#
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The stuff that Dreams are made of... (cafe racer UPDATED
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:41 pm 

A small, small update:

I took a few 100 yen coins and ground the coin edge down a bit and they looked like crap. They fit in the strap pockets but since the grind was not perfectly even, the flaws showed very easily.

I mocked up what I was planning to do with the coins (having the faces reversed every other pocket). Keep in mind they are in a natural silver but I plan to paint them gold if I go through with grinding them. To give an idea of how the 100 yen coins look, see here:

The next test was to use 5 yen coins. They have a hole in the center like the 50 yen coins and the size is about perfect. My only trouble is, teh design on the coin is a sprig of rice. That's it. Visually, I think it looks cool but not as interesting as the 100 yen coin. The reverse side is extremely boring, that's why in the example, all coins are showing the same face. Any comments??

Post subject: Re: The stuff that Dreams are made of... (December UPDATED!)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:12 pm 

I like the second option. Sort of looks like a shotgun shell. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:13 am 

Thanks John! That makes 2 people that like the 5 yenners. I like the bullet cartridge idea. Maybe I can fashion the gas tank valve lever to use a bullet. Would make a few think twice before attempting to play with the bike. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:25 pm 

Well, let me know if you need any spent shells. :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:25 pm 

Funny thing is, there is a market for spent shells here. There are enough guys that are into military stuff that they eat it up. Paintballing and pellet/BB guns are at a rediculous level of realism.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:10 pm 

saw these browsing etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/16009938 ... ref=market

edit:
saw these swell
http://www.lillypillydesigns.com/soanalro.html

same about the extra hole.

great thread keep it up.

pete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:19 am 

Wow! Those blanks are pretty cheap and them being colored makes them that much more easier to manage.

I would have given the link more consideration but I just completed my collection of 5 yen coins last night. I wanted to just get them as change but with the new year coming up, people have been hording them for Jan. 1st (Most Japanese trek to their local shrine and toss 5 yen coins to make a wish. To be "luckier", you should toss in 20 to get your wish heard by the gods, lol). Either way, I got them soaking in some vinegar to clean them up a bit. If the weather holds and Tokyo does not have a snowy wekeend, I can get them painted as well.

If the painting goes well, expect more parts to get a similar treatment. Stay tuned! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:37 pm 

A happy new year to all! 2013 came and went like a super tuned CR110! Over the holidays, I made a few little modifications here and there, now time to share.

The 5 yen coins cleaned up rather well! Vinegar did the trick overnight.

I originally tested a coin by hand painting them (See previous post). This time, I wanted to use a poor-man’s airbrush I had in the cabinet for a while. The cost of it was around $30 and runs off a can of compressed gas. Pretty neat for a complete setup for the same price as a nice dinner.

I had to thin the paint solution down a bit since the paint on its own was too thick for the airbrush pickup and spray pattern.
Since this was my first time to use an airbrush and the setup, I was pleasantly surprised to find out how well it all worked out. I got a nice, thin, clean coverage over the coins without losing any detailing on the surface. I had spent most of my life using spray paint and now feel that was a mistake. Sure, the coverage is much greater than a small airbrush, but the quality of the coverage was miles better. Not only that, I could adjust the airbrush nozzle to control my coverage and paint spray pattern. This is after the first pass with the gold paint.

After a few coats, I swapped out the gold for clear coat. I put a few coats of that down as well and let it sit under the room heater to properly cure.
Next, it was time to set the coins in the tank strap securely. The easiest and best solution is to use silicone. It is flexible so it can handle outside temperatures and the effects that does on the silicone as well as the strap itself (possible expansion/contraction). I went with some black silicone found at a local hardware store near Fuji Speedway (was on assignment for work there) and after some careful eyeballing, got them all set into the tank strap without much fuss!

Winter in Japan has shown her ugly face here, and in a big way. It is now below freezing during the daytime at its warmest and well below freezing at night. I haven’t gotten out to installing the strap quite yet because of this so just some shots of a painted coin color matched to the bar ends will have to do (photo doesn’t do the color justice, it is a spot on match).

Overall, I am happy with the results and am anxious to get it installed and give the paint a chance to perform in the elements. If it holds up well, I plan on getting more paint on more parts here and there (mostly parts that are cosmetic/do not experience much contact). Such items would be the Mickey Mouse cover, chain guard, brake fluid reservoir, Color matching rear coilovers, air horn, etc. And finally, obligatory shot taken on the Fuji Speedway track:

Post subject: Re: The stuff that Dreams are made of... (Jan. 2014 UPDATED!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:08 pm 

Good morning,

The skies had parted, and finally, I was able to attach the tank strap to the bike and get a look at the handy work. I will let the pictures do most of the talking.

