and relocate most if not all the wires and connectors under the tank. To be continued the next weekend it gets a little sunny!
Image[/url]

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4