#
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: My newest toy (Dream 50 -> CB125T)!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:00 pm 

Who knows. Maybe they thought it would give more torque to the little 50cc engine? :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 pm 

john wrote:
Who knows. Maybe they thought it would give more torque to the little 50cc engine? :P

All I can say is I'm glad I decided not to use the original exhaust! Well, at least not use the original exhaust in original form.

A bite sized update this morning! I got another two pieces welded on to the exhaust.

It's slowly starting to take shape and really go the way I want it to.

It actually took a bit of work for these two pieces. I welded them on and just hated how it was turning out. So I sliced them right back off, cleaned it all up again and took another shot at it. I'm glad I did because I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Next up is continuing these two pieces around the side and then figuring out how to build a collector from scratch. Fortunately, it only has to collect two pipes, so it shouldn't be too hard!

Cheers
David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:59 pm 

Wow, this build is great! Keep up the good work. :tu:

72-87 Civic
84-87 CRX
86-89 Integra
79-87 Prelude
76-89 Accord

Parts, cars, collectibles and more!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:27 pm 

Time to bring this old thread back from the dead!

Although, it might be confusing to follow exactly what’s happened up to this point, so I’ll do a quick recap.

Back in April of 2012, I really wanted to get back on two wheels, but since I didn’t actually have a motorcycle license, I was limited to 50 cc bikes. Turns out Honda makes a 50 cc that rides and feels like a full size bike called the Dream 50. The Dream is modeled after the old Honda CR110 from the 1960s, which is one of the best looking bikes ever made in my opinion. So, I picked one up!

Over the next year I made a bunch of mods to the bike. This mostly involved a Mikuni carb, Moriwaki racing pipes, a Kitaco coil, smaller front sprocket, fender and airbox elimination, new rear tail light and blinkers, CB250RR tachometer, CB250RS rear shocks and front outer springs. The bike was felt very tight and both the handling and engine response were very good.

Of course, I then got ambitious and wanted something a bit more faithful to the old Honda racers of the 60s. So, I decided to buy an old Honda CB125T and convert it using parts from the Dream. It started like this:

After quite a bit of custom work I got to here:

And then the project stalled hard. The problem was I received another car and wanted to button up my Bellett before starting on the other car, which pushed the bike to number three in line. That means it got rolled out back where it sat for a very long time. After a while, rust set into the frame and it got to the point that it wasn’t worth saving anymore. I decided that I would keep the tank, wheels, seat, etc. and send them back to America where I would go about building a new bike based on a CB350F.

Having made that decision, I justified my ignoring of the bike for an even longer time. Then, last Thursday, the weather is beautiful and I’m wishing I could be outside enjoying it. Instead, I decided to read through Sideglide's build thread (click here to check it out, it's awesome!) on his Dream 50 and it sparks an idea. I think to myself “I’ve still got most of the parts for the Dream, why don’t I put it back together and then roll that for this summer!” Of course, I want to spend as little money as possible getting it going again as I’d like to dedicate every spare yen I have to getting the Bellett done.

I get off work and race straight home to get started. I strip the CB down, pulling parts like a mad man. Then I get Miki to help me drag the hulk of a frame and engine out of the garage and I bring in the Dream frame. I’m bolting bits on furiously, but naturally, I’m coming up short on parts. I got it to this point by Thursday night:

I took stock of what all I was missing and it was a pretty daunting list.

Front handlebars, throttle and grips – Sold to a buddy
Kitaco coil – Sold to Sideglide for his Dream
Front outer springs and forks – Traded to Slideglide in exchange for his old forks
Moriwaki muffler – Sold on YAJ
Mikuni carb – Donated to Sideglide for his bore up
Chain guard – Scrapped
Headlight and turn signal mount – Scrapped
Key and meter mount – Scrapped
Front fender – Scrapped

Some of those things would cost a bit of money to knock out. However, when I sold my Moriwaki pipes, they sold for 30,000 yen, so I set a goal for myself to keep the total amount of money required to get this bike going for under 30,000 yen. This meant I had to get a bit inventive! I worked fast and hard and didn’t take many pictures, so I’ll try to paint a good picture for each of those problem bits up top using a story.

I started by purchasing a set of used clip on handle bars for a Yamaha RZ50 on Yahoo Auctions. Cost? 4,500 yen shipped. Not to mention they arrived on Saturday! I immediately ran into a problem running the handle bars though. Because they weren’t designed for the Dream, the mounting bolts on the handle bars smash into the tank at full lock. The solution was to just mount the handle bars lower. I have really long amrs, so this isn’t much of a problem for me.