New strap and old strap (both were modified from the original)

Close up detail:

On the bike:

This pic better shows the color matching and real world look:

And one more..

I plan on getting more paint on the bike in the next few months. The coins in the strap are still going to be the test mule for the paint as the temperature continues to drop and is subject to rain, snow, and friction. It is still possible that the paint could fail. If that happens, I will try the gold paint again with some clearcoat high temp engine paint.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:12 pm 

Had a bit of work done on something non-related to the bike, but an interesting read (I hope):
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23775&p=190513#p190513

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:52 pm 

Last weekend was the Tokyo Auto Salon. TAS over the past 2 years in particular has taken the lead as the best motor show to see in Japan, surpassing the Tokyo Motor Show even. Back in the day, the Tokyo Motor Show was the show to see with the most flash and money splashing around. Since the 2011 earthquake though, the TMS has taken a more refined, subdued atmosphere. Really, it has become a bit boring. The Auto Salon has pressed ahead and become that new outlet for wacky cars, barely clothed girls, and a true example of the car culture spirit.

But this is not a thread on TAS, it is a thread on my bike build so on with the show!

While I was there, I ran across a small company that makes GoPro mounts. A little background: I have struggled to find a decent GP mount that fits well with my bike. Because I have clip-on handle bars and tight areas, the available mounts are not small enough or have enough flexibility to reach into small areas. At best, I have 3 places I can mount to but they are either not that great for video or obstruct my body and can compromise my riding in some way.

The guys at Andechs You had a fantastic display of mounts for auto, motor bike, and bicycle. They even had gun mounts! They were very helpful and we decided for my bike, it would be best to go with a Bolt hole base mount. It was rather simple. It had the GP mount configuration with a M10 hole at the base. With it, the GP camera can mount to any bold on the bike. It comes with an M8 and M6 adapter ring giving even more flexibility.

Attached to the camera case:

The M10 size is interesting because that is the standard size for the stock mirror mounts. Since I now have bar end mirrors, that position is now available. Even better, I can take apart my old mirrors and use the arms as an extension! I was going to toss the old mirrors but repurposing them is even better!

Here is an example of it using the old mirror arm and mount:

And the kind of shot I got from it:

Here’s a mount off the frame using an old mount tab for the now long-gone airbox:

And a shot of the carb:

And a few more from the same mount spot:

Camera view:

The mount is small, simple, but opens up a wide range of shots and unique filming. Once again, I had an appointment to get to so actual video will have to wait until I find a free day. For the price of a mount($15) and $10 in buying extra hex head bolts, washers, and crush washers, I can say there is virtually no angle I cannot get on my bike. Well worth it.

You can see all they have to offer here:
http://www.an-y.com/

If you are seriously interested, I could help in getting some stuff for people.

Post subject: Re: The stuff that Dreams are made of... (1997 Honda Dream 5
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:53 pm 

Another day, another small update. Sometimes I think the hunt is better than the kill. What I mean is, I sometimes get more excited in the brainstorming process or finding materials than the final product. In this case, I’m talking about the GoPro setup. I got the camera, the mount, even some repurposed bits and pieces. The last piece of the puzzle is in the form of a microphone.

A little background. Back in 1999, I visited Japan for the first time. Everything thing was new, Speed was the big Jpop act, and there was no filter to what I took in. This was also the time that Japan was having a MiniDisc boom. You couldn’t go anywhere without seeing the units for sale, blank discs, accessories, etc. You see, back then, Japan was waaaaaaay behind the curve of the internet and computer technology. The average price for internet, dial-up, was over $100 USD. People just didn’t use it. PCs were in the home but sat mostly unused like the trophy piano. That means MP3s were also absent. People had just one option before MiniDisc and that was cassette tape. Once MiniDiscs hit, being able to make a 24-bit digital copy, track selectable songs, and customizable; it was on!

Cue a younger me. I wanted the new hot Japanese thing. That meant a portable and recordable MiniDisc player. I hit Akihabara with a grip of cash and a mission. After a few hours of browsing, I settled on a Sharp player since it also had English menus. The price was $379 USD. I proceeded to spend another $250 USD on everything under the sun in accessories. Transfer cables, fiber optics cable (for recording from a PS2!), 70 blank discs to covert my whole collection of Columbia House mail order CDs, extra batteries, power converters, and….a Panasonic microphone. This sucker was a whopping $75 USD. It was small like a Starburst, the shape of a cube and had Omni and Shotgun directional mic abilities. My plan was to use it for recording lectures and just fooling around.

