#
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: My 1985 Yamaha Moto 4 and my adventures with it so far...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:13 am 

Hey guys. I thought I'd go ahead and show you my first "motorcycle". And I put quotes because it is technically a category of motorcycle...But it isn't. When most people think of motorcycle they think 2 wheels - Yamaha R1 or Honda V4 Interceptor. But this is different. This is my 4-wheeled 1985 Yamaha YFM80N/Moto 4/Badger 80.

Now since it is only 80cc it's not very fast. And since I really have no experience with bikes (again, it's my first one) I get really scared when I try to get up to speed with cars. From what I can tell the blue and red "MOTO" sticker color combo is slightly more rare than the more common Red and yellow "MOTO" or blue and yellow "MOTO". From what I can tell, nothing at all has been done to it since the purchase of it in 1985 (I'm not the first owner). Actually, I take that back. It's got slightly larger tires for trail riding and I think it was self-serviced until the previous owner handed it off to the motorcycle shop it was sold to.

I really do enjoy going out to the large desert lots around my house (I live in Vegas so there's plenty of those to go around). It's a bit scary going up hills since it's a bit low due to the lack of suspension (It's like that from the factory). But even though I'm emotionally stressed and tired after I get home I still love this little thing.

What really gets me is trying to get home without being hit by a car or getting caught by a police officer. I actually already had an accident on this thing, the quad was undamaged but my emotional state definitely was, I'm way more alert now. It happened on my way home, I was just heading back from off-roading when a white Accord decided it was the best time to make a U-turn. I tried to swerve but since the quad is a bit unstable it went on two wheels, I fell off and rolled, and the ATV got back on all fours and rolled away into somebody's driveway. That really hit me hard.

But as I said, I still love this like I love my cars, I try to treat it as best as I can even though it's made to be beat up a little. I've had quite a few adventures with this little thing even though I'd only picked it up from the shop a few weeks ago for $450. I've found custom built MX tracks, accidentally stumbled upon somebody's property and gotten yelled at, crashed (as mentioned), gone miles away from my home, etc...And there's many more to come.

Here's a few pictures of the quad. :wink:

Here's some video of it idling as well.

http://goo.gl/YNa5pl

P.S. If anybody has the specs on this thing, please reply, I have no clue about how the specs are. I've heard from others that it can reach up to 45 MP/H but from first hand experience I don't think that's true. Anyway, thanks!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]