Then, to round out the handlebars, I bought a set of grips and a twist throttle from the local motorcycle shop, Shabon Dama. Of course, at Shabon Dama you can always catch something awesome in the parking lot, like this insanely rare Bimota. Check out the front swing arm!

The next problem I had was a headlight mount. While at Shabon Dama I also bought a generic headlight mount and a new coil. I went to mount the headlight, but it turns out that with the handle bars in the position they were in, the headlight mount tried to occupy the same space as the brake master cylinder fittings. So, the headlight mount had to go above the handlebars.

That handled most of my problems, but I was still missing exhaust pipes. Fortunately, I still had my original twin pipes hanging about, so those went back on. Then, to cover the intake side of things, the original carb went back on. All that needed to be done now was to figure out the wiring and build a key and meter mount.

After spending a few hours sorting the wiring out completely and building a new key mount from some cheap steel that I picked up at the local home center, the bike was done! I managed to keep the cost just under 30,000 yen too, so technically, doing this cost me nothing!

As you can see, the headlight sits about 2 cm too high, but given the state of affairs going on up there, I’m quite happy with the result (honestly, I'd prefer to remove the headlight altogether). In the future, I may put a tiny headlight lower and put on a full cowl like the old racers, but that's money, time and effort.

The engine purrs like nothing was ever wrong. She starts on the first kick everytime, cold or hot. I’m also quite happy with how my key and meter mount turned out. Not bad for something built in a hurry on a minimal budget.

I took the bike for a few test runs up and down the sidewalk and it feels great! Aside from a few cosmetic things I may (or may not) address, I’m super happy with how it turned out. It will serve the purpose of giving me something fun and light to ride around until it’s time to move back to Texas.

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

Today's garage soundtrack:
Cake - Motorcade of Generosity
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHm_bjL ... 5ARiqh-9O9

Post subject: Re: My newest toy (Dream 50 -> CB125T -> Dream 50)!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:36 am 

Thanks for the thread homie. That things is the tits! I want one now :tu:

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12289
^Heres my build thread^

Packergreg wrote:
Hezath wrote:
Wagons pull the bitches

That's how they got the old expression "Wagons Ho!"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:15 pm 

Thanks for the comment Travmac!

Time for a completely unrelated post! My good buddy back in Texas has a CX500 and he’s been tossing around ideas about how best to build it. He’s made a few quick and dirty photoshops and this got me thinking about how I would build a CX500 if money were no object. Money is very much so an object with his build, but with the wonderful tool of Photoshop, it isn’t for me. This was my result!

The main frame and engine are from the CX500, the front forks and front and rear wheels are from a CB750, the tank and seat are from the Honda RC161 and the monoshock rear is from a different custom built CX500.

I think it looks pretty rad and would love to build this someday!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:43 pm 

the cx500 is shaft drive or chain?

for some reason i think shaft drive.

def a cool looking bike.

love the dream 50. made me look on yahoo auctions and roll on roll off stuff for one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:58 pm 

76RA24 wrote:
the cx500 is shaft drive or chain?
for some reason i think shaft drive.
def a cool looking bike.
love the dream 50. made me look on yahoo auctions and roll on roll off stuff for one.

Thanks for the comments on the Dream! The CX500 is definitely a shaft drive bike, which means that spoke wheels have to be custom made for it. Finding pictures of that is quite tough though, so I just lifted the spoke wheels from a CB750 for the Photoshop. I think it would be a cool bike to build, but it'd definitely be far, far too expensive, haha.

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:00 pm 

I have been riding this little beast pretty much every nice weather day after work that I can! She runs better now than she ever has. She starts on the first kick every time without fail. If I tuck, I can hit a solid 85 km/h, which is flying for a stock 50cc engine and carb with the sprocket changed for acceleration instead of top end. I snapped this pic at the end of a nice cruise I had after work last week.

Don't be deceived by the photo though. It looks like a proper full sized bike, but let me assure you, this thing is indeed tiny. It's not that it's scaled down because it actually shares the same size wheels and wheelbase as the old 1960s 125 twin race bikes Honda was building. Those bikes were tiny too though, haha. To give a bit of scale, this last Sunday while I was working on my Bellett, my buddy (who came over to work on his Mazdaspeed Atenza) took a snap of me tucking as hard as I could on it.

Now keep in mind that I'm a huge dude, coming in a at a massive 6'4" (or about 194 cm for the metric minded).

Since the bike is running so beautifully after having been neglected for so long, I thought I'd buy her something nice. A few clicks on Yahoo Auctions and a few days later this shows up at my door!

Yup, full race cowl! I popped it on right quick and balanced it on some spare boxes I had laying around to give a rough idea of how it would look. I think it's going to look completely awesome!