Jump about 8 years ahead and my collection of MDs sit in a box gathering dust. That cool mic? Long gone. I cannot say where it went 100% but it is gone. The best mic I have ever seen, period. Jump another 8 years and here we are today, in need of a mic again with nothing to show for it. I head over to the local big box electronic store and find a bit of a puzzle: I can’t seem to find the small mics. The issue before was Japan was pretty low tech, now Japan is too high tech. Cell phones all have recording capabilities and the need for a personal small mic is all but gone. After 20 minutes, I found the voice recorders with, no jokoe, nothing but old people browsing there. I guess they prefer to use them still to the new fangled “youngin’s toys”. Some were pin mics, many were only mono. Just a few were actual mini mics with a few even still saying for MD use! After carefully reading all the options on 3 I was looking at, I paid the shop staff and made my way home. This is what I grabbed:

I decided on this because it was a stereo mic that had an elbow that articulated to 90 degrees. It also had enough body that I could attach it to my bike with either some kind of clamp or even electrical tape.

Here it is on the GP body:

And here is how I plan to mostly use it:

With a female-to-female adapter and a male-to-male extension cable, I can now run the mic anywhere on the bike while the camera can be in a different position. On a car, that means a mic in the engine bay for engine revs while taking a POV shot in the car. On the bike, I can get revs from anywhere on the bike, exhaust notes, and even intake suction.

Total cost: $35USD

Im itching to get out and ride the damn thing now and get some fantastic footage. For now, I will just have to settle for a fun hunt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:09 pm 

Ah, the Mini Disc boom. When I first came to Japan in 2004 (Christ, that was 10 years ago...), I caught just the tail end of the Mini Disc boom. It seemed like people were ready for the next big thing to take over, but the infrastructure wasn't there, so people were just kind of in limbo, holding on to their Mini Discs for lack of a better option. Computers were still relegated to the corners of rooms and widely unused, which I found completely alien.

Nice purchase on the mic! Makes me want to get one too. I really want to get back into making videos and the one major pitfall of the GoPro is the mic. What you've got is an excellent fix! I'm looking forward to videos and that sweet sound of 14,000 rpm!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:55 am 

Awesome Bike! I have always wanted one of these but I dont think they came to Canada / aren't legal here. I know there is a race version here in North America, but it isnt street legal either.

I love small displacement bikes. I have way more fun riding my Suzuki A100 than any of my larger displacement oldschool bikes.

Keep up the great work!

(If your bike ever accidentialy found its way into a seacan heading for Canada, I will take care of it for you!)

1987 BMW 325is E30
1976 Suzuki A100

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:07 am 

Sideglide wrote:
I decided on this because it was a stereo mic that had an elbow that articulated to 90 degrees. It also had enough body that I could attach it to my bike with either some kind of clamp or even electrical tape.

With a female-to-female adapter and a male-to-male extension cable, I can now run the mic anywhere on the bike while the camera can be in a different position. On a car, that means a mic in the engine bay for engine revs while taking a POV shot in the car. On the bike, I can get revs from anywhere on the bike, exhaust notes, and even intake suction.

Total cost: $35USD

Im itching to get out and ride the damn thing now and get some fantastic footage. For now, I will just have to settle for a fun hunt.

You may want to cut the finger off of a latex glove and stretch it over the foam to protect it from moisture and excessive wind noise. I have a similar mic in my flight helmet, and when hanging my face out of the side of the helicopter on a gun-run the wind really interferes with voice clairity. You might not have the same problem, but it might be something to experement with!

1987 BMW 325is E30
1976 Suzuki A100

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:07 pm 

Nakazato: Thanks! Im looking forward to weather that will let me actually ride at 14,000 rpm hehe.

Primo_toy: If I ever get back to the US, I might need to look into shipping it to Canada first, then the US. I wonder if the importing rules apply in Canada are the same for bikes as they are for cars...
I will have to try the rubber glove trick, does the audio still sound OK with the glove tip on?

Funny you should mention wind cause I went ahead and tried to make my own wind sock! There was no actual sock for my mic model and similar socks for voice recorders are upwards of $50! Ouch.