I can't wait to get to work on this thing. It was pretty cheap because it's an FRP replica of the much more expensive cowls and it didn't come with any mounting hardware. So, I have to create all the mounts and braces from scratch, which will be exciting.

Also, I have to ditch the headlight in favor of something smaller that I can place under the cowl and I have to find an inventive way to mount the turn signals. Regardless, I think it'll look pretty sweet when all said and done!

Thanks for reading guys!
David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:40 pm 

So, last weekend I was helping a buddy swap an XR50 engine into his CB50, so I didn't get a chance to work on the cowl. I did however sneak out of work early yesterday and got some very basic work done. I'm starting by building a frame for the cowl out of aluminum and steel brackets as they are light enough to bend by hand and get the adjustments correct. Then, once I get the whole frame built like this, I will use it as a template to build something far more substantial.

Here you can see the square aluminum stock I'm using for the frame part that rides against the cowl and the black steel that I've bent to attach to the bike frame.

After drilling a few holes I slid the cowl over for a test fit and then wheeled the bike outside to check alignment.

It's pretty close to being spot on actually. I think the front needs to come up a hair and the back down a tad, but that's awfully simple with the setup I have now. It's only connected to the bike at one point, so next I need to build another connection point to the frame to lock the cowl position in place. Here you can see the black bracket heading in to the bike. That's the single connection point, which allows me a lot of freedom in bending and adjusting to get the position spot on.

After I get the base part of the frame built, I need to build a frame that moves up towards the headlight area to hold that section solid as well. Once it's all built, it's coming apart again to build it up properly one more time out of something far stronger than the cheap aluminum I'm using.

I'm really digging the way it looks though! I think with a bit more work, this can turn into something completely awesome!

Thanks for looking guys!

Cheers,
David

Today's garage soundtrack:
Anlogik - Newseeland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChqrbYHuQ1E

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:31 am 

Totally unrelated post, but I thought I7d post up an inspirational photo of my all-time favorite non-Japanese bike.

The Motobecane:

Of course, if we include Japanese bikes, my all time favorite bike is the Honda RC166.

250cc inline six cylinder pumping out an unbelievable 60+ hp! Out of a 250!

What a work of art!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:08 pm 

We left off last time with the cowl just barely attached by one bolt to the frame. I bent up two pieces of metal and bolted them together to get the length right and added those in for another frame point to mount the cowl.

This made the front half of the cowl very sturdy, but the lower stay still had a bit of flex in it. So, I bent up another piece to triangulate that piece against the frame. One side of the cowl is bolted to an aluminum cross bar, which is bolted to the frame at three points. That makes the cowl attached to the frame at six points total. It feels completely rock solid! I bent up all new steel of the appropriate lengths for the stays and then sprayed some black on the aluminum cross bars, creating a version 1.5 of my stays.

Next, I had to build a stopper for the handlebars that stopped them short of the stock stopper or else the handles crashed into the cowl. A little piece of steel and a bolt solved that problem right quick! These are very similar to the factory HRC stops. Please excuse the rusty bolt head, the only bolts I had long enough to work were used. I will replace those once I take another trip to the home center.

I sprayed some silver paint on the outside and black paint on the inside of the cowl and then bolted it up to v.1.5 of my cowl stays.

Here you can see the black stays really disappear in there. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out.

The handle bars were actually too low in those photos, so I did some quick readjusting of those and ended up with this.

The bike really draws attention now! Even on my short test runs around the neighborhood (which proved the stays to be 100% solid), everyone looks at the bike! It draws a ton of attention but it's so slow that it doesn't draw any of the unwanted attention, haha.

It's not all show though, I got up onto a major road (where you have to drive nearly double the limit just to keep up) and opened her up. I tucked in hard and even without a windscreen on it, I picked up an extra 500 rpm on the top end. If my math is right, that puts me right at 90 km/h! That's flying for a 50! I changed sprockets to one that favors acceleration over top speed, but seeing as how it tops out 5th pretty easily now, I think I'll have to switch back and sacrifice a bit of acceleration for top end.

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

Today's garage soundtrack
Aesop Rock - Skelethon
Link: http://youtu.be/CYNBOAoXReQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:06 am 

Looks great David, and 90kph is pretty quick for a little 50cc! I assume you're intending to put a wraparound screen on it when you're done? Have you thought about the headlight mount yet and how you'll integrate the turn signals on the front? You could probably find some little LED turn signals that would blend in, not be as noticeable and not draw much power at all (and you could put LED signals at the back too)...? I'm not a big bike guy, but I would think ANY help to the charging system on a 50cc would be a help! :P

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3