I looked up DIY versions on youtube and was surprised at the results people were getting. Most people either used a foam wrap for mics that never came with a foam cover and/or fake fur around the mic. Since i already had the foam cover, i decided to try and make a fake fur wind sock. It turns out, the best kind of fake fur for mics is called "dead cat" fur. It is similar to long-haired cat fur; fluffy and thin. A trip down to the craft store netted some strips of the stuff. Unfortunately, the strips were on the thin side but it could work.

On my way home, I stopped by the dollar store and found some foam curlers that would work great as the structure of the cover.

First, I cut a curler and it's inner structure. I decided to use the foam as well since it just seemed to add more wind protection.

Next, I glued (super glue) the cut end to make a kind of cone shape.

After that, I started to wrap a strip of fur around the diameter of the curler. Finally, I added a patch to the top of the foam. Since the mic only has receivers on the sides, the top didn't matter so much but who knows.

I wasnt super satisfied with the first version since it seemed to be a bit short so I went and made another a bit longer. This time, it was long enough but I had troubles with the glue playing nicely. They are not the prettiest, but hopefully they work OK.

On to the testing:
I decided to test voice and varying levels of blowing onto the mic from about a foot away. This would help me gauge the distance the mic could be from an audible source and wind suppression from speed.
blowing strengths: Low=cooling your soup, Mid=getting a spider off your arm, Hi=blowing up a beachball

First, no foam sock. Bare mic.
Talking: Clear
Low wind: decent
Mid wind: Bad
Hi wind: Forget it

Second - Stock foam cover on mic
Talking: Clear but a tiny bit less base
Low wind: Great
Mid wind: Some noise
Hi wind: Pretty Bad

Third - Home made "dead cat" fur sock with foam core
Talking: Clear but less base
Low wind: No wind detected
Mid wind: No wind detected
Hi wind: Some noise

I concluded that my results were pretty spot on with others that tried this DIY experiment. Im not sure the wind sock will stand up to high speeds but the wind may be secondary to the audible source (engine/exhaust). If I position the mic near the intake or engine body in a covered area, I dont think wind will be any trouble. If I position near the exhaust, who knows.

The sock construction is OK but I want another shot. I see women out and about with the same type of fur on keychains in a ball shape (fuzzy balls!) so if I want to experiment more, I might start with something already in the shape I want. There also might just be limitations to any wind sock that cannot be overcome.

Total cost: $5 USD ($3 for the fur, $1 for the curlers, $1 for glue)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 am 

I would try the test with your small foam sock and a rubber glove tip stretched over the foam... not too tight, you dont want to compress the foam otherwise it wont let sound in... you might need to experiment with what finger to cut off to fit it over the mic.

I love your "Dead Cat" mic!

1987 BMW 325is E30
1976 Suzuki A100

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:47 pm 

Welp, last night was a milestone. On the kindness of Skorj letting me use his drill and the confidence to drill into fragile acrylic plastic, the video recording 'rig' is complete. First, apologies that there are no photos or film yet, I was having trouble with the video editing software. But be assured you will see a post in 12 hours of the first ride.

The decision to drill into the water tight GoPro case came when discovering a skeleton case would cost around $55-60. There was only one case for sale on Yahoo Auction in Japan but the final price went for $40 and it was beat up. I decided that I would drill the case i have, and if I need a water tight case, I would address that issue later.

The ride was a good experiment. I positioned the mic next to the intake. That are is a bit sheltered from the wind around the bike but it also had to deal with the suction from the intake. I can happily say, there was no wind noise to speak of, none. Having the mic setup on the outside of the bike, say, near the exhaust could produce some wind noise, but that test will come later.

All told, I have about $70-80 bucks into this rig. It should allow me to get great shots in areas that normal GoPro mounts cannot go yet and get true engine sound instead of the vacuum tank sound a standard case can only achieve.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:26 pm 

Finally! I got a video up on youtube of a test run using the camera. I had to kick and fight just to get the GoPro Studio 2.0 to work. What a piece of junk. Since they save as MP4, Movie Maker does not automatically use the file. I dunno how these teens with their vlogs do it!

Anyway, the video is short, just meant to be a test. The camera is mounted off the stock side mirror mount and the mic is positioned in front of the intake.

Click below:
http://youtu.be/P0NYWFF0-Zg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:29 pm 

Now that is awesome!
Once you get above 4 grand, that thing sounds amazing! So much more power than stock and it revs so cleanly. Oh man, I'm really looking forward to more videos now! That is assuming you can wrestle the GoPro video format. I have no idea how all these tweens can knock out Youtube videos so easily either!

Cheers,
David

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 66 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next